Gunman kills 32 in Virginia Tech rampage

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by Arpee, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Arpee

Arpee Still a member

Sad news; I just hope this won't be used as a basis by those who advocate no guns.

===================================================

BLACKSBURG, Va. - A gunman massacred 32 people at Virginia Tech in the deadliest shooting rampage in modern U.S. history Monday, cutting down his victims in two attacks two hours and a half-mile apart before the university could figure out what was going on and get the warning out to students.

The bloodbath ended with the gunman committing suicide, bringing the death toll to 33 and stamping the campus in the picturesque Blue Ridge Mountains with tragedy, perhaps forever.

More news here:
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070416/ap_on_re_us/virginia_tech_shooting

2. Sweater

Sweater

Lets just take a moment to say our prayers to the victims and their families.GOD bless.

3. navychief

navychief Guest

yup, this might affect future legislation on gun ownership. another "columbine type" tragedy, he probably took his dad's guns since he's too young (19) to own them.

4. bulm540

bulm540

Definitely. Let us not speculate on the motive and identity of the gunman. Fox is reporting he is on a student Visa and he is not 19.

5. navychief

navychief Guest

i stand corrected on the shooters age...

6. bikethief

bikethief itchy trigger

Another case where an armed security person or a CCW carrying faculty member could have made a big difference in the body count. Dialling 911 is all good but in this case, the police arrived just to pick up the pieces. If the shepherd is always a phonecall away, then the sheep will never be safe from the wolf. Let's get some of those sheep armed and prepared.

My heart goes out to the families of the victims.

7. isuzu

isuzu

I thought they improved their response time to attacks like these after 9/11. Imagine if it was a large scale terrorist attack. The authorities were caught with their pants down (again).

8. Benj

Benj

This is exactly why I always have a pistol on standby inside my school hehe

9. New_comer

New_comer

I believe this is the third, or fourth school shooting rampage of this sort. How come that this phenomenon only happens in the States? A lot of other countries allow gun ownership, but i don't remember any violence of this kind or magnitude...

CNN now reports the gunman was an Asian student....

Just the same, my prayers go to the 32 victims of this heinous tragedy...

:sad: :sad:

10. antediluvianist

antediluvianist Guest

CNN says the gunman used a .22 Walther and a 9mm Glock (exact model not indicated).

CNN seems to be speculating that it was a foreign student from South Korea.

11. flyinArmadillo

flyinArmadillo Guest

What is so sad is that my understanding is that VT is a military academy to begin with. I can’t help but to wonder why no one had a weapon around during this incident concealed unlawfully or otherwise. The whole circumstance is terrible, yet I fear it’s going to have far reaching tangibles that surface about gun laws in the future. The wild and woolly yet half crazed media is not pulling back any punches on this one, and everybody and his bother on cable tv has a comment to make in very discrete and non discrete voices. I just keep having a little verbal icon light up in my silly mind since this happened and as I watch the news..., and it says, “I’d be very sad if the gun control laws change as a result of this”!

I am truly saddened by all this as I can only imagine what the families are experiencing and what they will experience from the media in the future. And I am sure some will speak out against guns in our country. Yet the heartbreak has got to be a tough one.

12. Arpee

Arpee Still a member

Taken from:
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/usa_crime_shooting_world_dc;_ylt=ArE5pTw9jTDs23xWqnW9KGjZa7gF

(read the last few paragraphs)

:sad:

Massacre sparks foreign criticism of U.S. gun culture

Prime Minister John Howard said tough Australian legislation introduced after a mass shooting in Tasmania in 1996 had prevented the U.S. gun culture emerging in his country.
    The Australians subsequently imposed laws banning almost all types of semi-automatic weapons.

"We showed a national resolve that the gun culture that is such a negative in the United States would never become a negative in our country," said Howard, extending sympathies to the families of the victims at Virginia Tech university.

The attacker killed himself in a classroom after opening fire on students and staff in an apparently premeditated massacre on Monday morning.

The gunman was an Asian male who was a student at the university and a dormitory resident, Virginia Tech President Charles Steger told CNN. His name was not released.
    British Prime Minister

Iran, at loggerheads with the United States over its nuclear program, spoke out against the killings.

"Iran condemns the killing of Virginia university students and expresses its condolences to the families of victims and the American nation," Foreign Ministry spokesman Mohammad Ali Hosseini said in a statement, which was faxed to Reuters.

"AS AMERICAN AS APPLE PIE"
    European newspapers saw a grim inevitability about the shootings, given the right to bear arms which is enshrined in America's constitution. In Italy, the Leftist Il Manifesto newspaper said the shooting was "as American as apple pie."

More than 30,000 people die from gunshot wounds in the United States annually and there are more guns in private hands than in any other country. But a powerful gun lobby and support for gun ownership have largely thwarted attempts to tighten controls.

"It would be vain to hope that even so destructive a crime as this will cool the American ardor for guns," the Independent newspaper said in a commentary.
    Gerard Baker, a columnist for The Times newspaper, feared worse was yet to come: "The truth is that only an optimist would imagine Virginia Tech will hold the new record for very long."

