gun shop issue

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by travDMH, Feb 26, 2010.

1. travDMH

travDMH

So this local shop has my G23, they are waiting for a new guide rod to come in that they ordered (mine is broken). The guy said it would be here by wed (being a new gun owner, a friend who is an instructor is giving me a free lesson on safety and marksmanship on sat). Wed came and went no dice, same goes for thurs. Another store in town has the guide rod I need currently in stock. If the rod isn't in tomorrow, do I take my gun to the other place, I mean idk what to do because this guy is going out of his way for me on saturday, but the guy at the shop already ordered the piece for me...just trying to get some logical advice. Thanks

2. liljojo4711

liljojo4711

i would give it until tomorrow and if its not there tell the shop they missed out and go get it from another shop. they said wed. and its not there friday, their loss IMO.

3. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

I'd call Glock tomorrow morning and tell them you have a class on Wednesday, if they can get it in the mail tomorrow, it could reach you in time.

How is it broken? Like this?
    [​IMG]

If so, just put it back in the gun and use it till the new one arrives.

4. irishstout

irishstout

Personally, I'd take the gun and have the guide rod that is in stock put in. When the other finally gets in I'd pay for it and have a spare in my parts kit. Heaven forbid you have this problem again but if you do you already have a rod to drop in.

5. ronin.45

ronin.45

Did you make it clear that you needed it by Saturday?
    Has he given any reason for the delay?
    Has he given you a new ETA on the part?

If you made it clear that it was time sensitive, and he doesn't think it will make it in time, he can't be too upset if you go elsewhere. Hopefully he has a good reason for the delay, and some idea when it will be in.

If you just placed an order and didn't let him know you were in a hurry, you are at fault. Sometimes the ordering process is a slow one and if he had no reason to expedite he would not be in any hurry.

Either way you should buy the one from the other shop so you don't miss the class. The only factor is whether you should feel like an a-hole or not. That depends on the above two scenarios.

6. frogger42

frogger42 Don't Panic!!

You beat me to it. This is what I was going to suggest.

7. 9mmXRAY

9mmXRAY IDPA MW2 GSSF

Um... I dunno... I guess if I really needed it I would tell the shop that ordered it that and find out how it was shipped and if there is a tracking number. If they can't provide this... I'll ask to borrow a used one if they have one or I might just buy another from some place else... then keep it or sell it.

Reason being... I'm still waiting for a barrel I ordered a month ago through a local shop... It was an instock Item for Lone wolf, so after 2 weeks I called and started hounding him... Well after 3 weeks he finally called Lone Wolf to get a tracking number... Well low and behold somewhere along the way LW got the wrong CC number and never shipped anything... They didn't even call and tell him and he's a pretty well funded shop.

So he felt like an idiot to have to tell me this over the phone a few days ago but I told him "Its not a big deal but next time please take what I already paid you for a little more serious because I buy alot of stuff and I have never bought a firearm from him yet"

I was there when he was on the phone with the LWD rep buying my barrel... They said it was in stock and would be there in less than 7 days... this was 30 days ago and I called him once a week to remind him to at least get a tracking number...

He's a busy guy I know but he should have treated my $150 purchase the same as a $700 purchase... why? Because now I might never order any firearms from him that aren't in store stock.

8. travDMH

travDMH

Butch, the top piece that screws out is broken so nothing is holding the spring in place

Ronin, he told me it will be there by wed. I didn't tell him about the class sat because I didn't feel like I needed too.

The thing is I like the guys at the shop were my G23 is. I can't just go in an say "You guys didn't do your job, give me my gun, im taking to to your competition" These guys are cool and they help me out here and there. But, the instructor is going completely out of his way. I guess I gotta hope the piece is in friday and if not, be very tactful in how I handle the situation

9. insanity.

insanity. CLM

If you dont want to piss the shop off pick it up tomorrow if it hasn't come in and tell them you have a lesson and your instructor has an extra rod he will loan you. When the new one comes in just buy it as a spare.

10. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

So you're talking about an aftermarket guide rod that broke? (I thought that couldn't happen :))

And you did not keep the factory assembly as a backup?

You can't use the rod as a 'non-captured' guide rod?

11. DrtyHarry

DrtyHarry

Don't know how many handguns you have, but if it's only one...do whatever you have to do to get it fixed and working ASAP, especially if it's an EDC. IMHO.

DH

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
  12. travDMH

travDMH

I bought the G23 used. I was told that the aftermarket guide rod would be considered an upgrade. I wish I had the stock one...

13. bentbiker

bentbiker

Doesn't either one of the dealers have a standard recoil spring assembly for less than $10 that you could use for the class (or forever) and then pay for the ordered part when it arrives?

14. voyager4520

voyager4520

Most aftermarket parts are not upgrades, they are solutions in search of a problem. Get yourself a guide rod made by Glock.

15. Adjuster

Adjuster

The only time a Glock ever fails is when its no longer a Glock.

16. tantone56

tantone56 Love my G23!!!

+1
    You are so right about that. When I got my Glock I wanted to make it look cooler with the aftermarket spring and a few other things. Glocks just work best straight out of the box. It may forever be an ugly gun, but at least it is reliable.

17. KDawg0007

KDawg0007

This is true. You could ask the shop to swap a guide rod out of one of their new or used g23's into yours and when the new one arrives just put it in the gun they swapped it from. You paid or will pay for the part so I don't see why that option would be to difficult.

18. jp3975

jp3975

Shouldve bought the lw barrel from lw.

19. oldsoldier

oldsoldier

Go get the recoil assembly from the other shop. Nothing wrong with having a spare as you just found out you might need one some day. I have a spare recoil assembly for every pistol I shoot. I consider them a routine maintenance item.

20. GlockBuyer

GlockBuyer

I don't understand why anyone would leave their firearm with a Dealer or even a Gunsmith when the issue is a simple drop-in part that is available over-the-counter and online for a few bucks. The only reason to send your firearm to someone is for extensive repair, customization or replacement.

And if this "gunshop" is truly friendly and you're a regular, then why don't they just grab a Glock sitting in the display case (nearly any model will do) cannabalize a guide rod and send you on your way - and they can wait a day or two for replacement?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010