Gun shows?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by de8212, Aug 5, 2015.

1. de8212

de8212 Millennium Member

Not sure if this is the correct forum.

In the next few months we have an Eastmens and an RK Show. I havent been to a show in years but Im sure the prices arent great. Is either one of these typically better than the other or am I just wasting my time?

2. bac1023

bac1023

If you're just going for run of the mill stuff, prices generally aren't great. However, I have personally gotten some of the best deals of my life over the last few years on rare guns at shows that would have cost me a hell of a lot more on Gunbroker.

3. de8212

de8212 Millennium Member

Thanks. Mainly I am looking to build an AR so I might look for a lower. Ill factor in shipping and FFL fee and if I can get one close to that then I will purchase it.

Of course, I might find one within the next 2 weeks and just order it.

4. PaulMason

PaulMason

Your wasting you gas, entrance money and time. Think about how much you will be spending to get there and to get in. You can find a wider selection and better prices on line.

Mr Wasabi likes this.
  5. de8212

de8212 Millennium Member

Fair point. Although I havent been to a show in 5 or 6 years. I kinda want to go to one just to see if I see any odds or ends that look like an OK deal.
    The lower is the only thing I really need though. If I get one online from PSA it would be $60 plus shipping, plus FFL. No idea how much shipping. is. I'm thinking the total would be close to $100. And I would have to wait a week or so.
    Would finding a decent lower for , say, $115 or so be even remotely possible?

I do realize your point though.

6. bac1023

bac1023

In that case, I see no benefit of the show.

7. Mr Wasabi

Mr Wasabi

Didn't you find your P220 Sport at a gun show? That was an incredible deal.

I haven't had much luck at gun shows outside of getting some good jerky but I can see if you have the patience and knowledge to spot deals that may be there, it could be a good experience.

8. Mr Wasabi

Mr Wasabi

Totally agree.

9. GlockFan7

GlockFan7

My wife and I both enjoy attending gun shows. We have a couple of good ones a year that are less than a gallon of gas round trip and a few more within an hour or two. I do buy online sometimes, but I prefer the hands-on experience of a show. If I don't buy anything else, gas, admission for two, nachos and a couple of Cokes are cheaper than a movie and popcorn these days, so it's still a win. My wife's last Christmas present came from a gun show we had attended a month or so before.

PaulMason likes this.
  10. garya1961

garya1961

I got in to the gun shows late but I was a gun show fanatic. Now I go every once in a while. I go mainly just to get away from home for a while. I enjoy looking for the one oddball gun that no one else wants and I can get cheap. This includes old shotguns, military surplus rifles, cheap old pocket guns and such. If I want a new gun I just go to the local shop down the road where I know the owner.

PaulMason likes this.
  11. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

I'm not familiar with the particular show in question but as for the shows in my area (Virginia), I mainly go for the ammo and accessories. The majority of guns are either run of the mill (which is great if you know what you are ther for), or overpriced. The only shows I'll really make a trip for anymore is Tulsa and it's been a few years si de I've been and am headed there this Nov and I understand that even that show isn't quite what it used to be.

12. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

Nobody near you has a lower for sale? Where do you live, northern Alaska? They are very common. The large gun shows here cost $17 entry plus $8 to park. That pays for your transfer fees alone. And you seldom find anything under retail. Years ago they were a ton of fun when it was individuals horse trading and walking around with signs. Now the overpriced vendors have complained enough that the promoters have almost shut that down here.

13. Veronica Richardson

Veronica Richardson

I kinda want to go to one just to see if I see any odds or ends that look like an OK deal. [​IMG]

14. CajunBass

CajunBass

My wife and go all over the state of Virginia going to gun shows. We don't usually buy a thing, but we sure have fun. I think I've bought one gun at a show, and I might have sold a couple, but that's it. I have bought books, metal advertising signs (repo's), beef jerky, earrings, hot dogs, coke, pop corn, and other odds and ends. We also renew our NRA memberships which usually get's us into the show for free.

We look at guns, we talk about guns, we talk to people, and we watch people. A good time is had the whole time we're there. When we're tired we leave. On the way home we stop and have dinner somewhere.

I don't know about the shows you mentioned, but at the ones we go to you can't swing a cat and not hit an AR or pieces for an AR. I never look at that stuff because AR's don't interest me a bit but they're there. I don't know a thing about how the prices run, but people seem to buy them.

If you go to a gun show expecting to find a "screaming deal" every time you're probably going to disappointed, If you look at it as treasure hunt, or just plain entertainment you'll probably have a good time.

15. plp

plp

If you are looking for the best price and are willing to wait for delivery online beats gun show every time.

If you want to check out all the cool stuff and look at other folks doing the same, gun shows are a good way to do that. The last one I went to had S&B orange box in 7.62x54R, which has been tough to find online. I also picked up some more 7x57 Mauser, neither were cheap.

I also picked up some more .380 ACP and 9mm, which was cheaper than most online prices. Lots of the regular vendors seem to overstocked on some weapons, saw two PMR 30's, both under 500 for the first time at any gun show I've attended.

16. 03scgt

03scgt

Ive honestly bought several guns this year at shows for less than internet pricing.I always ask for a cash deal and 95% of the time its the same otd or less than me buying it online.Theres no shortage of people asking 650 for 3rd gen glock 19's though lol

17. de8212

de8212 Millennium Member

thanks for all the info. As I said, I might just go ahead and order a lower in the next week or two. I'm really in no hurry and the next gun show is towards the end of this month. Plus my dad mentioned he might want to go so I might just go to hang out there with him and just see what all is there.

I live in GA so there are local shops but I don't know of any that sell lowers. Maybe they do but the last time I went to a few local stores (looking for a 10/22 for my son) the local stores had pretty high prices. I'm all for buying local when the prices are close but no way am I paying a high markup.

18. PaulMason

PaulMason

Where in GA? Adventure Ourdoor in Smyrna has a wide selection and good prices.

19. Darkangel1846

Darkangel1846

I go to 2 gun shows every year both are put on by my gun club. I haven't bought a gun at a show in 15 years. but you can find good deals on accessories and maybe ammo. find yourself a good private gun dealer and start going to them and only use them, you will b

20. Qman2

Qman2

RK has a gun show about 10 minutes from my place about every other month. You can go to their website and usually get a $1 coupon. Regardless, I figure $8-$9 is cheap to entertain me walking around the show. Like anything, to be sure you get the best deals you need to know what the items sell for outside of the gun shows....online or through the LGS. Don't buy at the first table you see something....I've seen prices vary $20-$50 depending on the item from one vendor to another.