Gun Safe

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by MississipVol, Apr 30, 2012.

1. MississipVol

MississipVol

Hey everyone,

I am thinking of getting a small gun safe for my handgun just for a little ease of mind about keeping it loaded with my kids around.

I am interested in a biometric safe so that I could get very quick access. I found the one below new for about $200. I understand it is not fire proof but can;t spend that kind of money right now.

Anyone have any better suggestions?

Barska Biometric Gunsafe

Inner dimensions: 16.25" x 14.25" x 7"

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  2. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

Have you checked out the gun vaults?

3. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

4. MississipVol

MississipVol

Yeah, I've seen that one. Just didn't know if it was any better. The one I am looking at has a few more views available where I can see how it would mount, etc.

Here is the link of the one I am looking at:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Barska-AX11224-Biometric-Safe/dp/B002AQ0PFW/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1335762293&sr=1-2"]Amazon.com: Barska Biometric Safe: Home [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@41ZiRqGMyjL[/ame]

5. Kaonashi

Kaonashi

LockSaf's safes have a pretty good reputation. I don't have the link handy but there's a video up on Youtube of the DefCon conference and the only safe to pass their tests was the Locksaf.

http://www.locksaf.com/biometric-pistol-safes/

6. Wizz

Wizz

7. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

8. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

Where are you planning on mounting the safe?

9. MississipVol

MississipVol

On a closet shelf - mounted to the studs in the wall.

At the price point I am looking at, I know it would not be completely theft-proof, but hopefully would be 100% childproof and at least a theft deterrent.

10. MississipVol

MississipVol

The biometric safes DO scare me. I've thought about going with an electronic key-pad instead, which appear pretty reliable based on reviews I have read.

The stack-on safes someone posted above looks like a good (and less expensive) option if I choose to go with a key-pad.

11. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

How old are your kids? If there real little personally I wouldn't use a safe unless it's stricly for a theft deterrent. You said you were going to mount in the top shelf of a closet.

12. MississipVol

MississipVol

They are 8 & 10. I'm as much more worried about their friends when they are over than them because they are pretty responsible. (when I'm not home of course)

Currently, I keep it on the middle shelf with no mag and a loaded mag on the top shelf with my PD ammo. If I had a safe, I would be able to keep the mag in the gun with another in the chamber.

The safe I would be looking to mount on the middle (not top) shelf.

13. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

I'm 24 and don't have any kids. Im just trying to understand your situation and offer help. The best I can come up with is spend the coin on tue safe I guess and hope it works out for you. Do you have long guns stashed around the house?

14. MississipVol

MississipVol

I have a 30 year-old Rem 1100 20 ga. shotgun I keep in the closet that could totally be stolen (not locked up or anything). I keep the ammo on the top shelf. Kids could get into it I guess too but never have showed any interest throughout all their years.

Fortunately, we live in a neighborhood with very little crime (knock on wood) so I could probably live without a safe but I guess I am thinking for a little more peace of mind it would be nice to have one.

By the way, thanks for your help and other's help as well!

15. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

I'll just tell you this and I understand ymmv. I grew up around guns ever since I was a twinkle in everybody's eye. I was raised to respect them and never touch them unless my Gpa or uncle was around.

I'm not doubting you that your raising your kids right. I'm may be a younger guy but I'm not stupid. If I had kids and guns around I'd be leery of said kids friends coming around. Thats just my opinion.

I hope you figure out something that works for you bud!

A.J.

16. ScottieG59

ScottieG59

I looked at many options and i decided against electronic systems. Currently, I used a small safe with a key, which I have on me in bed. I may go with a mechanical push button like a simplex design. I have found unacceptable results with complicated small safes.

Also, kids are great at finding keys or hidden guns and ammo. They will stack boxes or furniture to get to hidden things. Higher is better, but not good enough.

I know of a couple cases where kids killed themselves. In one case, a revolver was high up in a closet and ammo was not near the gun. The 3 year old found both, loaded the revolver and pushed the heavy trigger with his thumbs. The gun went off and killed the boy. The dad was sure things were well hidden and to difficult to get to. Kids are creative.

My teenager once tore our bedroom apart to find the key to one of the gun safes. He was trying to retrieve his iPod I took away due to his grades. He found no key that fit since they are with me. I have no hidden keys or combinations at home. I reminded him about the guns and ammo in the safes and the danger it would create if it were opened around our even smaller kids.

Basically, kids sometimes only understand what they think you want to hear. Often, they just do not get it.

Thieves will also find your hidden guns. This makes for a bad welcome home surprise.

17. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

A three year old found a revolver, then separate ammo, loaded it up and caused harm..... :wow:

18. FAS1

FAS1

Have you considered a mechanical push-button lock? They are fast, very reliable and easy to open by feel in the dark. A stronger box like this one (7ga) gives you a little more security when bolted down.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcJUGuB35y8"]FAS1 SAFE - YouTube[/ame]

19. swimmerglock

swimmerglock

I would be very wary of a biometric safe. I thought they were a great idea, but the biometric Gunvault microvault did not open on the first attempt. In fact it would often take 5 to 6 tries to get it open. I programmed it for my index finger with about 6 different angles, etc. It didn't make any difference, it still didn't open on the first attempt. I had it in the nightstand drawer attached to the bottom of the drawer. I have a Gunvault safe mounted in our camper that uses electronic touch pads. I love that one, so I bought a Gunvault microvault 500 to replace the biometric one. It works great. I have a key on my keyring and one in my dresser drawer. We do not have any kids at home any more. Check out the you tube reviews about the biometric safes.
    Fred

20. bam1131

bam1131