close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gun show loop hole??

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Psychman, Dec 19, 2012.

1. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

That dosen't work at all.

You should know your history before you make that sort of comparison to what I'm saying. Plus you should actually understand what I've been saying.

Nothing Chamberlin did was going to stop the Nazis. Conversely, appeasing the population base that is giving the anti-gunners their poltical power, thereby removing their power, can stop the anti-gunners.

2. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

I guess it's one of the advanced features of Lead Membership. Sorry to have insulted you. ;)

See this.

3. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Moderator

We DO get what you are proposing.
    • Do not worry about Bloomburg [sic], Feinstein, or the media.

• They are powerless without the people who normally do not pay attention to guns or gun laws, or gun issues.

• You propose offering those people who normally do not pay attention to guns or gun laws, or gun issues a law requiring all gun show sales between private individuals include an NICS background check.

• In exchange, all those who normally do not pay attention to guns or gun laws, or gun issues will back off on requiring any further restrictions on gun and gun accessory ownership and possession.

• You propose that Bloomburg [sic], Feinstein and the media will listen to all those who normally do not pay attention to guns or gun laws, or gun issues and will not pursue additional restrictions themselves because all those who normally do not pay attention to guns or gun laws, gun issues will have faded into the background again.

Now, is that a fair representation of what you are proposing?

4. ref441

ref441 CLM

There seems to be a general feeling here that some additonal gun control WILL be enacted.

Can The Great Pretender in the White House pass such legislation by Executive Order? Could an issue like gun control be added to some other Bill?

If not, will the comatose GOP House support gun control? In the past, I would have said "No", but they have caved on taxes and might well concede on gun control, especially if the Dems cut back on taxes. They (Dems) might indeed be willing to do that to appease the anti-gun crowd that has not gotten any satisfaction in the past 12 years.

On the other hand, some believe the Democratic Senate might not have the votes to pass new gun control measures.

I'm just asking these questions; I don't know the answers. But it seems pre-mature to concede today that new gun control WILL be passed. Appointing a "study commission" is usually a smoke screen to delay action and do nothing after the report is issued.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  5. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

If you do not believe that gun-control legislation is going to happen, then yes, nothing I'm saying is correct. And you shouldn't bother trying to argue with me, because nothing I'm saying is going to make any sense.

I have already said this before, many, many times.

6. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

No, it's quite appropriate - Chamberlain thought what he was doing would stop the Nazis, just like you think your appeasement offer will stop the antis. Via hindsight we see Nevil's folly, and yours.

7. tehan2

tehan2 NRA & GOAL

Well, I may not be too bright, but it took me about 30 seconds to find your post on the 1st page that says this...

now I'm assuming that when you typed "saw" you really meant "say"... but clear as day you say close the "gun show loophole" so that we can "shut them up a bit"

if that isn't exactly what I said you said please tell me where I used your words wrong so that I can "get it, buddy"

8. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

So living in "the area" and hours and hours of work around those people means nada after all. Why did you even bring that up?

9. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Oh, we're not trying to argue with you - we're just having fun showing how wrong you are. ;)

10. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

Yes it is ridiculous to surrender. In fact it would be down right stupid to do so. That will not keep the Chamberlains and Philbys on GT from preaching appeasement and surrender.

11. Veedubklown

Veedubklown

Yes, and I've bought them this way. I've also bought guns at garage sales. The only way to close this "loophole" is to require all sales go through an FFL dealer, like california. Where they can impose a waiting period, on a transaction, between you and another private individual. I'd prefer to keep .gov out of my private dealings. If I want to sell a radial saw or baseball bat to another person, so what. It's mine. Only requirement is that the seller confirms the buyer is a state resident. It's not the seller's responsibility to know the history of the buyer. A prohibited possessor trying to buy a gun, carries something like a 10 year sentence.

12. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

And the only way to enforce that is to register every gun. I'm sure you've thought of that but the fact is often lost in the discussion, so I like to repeat it whenever we consider banning private sales.

13. RussP

So you work "in the area" and have "worked for hours and hours with the same type of people that will be determining the future of gun legislation in this country," "the folks in the .Gov all the time," and you rely on where you live and the people you work with as a basis for your beliefs, yet you do not know their political views because you do not discuss politics with them.

Huh?

14. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

"You propose that Bloomburg [sic], Feinstein and the media will listen to all those who normally do not pay attention to guns or gun laws, or gun issues, and will not pursue additional restrictions themselves because all those who normally do not pay attention to guns or gun laws, gun issues will have faded into the background again."

You're getting close.

There are (as a guesstimate) millions of people that normally do not care about guns, and gun legislation, that are going absolutely nucking futz over what happened at Sandy Hook.

These people are (temporarily) giving Bloomburg, Feinstein, et al their (temporary) ability to get anti-gun legislation passed. These people will slowly lose their interest over time, and therefore the power to enact anti-gun legislation will fade over time.

But the next few months are going to be crucial. If our elected officials start debating gun-control legislation in January, when the topic is still hot, and the general US population is still crazy over the shooting, they will be able to pass sweeping anti-gun legislation that will crush us.

And can you imagine what would happen if the anti-gunners roll the "Parents of the Disappeared" from the Sandy Hook shooting into the debates, and have them emotionally appeal for more gun-control live on National T.V.?

Holy ****, we could lose more than were are even thinking about right now!!

But the word "temporary" is the main point. If we head the entire situation off at the pass, if we (through the NRA) come to the table with closing the GSLO, we gun owners (and the NRA) look reasonable in the eyes of the media and the general US population, and we defuse the situation.

Plus, we would have an actual hand in crafting the legislation, and be able to exert some control over it. Instead of just refusing to compromise at all, and being shut-out from the legislative process.

This is the idea. We step-up proactively, give just a little, and stop them from crushing our gun-rights whole sale.

Russ, we have never seen anything like Sandy Hook before. You either understand that, understand the passion there, or everything I'm saying is not going to make sense.

15. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Nooooo...:rofl::rofl:

I'm not basing my beliefs about looming gun legislation based on my interactions with clients. Like I said, I do not talk politics with clients.

16. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

M&P, would you favor a national gun registry if "Antis, Inc." would promis to back off on further gun control?

17. RussP

Then why did you bring the fact you live in NoVA into the discussion?
    What does that mean? What is your point?

18. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

I live in the PRK and it sucks for the reasons you allude to. It takes a speshul person to believe that having a govt finger in your keester makes life better.

19. RussP

Show one post where anyone here states there will be no restrictive legislation on firearms.

Show just one.

20. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member