close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

gun safe question

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by 02limitedwj, Mar 8, 2010.

1. 02limitedwj

02limitedwj

i just recently purchased a gun safe and want to know the best way to dehumidify it....would you guys recommend a electric dehumidifier of some of the silica gel packs...and give me some recommendations on the two options

2. 02limitedwj

02limitedwj

3. texas_rifle

texas_rifle

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  4. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

I have had a safe for more than 25 years and in that time all I have had to protect against humidity is a desi-log (large desi pak covered in canvas) and several normal desi packs in the corners. This method works for me as I have never had one single rust issue with any firearm. Once a year (usually on my b-day), I will replace the desi packs and clean and lube all the firearms and return them to the safe.

5. DreamWeaver88

DreamWeaver88 ...............

I have 1 of these Remington Silica Gel dehumidifiers in each of my 2 gun safes. No problems with humidity, and when they become saturated, you just plug them into an electrical outlet to dry them out.

[​IMG]

6. Jon_R

Jon_R

I use this in the bottom of the safe. When the gel turns to water I put a new one in it.

Attached Files:

7. ZekerMan

ZekerMan ZekerMan

I also had a Golden Rod in my lst safe for 15 yrs and it did the job fine in a refridgerator size safe, it was still working fine when I sold the safe so it went along with it. This time I bought a smaller safe and bought a rechargeable Remington model on ebay but its only a couple weeks old so can't really report pos. or neg. on it but the ad says it will last 10 yrs. so we will see.

8. 02limitedwj

02limitedwj

thanks for all the replies...i might go with the golden rod...i was just concerned about rust so i will give it a try and see how it works out...thanks guys

9. GlockFish

GlockFish Floyd

10. XDRoX

XDRoX

I also use these. I use two in my large safe and one in my smaller safe. I have to recharge them about once every two weeks but I live in a coastal city. Mine are Stack-On brand but they are the same ones.