Gun Show Safety?

Discussion in 'Pennsylvania Glockers Club' started by Arc Angel, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Does this make any sense to you?

Yesterday, I went to the, 'big gun show' at The Fernwood Hotel in Smithfield Township. As I'm walking down the hall I see this large sign on the show's entrance door. (Same sign I saw at the Allentown show a few weeks ago.) It read, 'All carry guns must be checked and tied.'

So, unlike Allentown where I told the two goofy guys at the front door nobody was going to tie up my pistol with anything, (and subsequently ended up at, 'The Firing Line' instead) I looked at the nice old lady sitting behind the admission table; and asked her if it would be OK for me to tie up my own pistol. She replied, 'Why, yes, you sound like my husband.' 'He won't let anyone touch his pistol either.' (Well done, lady!) ;)

All she asked was that I hand her my gun so she could, safety check it. No problem! Before she could blink, I had dropped the magazine, pointed the muzzle at the floor, and racked the slide twice before I handed it to her. (I was in C-3, anyway, but still ...... .)

Well, here's where the goofy stuff really starts: First, she didn't have the hand strength to pull the slide back; so I had to take the pistol away from her and lock the slide, myself. Then she left the plastic tie lock on top of the slide; so I was unable to reholster the pistol without having to use a lot of excess force.

She remained pleasant and wanted to help. Together we, both, jerked around with that plastic tie until I was finally able to slide the locking tab directly over the muzzle and easily reholster the pistol again.

Did you know that all this back and forth, dropping the magazine, checking the chamber 3 times, and yanking and pulling on the tie until the pistol would reholster is required by the show's insurance regulations? Kind 'a makes me wonder what complete frigg 'in idiot is writing the insurance regs?

It would have been so much safer, so much easier, if the admissions staff would just leave peoples' EDC's alone. There is no viable safety regulation against human stupidity. Yes I know, and have known, idiots who own and carry guns. The only real protection against these, too often, mischievous nitwits is to stay away from them.

In the tradeoff between clearing and tying up your pistol, (No bullet trap, no sand barrel, not even a suggested safe direction in which to point the muzzle) and just plain leaving the pistol alone, yesterday, convinced me that leaving the pistol entirely alone is, unquestionably, the safest and most practical thing to do.

Like I said, an idiot with a gun is always going to be an idiot with a gun. There's no stopping that. In my opinion the sign at the front door of every gunshow should read, 'Keep your carry pistol inside its holster at all times. No exceptions - Period!'

(As for the guys who sell holsters? Let 'um sell them the same way they do on the internet. I did see one holster seller at this show who had a number of blue-colored pistol castings on his table. I thought that was smart!)

Besides, as far as I know, the last two non-intentional firearm discharges at a Pennsylvania gun show were committed by one of the show's sellers while handling a long arm - NOT by one of the show's visiting attendees with a pistol. This whole ridiculous gun show safety policy of handling and rehandling peoples' carry pistols is just plain frigg 'in nutz to me.

Quite frankly, a lot of these gun shows are starting to get really boring. In the past year, or so, I seen very few authentic gun show, 'good buys' on anything - including ammunition. Camaraderie aside, you can usually do better on the internet.

Even the, 'For Sale' ads here are often better than anything I saw yesterday; and I don't have to wrap my EDC in plastic in order to sign onto Glock Talk.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
    Aragorn77 and jk_226 like this.
  2. GEN3

GEN3

I agree with you on all fronts. I've seen the sign your talking about and it never really made a whole lot of sense to me. When I CCW my gun in public I would never take it out of my holster unless I had a need to use it. To me a gun show is no exception to any other public place. As far as prices go I haven't found a good deal in a while at one. If your looking for something specific and out of the ordinary you might luck out. Maybe not so much on the price but just that you were able to find it. But if your looking for a deal on a standard production gun good luck.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011

3. jkglock

jkglock

Not exactly the way I read the signs out front of the Split Rock show or the Wind Gap show. Their signs said carry in wepons shall be checked i.e all guns coming off the street to be sold locally at the show. The rest of the sign said "Pa carry laws apply". I Purposely waited and watched before I entered to observe how this was being executed. To me what's the point of a CCW if you have to advertise your carry every time you go into a public environment. I kept my peace (G23) and went on in no problems no shoot out, was all quite on the western front!

Both guns shows were over priced

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  4. Thomas Betress

Thomas Betress

I don't understand why I can go in the show, purchase a firearm, receive it immediately after the background check, purchase ammunition there and if so inclined load it and carry it, yet they are worried about me carrying in my own!!!!!

Doesn't make sense to me.

frank battaglia likes this.
  5. Gun Shark

Gun Shark

I don't know about your gun shows, but here all guns have that zip tie. Whether purchase or not.

That being said, I too disagree with the policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

I disagree also but there are idiots with guns out there.

7. frank battaglia

frank battaglia

Hi, I certainly do agree with you 100% as I sell at various gun shows & we are not allowed to strap openly or concealed. I sell at most Eagle Arms shows in the Lehigh Valley Area. I also thing it makes us sellers a target for some maniac to come in & either rob or kill us. I do see their safety concern as the last Oaks show a dealer had an accidental discharge showing someone his pistol during the set up. CRAZY! But I do agree if you are going to clear firearms at least have a sand bucket to do it safely.

8. DonGlock26

DonGlock26

My gun show is called "the internet" these days.......
    The ones near me were usually at a shady flea market, so I'm losing the
    opportunity to buy Rambo knives from the far east, a velvet Elvis, or the ultra rare velvet Kenny Rogers painting.

[​IMG]

9. frank battaglia

frank battaglia

10. frank battaglia

frank battaglia

I don't blame you...the last Allentown show I sold at super bowl sunday weekend there were barely 3 firearms dealers there...they were selling everything but guns...one of the customers complained very loudly.

11. R9S19

R9S19

I had to do that at bass pro. Check this out.

I bought a S&W 637. The next day, I went back and bought a holster and wanted to check the fit, but I had to go back downstairs to the greeter, unload my revolver, have her put a trigger lock on it, and then go back upstairs to the firearms section to have them unlock the trigger lock to allow me to check the fit. Well, there were 18 people ahead of me and all of them were purchasing firearms, so I would have been there for hours and hours. So I went back downstairs to the greeter and said lady, I'm just gonna buy the damn holster, go sit in my car and check the fit. If it doesn't fit well, I'll come back in and return it. She said that it was ridiculous that there weren't enough people upstairs to help me check the fit, so she unlocked the trigger lock right then and there and let me check. It fit, I bought it, and that's all she wrote.

pipedreams and frank battaglia like this.
  12. pipedreams

pipedreams "Knowledge Speaks - Wisdom Listens,"

We deal with some of this nonsense here at a couple stores. The purchase process is easy after showing your CC, but once your ready to leave the store they have to walk the new purchase to the door and if you buy ammo they walk you to you vehicle. No big deal but sort of silly.

13. Dave Hill

Dave Hill

I haven't been to a good gun show since 1998.