gun safe

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by chrisw, Jan 30, 2010.

1. chrisw

chrisw

I have decided that my next investment should be a gun safe, however I could not be any less knowledgeable about safes. I would love to buy something used, but craigslist is not yielding anything positive for me so I may need to get something new. I know that I do want one that I will not need to upgrade later so a large safe capable of many rifles and handguns as well as ammo and accessories. I would like to not totally go broke, so price is important to me but it seems like I don't have much say in the matter as they are expensive. What do you all have and recommend? Any hints, tips, or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. smullen

smullen

Anything good is pretty expensive..

You need to define some things...

How wide is your narrowest doorway or path this thing will have to travel to get into place???

How many Rifles to you need it to hold?

How many Pistols?

How much do you wanna spend? Whats your top dollar amount?

I've been lookin at them for a few months now and its hard to find somethng I want that I can afford...

3. sonick808

sonick808

sounds like you might want to actually locate an actual safe store. A lot of conjecture out there, and it's a tricky topic since not many people really know much about the inner workings and nuances.

Safe salespeople are trained in the stuff; there are some scary demos of some of the "favorite" brands out there being violated in less than 3 minutes with 3 guys with crowbars.

So, yeah. Seek out a pro, and then seek another for a second opinion; if you're REALLY really serious that is.

4. chrisw

chrisw

Doorway? I don't have a tape measurer but normal doors in a small house.

Gun count? well I plan on expanding the collection, so for rifles/shotguns I would say 10 at least and handguns, more like 20. As far as the rest of it? I have 5-15 mags per gun, holsters, ammo, etc. I would like to fit these things in the safe as well. Right now I have 7 handguns and 4 long guns, but I have been adding at the rate of one every 3 months or so, so I want to be ready for additional purchases.

How much do I want to spend? none of course! The least amount possible. I don't have a set amount. I need a safe so I will spend what I need to spend. I don't think that I need to worry about professionals with safe drilling equipment but something well made would be nice. If I could get one for under 500 that would be great. Like I said before, used is ok with me and I would probably jump on something if it was the right price.

Let me know what you find or have found by all means. I look forward to your input.

There is a store local to me, but I would imagine that they will be over 1k for something descent. Probably a good idea though to learn about what is out there.

Thanks for the input thus far.

5. smullen

smullen

Chrisw

Well I've got 3 different size doors in my house from the back most door, to the basement door, the one at the top of the basement steps is the smallest...

It'd suck to buy something and it not fit... Or if you have it deliverted and they can't get it where you want it...

So thats why I ask.

Steps are a consideration too... Will you or whoever be able to treverse them with the safe, will the steps hold the movers and the safe too???

You sound kinda like me in that you want all your good in the safe/protected... All those mags and ammo take up space quick...

Have you thought about a nice lockable cabinet or really cheap gun safe for the mags and accessories then a really nice one for all the rifles and pistols???

I'm not sure if fireproofing is a concern, but for 500 your not going to get much....

I've looked around alot and all the brands are about the same as far as capacity per comparable models...

Everything I see that I'm even remotly interested in is like mid 800s to 1200.00 or more.... Not including tax or delivery...

Here is a link or two for a few sites that have some decent looking safes...

http://www.zykansafe.com/diamondgunsafes.html (i'm kinda looking at the ZES-24)

http://www.libertysafe.com/productsmain.php

6. chrisw

chrisw

That is a great idea. I hadn't thought about that at all. That would work for me. I will check out the links. Thanks!

as far as steps there are none in this house. I live in FL and most houses including mine are one floor.