close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gun Range Etiquette

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by MississipVol, Apr 16, 2012.

1. MississipVol

MississipVol

Like I've said in previous posts, I am just a newbie and shot my G19 for the 1st time today. The place I bought my gun and ammo told me to make sure and save my brass because they give a discount on new ammo if I bring it back in.

Is it bad etiquette to pick up your own brass at a gun range? Just wondering. I went ahead and did it but felt a little strange doing so. There wasn't anyone that works there around at the time so I thought I'd ask before possibly getting embarrassed the next time.

What do you guys (and ladies) think?

2. Stover918

Stover918

You paid for the bullets. Do what you want. This is the USA!

My pistols, however, I always kept by me

3. whoflungdo

whoflungdo

It appears by your name you live in Mississippi. Do you mind telling me what range? Most of the ranges will collect and sell the brass. It would depend on the range rules. Some of them require you to leave your brass. Most of the ones I've been too won't care either way. They just want you to clean up the brass from the shooting lanes.

4. MississipVol

MississipVol

I drove up to Range USA in Memphis, TN. After picking it all, I thought about it and checked the range rules again but nothing about it was listed.

Is this commonplace for people to pick up their brass where you shoot?

5. whoflungdo

whoflungdo

I've seen both ways. So yes it is common. Pick it up and don't think twice about it.

6. pureshot78

pureshot78

The only place that does this that continues to get my business is Front Sight in NV and only because they would not be able to finish the course material if people picked brass.

Sent from my Nexus One

7. MississipVol

MississipVol

Thanks! I just didn't want to do it on my next trip unknowingly with all the experienced shooters around me thinking, "What in the hell is HE doing??!!" :wow:

8. ChicagoZman

ChicagoZman

Pick it up and save it. You may desire to begin reloading at some point or you could sell it or give it to someone else that does.

9. whoflungdo

whoflungdo

I agree. The OP was asking about etiquette. In my opinion, it is bad etiquette to pick up your brass after reading and agreeing to the rules if they require you to leave your brass.

Otherwise you are good to go.

10. whoflungdo

whoflungdo

Just be careful and be sure you do not interrupt someone else from shooting or step out on a hot range to pick up brass in front of you and you will be fine. The only problem I've run into is if I got someone else's brass accidentally.

11. .50 cal

.50 cal

I use a giant squeegee to pull in brass in front of the firing line and then pick it up by the handful with some gloves

12. Radian

Radian

It depends on the rules of each range. Some could care less, others don't want you picking it up.

13. MikeG36

MikeG36

I shot at a place that had a no pickup rule. I talked to the RO about it and he said no big deal, just let them know ahead of time that you will be picking up your brass. They want to make good and sure that you only take what you came with as they sell it to reloading companies.

14. WarEagle 1

WarEagle 1 Taco Tuesday

I see nothing wrong with it, I've never done it at a range but people have come up and asked me if I was keeping my brass because they wanted it. As long as no one gets in the way I see no problem.

15. kamonjj

kamonjj

I pick up my brass and ask my neighbors for theres as well. You can usually tell when someone doesn't reload. So I normally ask and 9/10 times they say yes and normally don't have a clue why you even want it.

16. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

I reload. I belong to an indoor range and ALWAYS pick up my own brass. The range does resale brass that is left, but they have no problem with you picking up your own.

Another range in town does say something about "if you want to pick up your brass, notify the counter person". I think so they can sweep up everything that is around you FIRST, so all you can get is your own.

It's my brass... I'm taking it with me. I wouldn't shoot at one that wouldn't let me take my own brass away.

Believe me... if they had a problem with it, there would be a big sign saying leave it. Barring that, I would just pick it up. Brass has value, even if you don't reload.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  17. DannyII

DannyII

I may be getting into reloading soon, and I wish I had been saving my brass up until now!:crying:

18. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

Hell yes. They are your brass you keep them.

But really the only brass I am fanatical about finding before anyone steps on them is my 300BLK brass.

:wavey:

19. Ferdinandd

Ferdinandd

Pick it up and save it. I ask permission to keep others' brass if i see them tossing it.

20. Black&TAN

Black&TAN Senior Member

Agreed. I haven't been to any public range that required to leave behind, but likely wouldn't return unless I noticed an appropriately adjusted hourly rate (I go through a lot of brass)

sent via Tapatalk