Guns: U.S. compared to world

Discussion in 'Indiana Glockers' started by boilergonzo, Aug 29, 2007.

1. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

Interesting article. It just spells out how many guns each country is estimated to have. Hard to extract meaningful data. For example the U.S. is grouped with Sweden and Finland (sounds safe, huh?) AND Serbia and Iraq (Iraq being the other end of the spectrum regarding the perception of "safe").

Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:43 PM ET
    By Laura MacInnis
    GENEVA (Reuters) - The United States has 90 guns for every 100 citizens, making it the most heavily armed society in the world, a report released on Tuesday said.
    U.S. citizens own 270 million of the world's 875 million known firearms, according to the Small Arms Survey 2007 by the Geneva-based Graduate Institute of International Studies.
    About 4.5 million of the 8 million new guns manufactured worldwide each year are purchased in the United States, it said.
    "There is roughly one firearm for every seven people worldwide. Without the United States, though, this drops to about one firearm per 10 people," it said.
    India had the world's second-largest civilian gun arsenal, with an estimated 46 million firearms outside law enforcement and the military, though this represented just four guns per 100 people there. China, ranked third with 40 million privately held guns, had 3 firearms per 100 people.
    Germany, France, Pakistan, Mexico, Brazil and Russia were next in the ranking of country's overall civilian gun arsenals.
    On a per-capita basis, Yemen had the second most heavily armed citizenry behind the United States, with 61 guns per 100 people, followed by Finland with 56, Switzerland with 46, Iraq with 39 and Serbia with 38.
    France, Canada, Sweden, Austria and Germany were next, each with about 30 guns per 100 people, while many poorer countries often associated with violence ranked much lower. Nigeria, for instance, had just one gun per 100 people.
    "Firearms are very unevenly distributed around the world. The image we have of certain regions such as Africa or Latin America being awash with weapons -- these images are certainly misleading," Small Arms Survey director Keith Krause said.
    "Weapons ownership may be correlated with rising levels of wealth, and that means we need to think about future demand in parts of the world where economic growth is giving people larger disposable income," he told a Geneva news conference.
    The report, which relied on government data, surveys and media reports to estimate the size of world arsenals, estimated there were 650 million civilian firearms worldwide, and 225 million held by law enforcement and military forces.
    Five years ago, the Small Arms Survey had estimated there were a total of just 640 million firearms globally.
    "Civilian holdings of weapons worldwide are much larger than we previously believed," Krause said, attributing the increase largely to better research and more data on weapon distribution networks.
    Only about 12 percent of civilian weapons are thought to be registered with authorities.
    © Reuters 2007. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by caching, framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters and the Reuters sphere logo are registered trademarks and trademarks of the Reuters group of companies around the world.

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=topNews&storyid=2007-08-28T174254Z_01_L28348938_RTRUKOC_0_US-WORLD-FIREARMS.xml&src=rss&rpc=22&sp=true

2. epsylum

epsylum Guest

:upeyes: at the whole thing.

I do like how they hide deep in the article and only give two sentences to the fact that most countries that are considered to be "violent" have very low numbers of civilian owned guns.

Maybe they can do a break down of who owns the most cars per capita as well. I am willing to bet we top that one as well and makes as much sense as guns per captia.

3. Pitmaster

Pitmaster

I'm betting the research is skewed to show the US as awash in guns. I don't see anything that says they are excluding the military's ownership of guns.

4. KSFreeman

KSFreeman Guest

I am ashamed of us. Only 61 guns per 100? What's wrong with you people?

You MUST go MORE guns and get that ratio to at least 1:1.

5. opus1776

opus1776

Ahhhhhh kirk,

The 61% stat is for yemen, the U.S. is at 90:100 (the first line of the article) :tongueout:

6. XDHSr

XDHSr

The article is nice (yawn) but I would just out of curiosity I would love to know the number of guns per capita, by US state. Wouldn't that be interesting?

7. MakeMineaP99

MakeMineaP99 Guest

I'm sure IN has more guns than MI. :tongueout: ;)

8. gunbuyer

gunbuyer