Gun ownership on the rise

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by SJ 40, Oct 29, 2015.

1. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

Gun ownership on the rise

In 2009, the first year of Barack Obama's presidency, the number of civilian firearms in the U.S. hit 310 million, according to the Congressional Research Service, exceeding the U.S. population for the first time. Gun sales have not slowed since.
    In 2013, the last year of official data from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, there were about 357 million civilian firearms in the U.S. Responding to consumer demand, gun manufacturers have doubled their annual production, from 5.6 million in 2009 to nearly 11 million in 2013.
    Gun manufacturer stocks have given investors 300 percent gains in the past five years, according to Reuters. That's four times better than the S&P 500 over the same period.

Gary Kleck, a criminologist at Florida State University, called it “the Obama effect” in an Oct. 4 interview with the Washington Post: “High-profile shootings and talk of changing gun laws motivates gun owners to get more guns, and perhaps some non-owners to get one ‘while the getting is good,'” he said.
    Whatever the reason, there are a lot more guns in circulation, and a lot more people who are first-time gun owners. That shift has been accompanied by a surging interest in firearms training, according to the operators of training programs and firing ranges in the Granite State.
    The options range from one-man operators offering one-on-one instruction akin to personal training, to the full-scale classroom and field operations of the Sig Sauer Academy in Epping, and everything in between.
    Instructors at Sig Sauer, one of the largest firearms training centers in the country, have branched out to launch their own businesses. New firing ranges are opening up and classes are booked weeks in advance in many cases. Well-established sportsmen's clubs, like Pioneer Sportsmen in Concord, are seeing a surge in interest.

http://www.unionleader.com/apps/pbc...151029397&Ref=AR&source=RSS&template=printart

Good news indeed. SJ 40

2. MooMooBoo

MooMooBoo

Might just be people aame people buying more guns. Otherwise that stat means that 12 other people bought guns because of me.

3. mj9mm

mj9mm

So many Americans can't be wrong :2gun:

janice6 likes this.
  4. BamaBud

BamaBud NRA Life Member

I had a guy call me last night about helping him pick out a revolver. His wife is a top-of-her-lungs screaming leftist, but I helped him get a shotgun for home defense several years ago.

I was shocked that he said he now needs a revolver for his house, too.

We'll see what I can find for him in a few days.

Patchman and SJ 40 like this.
  5. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Not good enough. I won't rest until there's enough gun to own every American man, woman, child.

janice6 and SJ 40 like this.
  6. TheDreadnought

TheDreadnought

It's true some people who already own guns are buying more. But I think its also true that more and more people are buying their first gun in response to the increasing instability of the country and world.

I think part of the reason for the increase in ammo prices is that there are simply more people buying it now than before. Hopefully the ammo manufacturers catch on (as this trend is unlikely to reverse itself) and start ramping up production with investments in permanent capacity.

7. Kalmah

Kalmah Supreme Member

There was a recent story in the Washington Post that said the average number of guns in gun-owning households has increased, but the number of gun-owning households has been decreasing for years. In other words, there are more guns in the hands of fewer people.

Most of the guns being bought right now are bought by people who already own guns, not by first-time gun buyers.

8. CigarandScotch

CigarandScotch Fartacus

I've noticed an interesting phenomenon. I have taken several anti-gun folks to the range and taught them to shoot, which resulted in what I would call a " half conversion"...they aren't afraid of them like they were before, and now own a firearm. But they still want gun control. Like it's ok to clamp down since " they got theirs" already. I'm still discussing the topic with them whenever possible, but I'm not making much headway.

SJ 40 likes this.
  9. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Staff Member Moderator

At least part of that is leftist/gun-controller/govt "spin", based on the fact that fewer Americans are voluntarily telling a stranger in a telephone poll that they own valuable items that are subject to theft and future government restrictions or bans. This "fewer gun owners" narrative helps the lefty gun controllers sleep better at night, thinking that gun ownership isn't as widespread as the NRA claims, and isn't getting MORE widespread every day.

