close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gun show loop hole??

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Psychman, Dec 19, 2012.

1. sawgrass

sawgrass

I agree that this is what it's about. Stopping all private sales that currently don't require a NICS check and collecting the tax. In MN there are a lot of sales through local forums. Most self regulate and require a PTP or PTC before they will complete the transaction.

2. tehan2

tehan2 NRA & GOAL

**** THEM!!!

It's already illegal to sell a gun to a federally prohibited person. why do we need more laws???

If the seller is breaking a law, prosecute him/her. If the buyer is breaking a law, prosecute him/her. Look, I just closed the loophole

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012

3. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

If you think that at this very moment, that there is any battle we could win, in any way, shape or form, you're absolutely friggin' high. The court of popular opinion has already ruled following the shootings in CT, and the recent spate of similar incidents.

We are are not facing off against our normal opponents, the same list of characters that support anti-gun legislation. We are facing an entire country of people emotionally over-reacting to these shootings, that are DEMANDING anti-gun legislation. They are calling and writting and e-mailing their elected officials every damn day, demanding that they do something, or they will be removed from office.

And you think the smart thing to do is dig our heels in and not give one inch. And that very attitude and behavior could absolutely end up with the 2A being crushed.

I certainly hope the folks at the NRA are smarter than you.

4. Z71bill

Z71bill

Maybe we can get the anti gun group to agree -

If we give up "assault weapons" and "high capacity" mags and "semi autos" and agree to complete registration - and eliminate anything larger than a .22 short - and agree to having our guns locked up at a government facility when not being used at the GOVERNMENT controlled shooting range - and yearly mental health exams and $500 per firearm tax and $1.00 a round ammo tax -

to no additional restrictions for the next 90 days.

5. Cali-Glock

Cali-Glock Mountain Man

What I have seen (in other states) is people selling a bunch of their stuff, and a handful of their own guns. For example a guy (rancher) selling coyote pelts and a few stuffed animals, and a couple guns from his collection.

I see individual sellers walking around the show with more guns.

6. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Again, you think what is happening right now in the court of public opinion has anything to do with what has happened in the past.

When Columbine, VA Tech and the other shootings happened, the same every-day anti-gunners popped their heads up, railed against guns, and then got ignored. THe public wasn't as worked-up over what had happened.

That is NOT what is happeneing now, and you're missing this most important point.

You are not understanding the pressure that our elected officials are under to enact gun legislation. It's like NOTHING we have seen in the past. Killing 20 6 & 7 year olds has fundamentally changed things, dramatically raised the emotional reaction to new heights, and I fear we are going to get hammered.

7. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Tewwowist

You are allowing them to dictate the terms of the debate. You've already lost.

8. Roger1079

Roger1079

And how is a private seller to know if they are selling to a prohibited person? Crystal ball? Coin flip? Ask nicely?

This is why I have never sold a gun to anyone I didn't know personally.

9. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

You are being hysterical. Calm down, as you don't have a clue. There is zero information that says what you are saying, except the media which is hyping their bias. In a couple weeks this will be a thought for a very small minority and those directly affected.

If, at the end of the day there are compromises to be made, then so be it. But that isn't how you start. And this tragedy isn't any different than any other. The same noise was made after Aurora.

For some reason this time some in the gun culture seem to have a measure of guilt that I don't understand.

10. Reswob

Reswob

All the time. Welcome to Virginia. Not only is this perfectly legal, a private seller couldn't run a NICS check if they wanted to. Additionally there are several websites dedicated to private sales of firearms in states where this is legal and a common practice. Might as well start calling the "Internet Loophole", or the "Burger King parking lot Loophole." Call it whatever BS you want, but until private sales are struck down in those states, it's not a loophole, it's precisely following the letter and spirit of the law.

11. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

I'm gonna wrap this up for folks that don't seem to be getting this.

In the end, it is just math. Once a certain number of elected officials become willing to vote for anti-gun legislation, it will happen.

It has not happened in the last 10+ years, because the anti-gunners did not have the votes. Now, after this latest shooting in CT, they most definitely have the votes. So be forewarned, its gonna happen. It ain't gonna be stopped.

Ya'll can rail against everything I have posted here, but it's nothing but reality. And, to be logical about it, it's probably too late to do anything pro-active about it at this point.

Good luck to all of us.....we're gonna need it.

12. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

You have zero proof of that.

13. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Incorrect. My fears are based on the fact that two NRA "A" rated Republicans from Virginia have publically stated they will vote for anti-gun legislation. That and simply talking to people, hearing their ractions to the shooting.

That is why I'm thinking that this shooting in CT is going to be the tipping point. Because I'm willing to bet that there are other elected Legislators in other states that have said the same thing.

I hope you are right. I hope in 2 weeks nothing has come of this.

As far as making compromises, I'm glad to hear that you have finally come to understand that they may be necessary. As far as "being how you start", starting with placing closing the loop-hole on the table (as I have already described) would be the smartest thing. Place on the table that which makes no real difference, but gives the anti-gunners a political win.

14. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

You're right.

But I'm willing to bet I'm correct in that assumption.

Are you willing to bet against that assumption? Are you willing to state right now that there will be no anti-gun legislation?

15. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

Who are these A rated Republicans?

16. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

You're wrong. Most people are NOT advocating new gun laws & bans. Just the media and the usual crowd of antis. Sure a few turncoats are making a big show, but they were never really pro-gun anyway and are just using this as an excuse. How many people in your real-life daily interactions are calling for bans? I haven't seen ANY.

17. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

Of course there will be anti-gun legislation. There always is.

18. Roger1079

Roger1079

Something will happen, but I think it will be different than what has been in the media lately. If what I have read is true and Feinstein introduces the bill she has vaugely detailed at this point which would basically ban almost everything, it will never pass.

Gun manufacturers, the NRA, and other such companies and organizations have deep pockets, good attorneys, and well funded lobbyists. The bill's details that have just barely been outlined at this point would effectively kill the gun industry in the US.

Restrictions of some kind WILL definitely happen to pacify the angry mob, however it definitely won't be of the magnitude that some people think.

19. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

What do you base all this nonsense on - CNN reports? Come on, show us some real evidence to back up all these claims.

20. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Quite a few, folks on FB. Actual adults that are calling thier elected officials. Hell, some family members and family friends.

No, the last 10+ years have seen NO anti-gun legislation. Including every time someone has gone on a killing spree.

Hell, gun laws have been getting better and better over the last 10+ years, we all know that.