Gun Statistics

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by 9x45, Oct 8, 2015.

1. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

From the LA Times today

[​IMG]

2. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Typical antigun liberal piece. Sprinkle in a little truth, like the number of gun deaths but leave out the number of justifiable shootings and the number of people whose lives were saved by guns.
    Then a fool that knows little to nothing about guns telling you how you won't be able to protect yourself even if you had a gun.

Years back there was a guy that wrote a antigun column in the Ft Worth paper.
    I wrote to him and told him if he was an honest journalist he would do something like go through the Texas Concealed Carry class and get his CHL. Even if he was still anti gun he could write with knowledge and truth.
    He wasn't interest.
    Typical antigun liberal. I'm not interested in the truth. I'm only interested in my opinion.

3. MooMooBoo

MooMooBoo

What would going through a CCW class provide?

4. Planetcat

Planetcat

His statistics might have been slightly interesting had he not included gun-related suicide to inflate the numbers. Once again, an "author" with a bias trying to show that he's unbiased by stating a bunch of independent stats to support his/her point. But in the end, still biased and even the stats presented are not applicable to the author's cause.

5. hogship

hogship A republic, if you can keep it! Silver Member

I think it would provide a little insight into how it's possible to defend yourself, if the occasion presents itself.

6. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Like hogship said.

It seems to me that if a person is going to express their opinion in front the world, they should have some actual hands on experience and knowledge about the subject.

By going through the CHL class that writer would get a two day crash course, from probably a working Policeman, in the subject he is very opinioned about but really knows nothing.

Of course being a typical antigun liberal he was only interested in his own opinion.

7. MooMooBoo

MooMooBoo

Im still not seeing what a CCW course would do. I learned basically nothing other than the laws and watched a movie. These laws can be googled. I then shot whatever at 21 ft and that was it. Can someone explain to.me how a CCW course would help an ignorant person? I surely dont see it.

Its like saying you guys should take a journalism.class or debate class before you give that writer a rebuttal. It wont do much, but yes it is related to.journalism.or writing.

8. hogship

It depends on how well the class is presented, and how informative the instructor is. I'm sure some classes are better than others. You're absolutely right that the reporter could get nothing out of the class, but I suspect that if he starts spouting anti-gun sentiment, he's going to get some input to the contrary. If he's open to listening to opinions that are contrary to his beliefs, then there may be some additional things to learn that he hadn't thought of.

I suspect the reporter is not open to views, other than what he wants to believe, or has been indoctrinated to believe......so, in that case, there will be noting gained by the ccw class.

9. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

There are so many idiotic statements in that article, I'm not even going to start.

10. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

:rofl: You actually wouldn't know, would you?

11. MooMooBoo

MooMooBoo

Did the one in Missouri which heavily influenced why I didnt do it here.

12. DonD

DonD

Some years ago the LA Times commissioned a study that indicated that there were a phenomenal number of incidents of guns used in self defense that were never reported to LE. They didn't like their own study.

Of course the anti gun crowd whines about some 35,000 deaths annually due to guns, omitting that 2/3rds of those are suicides that might will have happened anyway using a different method of offing one's self.

Subtract gangbanger drivebys and turf wars and the number shrinks substantially. I consider gangbanger fatalities civic improvement.

Data coming from liberal medical groups isn't worth the paper it's printed on like most "info" the leftists generate. Don

13. MooMooBoo

MooMooBoo

How would a gun used in self defense not get reported?

I agree about suicide, when obama released the numbers about "gun violence" in the us vs terrorist attacks, I was disappointed they didnt at minimum remove suicides

14. KWalrad

KWalrad No Wire Hangers!

The article should have been called "Michael Shermer's Gun Fantasy". Just another example of a lazy, opinionated " journalist" phoning it in instead of doing unbiased independant research. Typical Leftist propaganda.

15. hogship

Use the grey matter, and it becomes clear how and why a gun used in self defense isn't reported.

The presence of a gun stops far more crime than guns that are fired in self defense.

knite7 likes this.
  16. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Only in interested in furthering the agenda, which is to make people do what they want, even if it doesn't save any lives, and even if it takes away freedom. Liberal Fascism.

17. MooMooBoo

MooMooBoo

Yea I did think that but you cant really quantify that since it would be subjective and everyone would have to report it. Even the presence of no guns but the threat of having one would deter crime. Use your grey matter.

18. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Every time the antis speak up more guns are sold. PLEASE keep it up!

19. fastbolt

fastbolt

Are deaths resulting from suicides, involving legal medications, tracked as deaths attributed to the medications?

Are suicides involving firearms treated differently than those involving deliberate use of medications?

Is it considered "drug violence" when a suicide involves the use of an otherwise lawfully possessed drug?

Why are suicides involving the use of guns considered "gun violence"? How did that category get created?

20. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

After all these years, the booklet "How to Lie With Statistics" is still a good read.

So in keeping with the way gun control advocates do math, lets do some math on wife beatings done with a fist. Instead of recognizing that we have a few guys beating their wives & doing it over and over, while the majority never hit a woman in their entire lives, lets analyze it this way:

Lets assume anyone who has a pair of fists is equally likely to be the next guy to go nuts and beat his wife into a coma, simply because fists are the most commonly used weapon in that crime. Then lets count up the number of times our local handful of wife-beaters does it, divide by the huge number of innocent male fists in the town, and falsely claim we've just calculated each mans personal odds of beating his wife tonight. Yeah, that's smart!! Lets pretend Goober's repeated criminal behavior somehow averages out over me and ten other guys in the neighborhood who never did such a thing in our whole lives!!

Bad gun behavior tends to be heavily concentrated in a small number of people who usually showed previous signs that they needed to lose all their 2A rights long before they did their crime. And this is just more faulty math from anti-gunners.