gun transport

Discussion in 'California Glockers' started by srh182, Aug 26, 2007.

1. srh182

srh182

What are the laws for when I am transporting my gun to the range can I keep the gun and ammo in the same case does the case have to be locked also can I have my mags loaded

2. AAshooter

AAshooter

The California Dept of Justice web site has the rules. They vary greatly depending on whether we are talking handguns, long guns, or assualt weapons.

Generally, guns have to be unloaded (chamber and magazine). No ammunition can be attached to the gun (butt cuffs, side saddles, etc.)It is advised that detached magazines are fully unloaded. Handguns and, I believe, assualt weapons, need to be transported in a locked case (glove compartment or center console in car can't be used). As I recall, handguns can be transported uncased in full sight but it is not recommended.

Most I know carry ammo separately from gun but not sure it is actually a requirement. Long guns do not have to be in a locked case.

Further there are restrictions as to when you can have a gun in the the car. For example, I don't think legally, you can leave a handgun in the car all the time.

A great summary of the gun laws can be ordered here: http://www.crpa.org/showpages.asp?pid=1010

Or, this book is also a valuable resource:http://www.amazon.com/How-Own-Gun-Stay-Jail/dp/0964286440

3. tatsuosan1964

tatsuosan1964

The handguns and assault rifles kept in the trunk of the vehicle also qualifies as a locked compartment. Pickup truck and SUV owners beware that a separate locked container must be used in these vehicles without a trunk. OK to leave magazines loaded but may not be inserted into the weapon.Some states require mags to be empty but California does not. No requirement to transport ammo separately either.May not be attached to the actual firearm in any manner. In Cali the mags are not considered part of the firearm but may not inserted loaded in the firearm regardless of loaded chamber (unless hunting). I recommend besides reading the previous suggestions, check out sections 12025, 12026, and 12031 of the California Penal Code. http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/waisgate?WAISdocID=23649616683+0+0+0&WAISaction=retrieve

4. AAshooter

AAshooter

If you are going to use the trunk of your vehicle as the "locked container", just be aware that transporting the firearm to and from your car can be problematic.

For example, if you are carrying a cased (but not locked) handgun from your parking place on the street to an indoor range down the street, you are illegally carrying a concealed firearm unless you have a CCW permit or are a LEO.