France's Le Monde newspaper said such episodes frequently disfigure the "American dream."
    "The ... slaughter forces American society to once again examine itself, its violence, the obsession with guns of part of its population, the troubles of its youth, subjected to the double tyranny of abundance and competition," it wrote.

Campaigners in other countries where gun ownership is common expressed fears of a similar massacre.

Nandy Pacheco, head of the Philippines anti-gun lobby, Gunless Society, said he feared it could happen there.

"Not a day passes without a gun-related incident happening (in the Philippines). You hear it on radio, see it on TV and read it in newspapers," he said.

Gun ownership is commonplace in the Philippines, from housewives worried about burglary to politicians fearful of assassination. There are around 1.1 million guns, and police estimate that around 30 percent of them are unlicensed.

Shootings over trivial incidents are commonplace. A few years ago several fatal karaoke bar shootouts were sparked by poor renditions of Frank Sinatra's "My Way."

(Additional reporting by Francois Murphy in Paris, Phil Stewart in Rome and Kate Kelland and Parisa Hafezi in London)

13. charlie-xray

charlie-xray Guest

Aussies are known conservatives so it's natural for them to act this way, again let us focus on the state of mind of the culprit and not the tools he used in doing it.

Could we blame and ban the makers of shovel or chalks if he smashed somebody's head with a shovel and choked someone to death with a chalk.

So just look at the irony of these, if the professors or counselors inside VT were evenly armed with a sidearm like in Boston then they would have stood a chance of defending themselves or even levelling the playing field.

14. horge

horge -=-=-=-=- Lifetime Member

The incident should actually be used as an argument
    FOR handgun ownership and carry. If every one of
    those students had been packing (or at least if there
    was a probability that they were) do you think the shooter
    would've had the stones to even try??

h.

15. isuzu

isuzu

Just watched NBC and CBS evening news. Turned out that the gunman is a Permanent Resident in the US with his family. He was from South Korea. He bought a Glock 19 from a gunshop called Roanoke Firearms and bought a Walther P22 from a pawnshop months before he purchased the Glock.

People intervied said that he was a loner and wrote short stories full of hate.

A professor of VT also advised him to go for counselling.

16. isuzu

isuzu

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think carrying a firearm is not allowed in schools in the US.

17. theTactician

theTactician

yeah, pretty tragic huh. saw it in the news yesterday and was also kinda upset knowing that these firearms we love end up in the wrong hands, psychopaths and lowlifes like the gunman who killed 3o people at virginia tech. they said the gunman is asian. im not so sure about it though.
    i dont think they're gonna prohibit selling guns to the public coz the government knows that we have the right to protect ourselves. maybe what they should do is, other than giving the handgun safety certificate exam, they should undergo psych evaluation like the ones we have in the philippines.
    ang mahirap pa nga dito sa states, if you buy rifles, or long guns for that matter, you dont need to have a handgun safety ceritificate. they will just do a background check and thats it. you already have an assault rifle or a sniper rifle.

18. Evan N. Payawal

Evan N. Payawal

Nandy Pacheco, head of the Philippines anti-gun lobby, Gunless Society, said he feared it could happen there.

"Not a day passes without a gun-related incident happening (in the Philippines). You hear it on radio, see it on TV and read it in newspapers," he said.

Gun ownership is commonplace in the Philippines, from housewives worried about burglary to politicians fearful of assassination. There are around 1.1 million guns, and police estimate that around 30 percent of them are unlicensed.

----
    Well Mr Pacheco, if there are so many guns in the Philippines, why has nothing like this EVER happened in the Philippines?

So are the GUNS the problem?

CNN reported it's ILLEGAL to bring a handgun to university in Virginia. Hmm..
    So if someone had simply reminded the killer that it was illegal to bring the gun to school, then he would've just gone home and all those people would be alive?

Making something illegal isn't a magic spell that will make it go away. Banning ownership of firearms will not make all the guns magically go away, and we all live in peace.
    If you legislate against firearms ownership, only the criminals will have them.

Oh, you mean the police will protect us and our families? Even in the US where police response is supposed to be very efficient, he managed to kill 33 students (and wound many more) before police got to him. He didn't even have a full-auto weapon.

19. theTactician

theTactician

the gunman allegedly used only 2 kinds of handguns, a .22LR and a 9mm...not even a .357 sig or a .45 ACP. and he managed to kill 31 people or so. then surely enough, he killed himself coz he doesnt wanna get caught alive. this gunman is committed to dying as if he's got nothing to lose. maybe out of his mind or somethin. but he's crazy thats for sure.

20. theTactician

theTactician

the gunman allegedly used only 2 kinds of handguns, a .22LR and a 9mm...not even a .357 sig or a .45 ACP. and he managed to kill 31 people or so. then surely enough, he killed himself coz he doesnt wanna get caught alive. this gunman is committed to dying as if he's got nothing to lose. maybe out of his mind or somethin. but he's crazy thats for sure.