close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dismiss Notice

You are browsing the classified section of GlockTalk.com, by doing so you agree to follow the terms of service.

http://www.glocktalk.com/pages/classifieds-tos/

Gun Safes

Discussion in 'Smart Shopper' started by Ron Aigner, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Ron Aigner

Ron Aigner

Where can you find the best deals, on a good fire retardent safe that would hold 12- 20 guns and weigh about 500#. Sometimes I see what looks to be a good deal, but by the time freight gets added in, it's about the same as Academy one of our local sporting goods retailers. Are all the good ones $800.00 plus or can one be had for less??? Thanks to all who respond!!!

2. jchen

jchen

My .02 worth...you get what you pay for! I looked around for cheaper safes and found shipping to be outrageously high. I ended up with a Liberty safe that is..BIG..fireproof and supposively a B***H to pry open. It also bolts to the floor, weighs about 700 lbs and has a "warranty"..but cost me $1,600 or so as a gun shop owner in my area sells them just above cost as he is a proponent of keeping guns locked up. I can leave town without worrying about someone stealing be blind...or having to explain to the Feds how my Class 3s were missing. If you live near a Sams Discount store ..you may find a Winchester...Good Luck..

3. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

You are not going to find a 12-20 gun, fire resistant safe for $800. If you do, buy about 10 of them and sell them for $1200.
    A safe like you speak of is going to run you from $1400-$1800 depending on the manufacturer.
    My Browning holds 15 long guns and was about $1000, 10 years ago. It's not even fire resistant. They have gone up I am sure.

4. Beezer

Beezer

Ron,

You may want to visit your local Sam's Club. They have a fire resistant safe that will hold 22 long guns and costs about $900.
    Its brand name is "Winchester" & it's made by a company in Ft. Worth. HTH

Beezer

5. gaston's pal

gaston's pal

LOOK AT the rifle locker: click here
    Goes in between the 16" STUDS of your wall, so doesn't occupy living space.

Each one holds 4 rifles, shotguns, PLUS pistols, etc.
    CALL Smitty 516-220-8388. He has a better one, that weighs 150 lbs, holds 5-6 long guns.
    AT $250 a piece, you can get the 20 gun storage, have it shipped direct for LESS than the $1200 range, but remember with them installed IN THE WALL, you can hide them from view, and takes NO LIVING space up!

I have two in my house. Both are touch pad electronic, 2 key backup, CROSS BOLT DESIGN!

6. LaVaDog

LaVaDog Surefirefanatic

I just bought a safe the other day very simular to your desires. I bought an American Eagle (Cannon) safe 14-28 long guns, fire rated, 500 lbs. for $699 from A.G. English who advertises in almost every gun mag. If you want anymore info. PM me ;f

7. njl

njl

Can anyone suggest a "safe" that's reasonably secure against primarily children, but also thieves, big enough for just a couple rifles (1 to perhaps as many as 4), and doesn't require knocking out part of a wall?

I was looking at getting a bed vault from truckvault.com, but they're plywood and appear to be held together with screws that I assume could easily be removed...those two things don't inspire much confidence.

I only have one rifle at the moment, and would like something more secure than the Bushmaster plastic case with padlocks.

Something small enough to fit in a closet would be prefered.

8. hermosabeach

hermosabeach Coffee Drinker

I purchased a sportsman steel safe in Long Beach,CA a big fire safe....

It is not UL rated, the door is not insulated and the body is filled with some sort of ceramic.... I would recomend doing some homework on safes and why the good ones cost so much... you get what you pay for in many cases.... ;b

9. BE Mike

BE Mike Millennium Member

Dick's Sporting Goods carrys a fire rated Remington safe for 15 guns as I recall...maybe 21 guns. It sells for $799.99, but regularly is on sale for $699.98.

10. Tvov

Tvov

If you are not looking for fire resistant, have you looked at Homak or Stack-On "gun cabinets"? They are in just about every catalogue, my latest Cabela's Fall catalogue has them for $80.00 to $450.00.

They are not as secure as a real safe, but they certainly will do the job to keep curious eyes and hands from your guns.

11. Schmedy

Schmedy

I know a guy who can give you a deal on Browning safes for a good price. You can email him at npdion@atttbi.com his name is Norman P Dion. He has real good prices. Example for a 16 gun fireproof Browning safe $715.00. Tell him I sent you if you want. Hope this helps.

His address is
    1021 Broadview Dr.
    Firecrest, WA 98466
    (253)565-2753

12. peeto

peeto

I bought a "Sportsmans Steel Safe" as well...SAVE YOUR MONEY and buy a good safe...while it is supposedly fireproof to 1200 degrees it arrived dented and rusted on the bottom...they wouldn't take it back and the long and short of it is...I have a free safe due to the assistance of my credit card company...READ THE BBB reports on ANY company which you intend to do business. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR IS ABSOLUTLY TRUE...........good luck.

13. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

I almost bought one as well. Was told they make them and store them outside until ordered. Then they paint them right OVER the rust. Didn't think this was true but saw one that was supposed to be less then a year old and had fair "ok a lot" of surface rust and it was INSIDE the home.
    I went Fort Knox but many places now sell them. Sams, Menards, John Deere, Fleet Farm,etc I went the last day of a larger gun show and made the dealer a offer as he started to pack up.
    I bought it loaded in the back of my pickup for a darn good price. He was happy not to have to load it and take it back. :)

14. criley

criley

When I was in the market for a gun safe and talking to folks the advice I received was good and I am glad I followed it. Buy the BIGGEST SAFE that you can.

I bought a Champion safe, their "low end" Challenger series, for about $1900 delivered and installed. It doesn't have the high gloss enamel, quite as much fire protection, or quite as much burglar protection, but it is quite a safe! The dealer chose the same style for himself.

The dimensions are 41 X 73 X 28 (inches) and the thing weighs 1240 lbs. Depending on the interior configuration, the safe is supposed to hold up to 52 rifles, but they would all have to be 10/22s. My configuration is supposed to hold 36, but when you have ARs and AKs and other guns with pistol grips you can't fit as many in.

On the interior of the door there is a panel that goes with velcro holsters to allow all your handguns to be stored on the door to save shelf space. This was a dealer option but was included in the price.

Regardless of what size you want, you ought to check out the Champion line, Challenger series.

15. njl

njl

Why does anyone worry about fire ratings on safes? Do most people (or at least people with fire rated safes) not carry full insurance on their collections? I suppose if you have much of a collection, it's a better deal to buy a fire safe than pay for full coverage.

I just updated my home owners insurance and added enough coverage specifically for my firearms that I'd be covered (minus deductible) if something happened to all of them.

I went to a mini gun show this weekend and looked at Liberty safes and talked to a guy who I think was a local/regional sales rep for Liberty. The one I was most interested in was the Colonial 23...it's much bigger than I need, but it seemed to be the smallest of what I'd call "real safes". It's fire rated to 30min, it's >500lbs., it looks like unless you're a safe cracker or know the combo, you're not getting into it. It costs about $1000 delivered.

16. dogcaller

dogcaller

In case anyone is still considering it... DO NOT BUY A SAFE FROM SPORTSMAN'S STEEL SAFE CO. What a bunch of low-rent jerks! Long story short, they screwed over both my friend and I, during/after we each bought on of their largest safes. I take great delight in the idea that I may dissuade someone from giving them any more $!

17. jchen

jchen

NJL..In my area of the woods, if you have a house fire AND the FD finds you have guns and ammo stored in a non fireproof container.......they may just stand by until the explosions stop.
    If 5,000 rds of ammo goes up, I don't want anyone around that.

I got an insurance break on coverage as I keep more than guns in safe. Some of my firearms are damn near impossible to replace [class III stuff] I found the added cost to be minor in comparision with the the potential loss.

I bought a Liberty...a "big" Liberty safe and bolted it to my floor. I also had to add floor supports under the house as the weight loaded is about 1,200 lbs.

One final note, if you buy one of these things...have it delivered and set up, unless you got lots of friends to help... ;e

18. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Who cares if 5000 rds of ammo inside a safe or even a ammo can goes up? The bullets won't go anywhere. The only danger is to your ears from the noise. I suppose if in cardboard/plastic boxes and you are stanging in wrong place the brass could put your eye out.
    Now that 3 lb can of smokless powder is another story. Don't have it contained in a closed area or it could cause some damage. I have seen 1/3 lb pored on a cement slab set on fire. It just burns fast but no explosion.
    I recall reading a magazine where they took bunker gear and put it less then two feet from a fire that had shotgun shells/rifle/pistol/22 shells put into it. NOTHING damaged the gear.

19. hermosabeach

hermosabeach Coffee Drinker

I have a friend who had to get a second safe since the kids photo albums started to fill up his fire safe.... Some people own firearms and other items that are not readily replacable if a fire should turn a normal safe into an oven....

If you are not the proud owner of your great great grandfathers model XXX, they maybe you live in Kalifornia and can not legally replace an item if lost, Stolen or burned beyond safe use.... yup glock mags can melt like shrinky dinks

Thats my $0.02 on a good quality fire safe... especially if it is in a garage where a lot of home fires occur....

;a ;I

20. dandy

dandy

I recently bought the Winchester safe from Sam's and am very happy with it. Cost $900 and moving it was not a lot of laughs (625#) but in my area that was the best deal by far. Take your time and look around you can probably get a deal on a used one, but if you do not have the time I bet the Sam's deal will be hard to beat.