close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gun shows and trading

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Turbo6PGT, Mar 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turbo6PGT

Turbo6PGT

Okay so I have not gone to more than a couple local gun shows because they usually don't have a great vendor turnout, especially for firearms. I'm curious about how willing the guys at the shows are to do deals on trades. I've had one of those cheapy hi-point 9mm carbines laying around for a few years, maybe 50 rounds put through it. I'm looking to buy a ccw revolver and there are usually a few vendors with pistols so I thought about trying to offer a trade. But I have 2 concerns. 1) Will they ever do trades, and 2) do they royally hose you on what you're trying to trade? I know they have to make profits but outside of forums like this and gunbroker it's hard to sell a firearm legally. So I'm thinking this may be a good opportunity to pawn a like new gun for something I need. What say you??

2. Aegis Athletics

Aegis Athletics

prepare to lose your shirt. Private sales are the only way to get real value out of your gun.

3. Fastfordsrus

Fastfordsrus

+1 However, you might get lucky. I would study up on pricing of the pistol you want, because it is my experience that at gun shows most people want as much for used as you can get new if you look around.

4. Frank V

Frank V

Turbo

My experience with gun shows is: Now & then you can get a good deal, not often. Around here SW Montana, most dealers list their guns at retail +10%. I don't see a lot of good prices at the shows. Usually the guns are priced high, that being the case, if I see a gun I'm interested in I'll ask if he can take such & such an ammount. I usually go onto gunbroker.com & look up the gun I'm interested it to see what various people in different parts of the country are asking for their guns. Be aware, though, that guns priced on gunbroker without a bid just may be priced too high.
    I usually go to a show to buy components.

Your second question as to whether dealers are trying to hose you, is yes, they are. Some might not, but you can usually prepare yourself to be offered less than you are thinking, usually WAY less. I have asked why their prices are so high also, & been told the "we have to make a profit" story too. If they are way out of line I'll counter with something like. I don't mind anyone making a profit, but not all off me.

Gun shows are fun & you can see a lot of different guns, but do some research before you go, & know they are trying to make a profit, sometimes a huge profit.:upeyes:
    Good luck.
    Frank

5. ZekerMan

ZekerMan ZekerMan

I would venture to say that on a trade 95% of the time you will be dropping your drawers and backing into the stall for your hosing. Like the above post said its better to sell your gun privately then go to buy after some research. I was offered $300 trade for my LNIB G22 this weekend at the GunShow:rofl:so I just bought what I wanted with cash in hand. Good Luck.

6. samurairabbi

samurairabbi Dungeon Schmuck

There are TWO types of gun show sales: 1) Selling to an FFL dealer at the show, and 2) selling to a private person at a show - if legal in your state. A dealer will offer you a WHOLESALE price, however brutal or inaccurate that price is. A private person will offer you something close to HIS version of a RETAIL price. The difference, in price and in pride, can be enormous.

Know the difference between the two types of buyers; it will save you a lot of grief. Sometimes, even the SAME buyer can be EITHER type, depending on if he is buying for resale or for his own collection.

7. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

From my experience working and being a customer at gun shows you can find good deals. Sometimes they are right away sometimes it takes a while and sometimes you see vendors mis-judging he market and their pricing is off from their competition. Trading or selling a gun to a vendor should be a 2nd to last resort (pawn is last).

You are better on Gunbroker or a private sale at a gun show, follow you local laws on that. With the gun you are trying to move it may take some time. You could always go into a local gun store and see what they are wiling to give you or what they will charge for consignment (where they will sell your gun for you at a price range agreed upon and they charge a fee). Vendors will most likely value your gun low, example. As a vendor we got the Srpingfield XD's in for about $325 (this price was many years ago) but sold them for $499. If someone were to sell it back we would take it less of what our cost is and minus wear and tear. A guy sold it back for about $250 (why would a company buy a used gun for more or close to what they can get a new gun for) after a few hundred rounds, in turn sold the gun for $415.

It also depends on the demand for your gun at the time. If its in demand then you should find a private party sale quick if not you have to juggle the waiting frustration vs the just get rid of it and get something now dilemma.

Good luck, hopefully you get a fair deal.

:50cal:

8. poodleplumber

poodleplumber

I've only been to one gun show in the last decade, but new Hi-Points were plentiful and priced at less than $200. Ask yourself whether you would rather just keep the pistol rather than get less than $100 for it, which is what I would expect.

ETA: Sorry but I misread your initial post and thought you were referring to the Hi-Point pistol rather than carbine. I didn't see carbines, and don't know about their current pricing. My apologies.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  9. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

Armslist.com -- I bought off of there FTF. Cleveland and Cinci seem to have the most offerings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.