But the spread of shall-issue concealed carry laws, recreational/competition shooting, and similar gun-related activities and sports gives lie to that narrative. The only gun-related activity that is down is hunting, I believe.

Here are the numbers of guns domestically manufactured and sold in the USA for each of the last 10 years that we have data (does not include imports):

2013 -- 10,844,792
    2012 -- 8,578,610
    2011 -- 6,541,886
    2010 -- 5,459,240
    2009 -- 5,555,818
    2008 -- 4,298,197
    2007 -- 3,922,613
    2006 -- 3,650,324
    2005 -- 3,241,494
    2004 -- 3,099,025

Total number of guns made/sold in the years 2005-2007 was 10,814,431 (and 2013 beat that 3-year total all by itself). These aren't all going to previous gun owners, not by "a long shot."
    That's okay; it only takes a fraction of that "new guns sold" number every year to add up to a million or more new gun owners (or new gun owning households) every decade. The wider the base, the harder it is to reduce it.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
    fastbolt and SJ 40 like this.
  10. plp

plp

I disagree, or at least as far as my personal experience relates. I just sat here and counted up the number of folks I have met over the past few years at the range, that were first time buyers and shooters, and without much effort counted 26. If I really thought about it, maybe a dozen more.

Maybe there were an equal number of folks that showed up at the police station, turned in their weapons and said we are out, that negated the numbers on the plus side of the column. I seriously, seriously doubt it.

At least in my neck of the woods, 'ammo up' is the order of the day.

janice6 likes this.
  11. BobbyS

BobbyS Truth always sounds like lies to a sinner

That's what they want everyone to think. They want to make it look like there are less and less gun owners.

janice6 likes this.
  12. CigarandScotch

CigarandScotch Fartacus

And that the guns owners are nuts that should be disarmed. Everything is bent to fit the narrative/agenda.

janice6 likes this.
  13. Radius_Retention_Systems

Radius_Retention_Systems RADIUS RETENTION SYSTEMS

This is awesome, kinda says it all;

When hes on, hes spot on.

SJ 40 and kiser64 like this.
  14. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

I would suspect that not only have gun sells increased but that the type of guns sold included more AR, AK, Mini 14/30 and surplus military type rifles. As far as hand guns go I think many people have come to realize that one or two per family might not be enough if the situation gets serious and have increased the number owned. I have no ideal what percent of gun owners have significantly increased their ammo inventory, many have but no ideal how many. Before Obama I never gave a thought to how much ammo I had if I had a couple of boxes of something I was good, but no more. Thanks to the idiot in the White House I am in a MUCH better situation with guns and ammo than when he took office!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  15. 540mope

540mope

It's a given...when Obama speaks, gun/ammo sales surge. A lot of people got a small taste of his deep hatred for gun owners when he muttered his infamous "...they cling to guns or religion" nonsense.
    Hillary is no different. She truly hates anyone who dares to legally own and use firearms.

(preaching to the choir)

SJ 40 and janice6 like this.
  16. LEO/Dad

LEO/Dad Navy Veteran

I think more women are now gun owners, particular carring.

janice6 likes this.
  17. mrmedina

mrmedina NRA Member

18. Railsplitter

Railsplitter

A lot of lead has been stacked in closets because of this guy and I think this is the trend that will continue at least for the next few years.

19. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

It's a real buyers market right now. In the AR platform. Buy em and just put them away.

Ammo is pretty decent too

20. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I did recently see a poll that seemed to cook the statistics a little to claim "the number of guns owned, per gunowner has suddenly doubled" - naturally, it's reported in the anti-gun media, like the Washington Post, to feed the story that "just because we sell millions of guns a year, that doesn't mean there are more gun owners," which is popular with groups trying to convince politicians they can be anti-gun without losing votes.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...er-now-owns-8-guns-double-what-it-used-to-be/