Gunman sprays DC crowd, killing 4 and wounding 5

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by dac1204, Mar 31, 2010.

1. dac1204

dac1204

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100331...jA3luX3RvcF9zdG9yaWVzBHNsawNndW5tYW5zcHJheXM-

By NAFEESA SYEED, Associated Press Writer Nafeesa Syeed, Associated Press Writer – 1 hr 6 mins ago
    WASHINGTON – A gunman sprayed bullets from a moving vehicle into a crowd in southeast Washington, killing four and wounding at least five others before leading police on a chase into Maryland.

Three people were arrested in the worst shooting in D.C. in 16 years. The D.C. councilman who represents the area, former Mayor Marion Barry, said a dispute between groups in the neighborhood caused the shooting.

Six men and three women were hit by the gunfire around 7:30 p.m., said D.C. police spokesman Officer Hugh Carew. Fire department spokesman Pete Piringer said all were in their 20s and 30s, except for one teenager.

Police have not released the names of the victims, but Rico Scott said his cousin, 19-year-old DeVaughn Boyd, was one of those killed.

Boyd was a high school senior who didn't hang out with the wrong crowd, said Scott, who visited the shooting scene Wednesday morning. Boyd liked to go to the mall and the movies with friends, as well as parties that featured go-go music, a mix of soul, funk and Latin styles, Boyd said.

Boyd's mother was initially told that her son was taken to Washington Hospital Center, then learned early Wednesday he was pronounced dead at a different hospital, Scott said.

"She's not good because she wasn't able to see her baby boy before he succumbed to his injuries. She wasn't able to give him one last, 'It's going to be all right,'" Scott said. "She's not going to be all right for some time."

By late Tuesday, one victim had died at the scene, a second was pronounced dead at a hospital and the third died in an operating room, officials said. It wasn't immediately clear where the fourth victim had died.

The shooting was the worst in D.C. since 1994, when four men fired into a crowd at the O Street Market, killing a teenager and wounding eight other people. A man was convicted of orchestrating the shooting to retaliate against people who had shot him in the stomach and robbed him several weeks earlier. He believed the people who had attacked him often visited the market.

Four D.C. officers were slightly injured while chasing a suspect's vehicle into neighboring Prince George's County in Maryland, authorities said. A weapon was also recovered.

The Washington Post reported that police, aided by a helicopter, pursued a van from the scene.

Two men were to be arraigned in the shooting Wednesday afternoon, but a spokeswoman for the U.S. attorney's office did not immediately know what their charges were. It was also not clear whether the two men were among the three already arrested.

Officers had cleared the shooting scene Wednesday, but there were still five police cruisers parked outside a brick garden-style apartment building on a main road that links the area to downtown. There was a blood-covered gauze package on the sidewalk, which was wet and smelled of bleach.

The shootings were in a neighborhood near a water treatment plant and Bolling Air Force Base and about seven miles from the White House. D.C. Councilman Phil Mendelson said the area was known for drugs and related violence.

"It's not a stranger to violent activity, unfortunately," said Mendelson, the chairman of the D.C. Council's Committee on Public Safety and the Judiciary.

Barry, who had been briefed by police, said it appears "crews" — groups of friends who are not necessarily organized as gangs — had some sort of dispute with each other.

"I'm saddened. I'm outraged. I'm angry," Barry said. "We have a tough enough reputation anyway," he said of his district.

He said he was worried about further retaliation between groups, but that he had been reassured by police.

Washington reported 143 homicides last year, the fewest in nearly 50 years.

____

Associated Press writer Jessica Gresko contributed to this report

2. walt cowan

walt cowan

fighting over red and blue boxer shorts again.

3. Annoyedgrunt

Annoyedgrunt Dry Heat my ASS

Damn... too bad that SCOTUS shot down (no pun intended) DC's gun ban, or this would have been prevented.

4. Ljay

Ljay Micky's Packin

Too bad crack head Marion Barry didn't get it:rant:

[​IMG]

5. 220-9er

220-9er

i thought DC only allowed guns in your home now.

6. Nicky D

Nicky D CLM

How is this possible when guns were banned in DC??

7. crazymoose

crazymoose Nonentity

I love the tactful phrasing "a dispute between groups in the area." Translated from Bull**** to English, this means "this drive-by was part of a gang war."

8. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

I'll bet he went through all the steps to make sure his gun was legally owned and registered. It would shock me if he didn't, after all that's what the whole registration was for, right?

9. michael88

michael88

well if they make it sound like the people killed were nothing but innocents this can be more leftist ammo for gun bans.

10. Jon_R

Jon_R

The magazine limit is 10 rounds in DC so the shooter is actually pretty effecient.

11. ssfeldjager

ssfeldjager

Isn't this considered as "normal" in places like DC, Detroit, Atlanta, etc.? :dunno:

12. Nickotym

Nickotym BillofNeeds?NO!

WTOP news had a story this morning about this. They said Police thought it was an AK47 Assault rifle. I call BS on the AK47 angle.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  13. Nickotym

Nickotym BillofNeeds?NO!

Washington Post is now calling it an AK47-style assault rifle. My bet is a Ruger 10-22 is what we will see when they finally show the picture.

14. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

15. user

user VaLegalDefense

Exactly - when I heard that news story, I thought, "they must be lying - the District of Washington has laws against possession of firearms."

16. Jon_R

Jon_R

I am sure it will be held up as an example of the perils the District faces from the ruling on Heller. :faint:Before that the gang bangers just rode around in their cars air gunning at people.

17. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

so they've made three arrests. they gonna hang any of 'em for it?

18. DARKSHADOW

DARKSHADOW My Work Hobby CLM

Wow, lots of word's to drag out what could have just been titled "Gang Shooting".
    And of course the must have "he was a good boy that never hungout with the wrong crowd".
    What she meant to say was, he never hungout with the red crowd, only the blue. (red crowd meaning the wrong crowd).

19. Gokyo

Gokyo

Hey Maybe I am being stupid but i thought DS vs miller returned the right to own to possess firearms in DC.

20. moncoacp

moncoacp

What is this?

Clip, Clop, Clip, Clop, BANG!

Answer: An Amish Drive By

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010