close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gun safety & education for kids

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by kristiansen, May 30, 2003.

1. kristiansen

kristiansen Birdwatcher

Hello Guys,
    I have 3 boys,ages 7,6 & 2 and of all them are still in the stage of being playful with their toy gun etc. & I'm wondering what would be the better approach to educate them in gun safety(the elder boys I mean).they know I'm joining comps. but they have'nt seen my piece & of course I'd like them to be able to have that interest someday.do you think its appropriate to introduce them to guns now? whats' your technique? thanks.

2. vega

vega

I'd start with their toy guns. I'm sure they're pointing it to anyone unless you have already taught them about rule #2. Then while you're at it, teach them about putting the trigger finger in the trigger. I introduced my kids (boy/girl) when they were 12 and 11 yrs old. Some say that they taught theirs on earlier age. Well I started old. At their age they would be curious with the real one.

I would suggest that you show them the devastating effect cause by the bullet and let them shoot your gun to their heart's desire. You won't even reach 100 rounds and they'll give up. That's what I did with my kids, I removed the curiousity. Get a good expanding ammo and shoot thru a tel directory and show it to them. Thet'll have an idea on what it would do to a person.

My thoughts......

vega

3. kristiansen

kristiansen Birdwatcher

yes precisely.I want to satisfy their curiosity with a real gun & explain that its purpose is for defense from the BG's but at the same time,I also don't want them to miss playing with their toy guns at this age level & get too "serious" .so do you think it is appropriate to introduce them to real gun & let them continue with their usual plays with the toy guns? thanks man.

4. vega

vega

Nobody is ever too young or too old to learn things.

vega

5. jmy

jmy Still Alive Lifetime Member

I fully agree with vega.It really depends on how mature their brains are.You can have an 18 year old guy with a 10 year old brain and a 10 year old guy with an 18 year old brain.

jmy

PS.When I was 8 years old,I had my first air-gun but I had a brain of a 3 year old and I ended up shooting my uncle on his back.My late father had to take away the gun from me and I was banned from owning a gun for many years.

6. kristiansen

kristiansen Birdwatcher

appreciate your input guys.many thanks.keep em coming!

7. vino

vino

I'm starting to think about this myself as I'd also want my kids to be responsible gun owners. I read in another thread the idea of making your kids choose to give up their toy guns should they want to handle the real ones.

I think it makes sense since a child who is ready enough to give up his treasured toy gun would most likely be mature enough to handle the responsibilities that comes with the real thing. From a safety point of view, it also makes sense because it would instill in his mind that guns are not play things. Just my thoughts though. 'Would appreciate hearing more experienced based advice.

8. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

Your approach will depend on the level of maturity of your kids. I have two kids, aged five and six. In my assessment, the five year old isn't ready for basic firearm manipulation training, so for her, the rule is: when you see a gun, STOP, do not touch it, leave the room, and tell an adult about it. [needless to say, they will never see a gun lying around anywhere in the house since my guns are all either locked up or on my person at all times]

For my older boy, I started with teaching him the four basic rules of gun safety a few months ago. He now practices sight alignment and trigger discipline with my airsoft pistol. He's very enthusiastic about the whole thing; he even asks me when our next lesson will be when I put off our practice sessions for too long.

I have taken away the mystery involving firearms when they were much younger... I field strip and clean my weapons in their presence to show them that guns aren't mythical, forbidden things, but rather just tools that must be treated with the care and respect that is due them.

We never allowed them to have toy guns for the simple fact that we believe that guns are not toys. They have toy water pistols, but even with these, they practice rule number 2 at all times.

9. darwin25

darwin25 Make your move

Many are older than that but doesn't seem to have any brain at all.

When I was 8 yrs old, I could pick any lock that I want to pick. And there was this one time that I found my dad's .22 magnum snub in his filing cabinet. My dad found about it and changed his hiding place. Then I found his AMT automag .22 in his "locked" cabinet. Then he gave up locking the guns from me and taught me instead in firearms safety. He would check the guns everyday to see if anything around it has been moved and I would get to fire the guns every month if I have been a "good boy". HEHEHE;Q

10. mikey177

mikey177 Remember

I can relate to that.

I fell in love with Glocks because I used to liberate my dad's 1st gen Glock17 from his combination safe whenever he wasn't home. I was a gradeschool kid then and everything I knew about guns I learned from television.

Looking back, I'm just thankful that I never blew my head off. So don't wait until your kids are teenagers... trust me, your kids know where you keep the keys to your safe/lock box, they know your supersecret combination, and they know all the good hiding places. To quote the famous line, "Don't childproof your guns, gunproof your children."

11. darwin25

darwin25 Make your move

Tama ka dun. The best lockpickers in the world are kids ;+ ;+ ;+

12. 218

218 Glock 'n Roll

Agreed with Vega, with my brother, sister and my girls daughter.I did the same thing. And they have an understanding of everything involved (at least the most understanding young kids may have) Best of luck to you!

13. Guest

sunday pics @ Armscor range with my daughter 4 yrs. old using S&W M38 Bodyguard Model .38 spl. :)

14. Guest

it's breaktime folks! tama na muna pictorial dad! kainan muna:cool:

15. Guest

kainan muna po tayo;a

16. kristiansen

kristiansen Birdwatcher

4 years old shooting a 38? wow !!!;)

17. klmmicro

klmmicro

Nice! My girls to only handle our .22's right now. My 8 year old was seriously eyeing the .243 at the range last night, but she chose to hold off. She loves to shoot rifles so I told her it was up to her when she feels is ready.

She is 8 now and started shooting just this year. My oldest daughter is 12 and she started shooting with me when she was 6. Their education in firearms started long before because they have always been in our household and I felt it important that they know the rules.

It truly is never too early to teach them the basics of safety and shooting itself is something that will develop on its own over time. I think the most important part is giving them a good foundation before they ever pick up the weapon.

18. batangueno

batangueno Shock Resist

Galing ha. :)

Kulang na lang eye protection, very important.

I can't wait to bring my son to the range when he's old enough. :)

19. Guest

thanks for the reminder re:eye protection. nakalimutan ng tatay niyang super excited...:)

20. paltic

paltic

heres my 3 yr. old son Paulo ...getting acquainted with a .22 pistol :cool: @ ARMSCOR range yesterday[​IMG][/IMG]