close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

gun oil. using motor oil?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by glock19master, Jan 7, 2013.

1. RichJ

RichJ

2. spcwes

spcwes

This is good information. I read all information provide in the tests shown here and even though it might be "good enough" it is for sure not the best. Now that being said the tests are extreme and would also indicate that the items being tested would be allowed to stay in those contitions.

A Glock or Sig would have enough of a coating on them that if you used Mobile 1 on them it would probably be more than enough to protect the weapons from rusting. Rust protection is great but also the fact that it seems the Mobile 1 would last longer on moving parts that is still not a bad thing to consider. I have cooked break free off a gun before by extensive shooting but I also cleaned the weapon and re-oiled it.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013

3. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Gun lube

2 parts Mobil 1, 5W30
    1 part Synthetic part ATF
    1/2 part Kroil
    1/2 part Marvel Mystery Oil
    1/4 part STP

4. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

I use Mobile-1 for all my lubrication needs.

Also, get some of these:

[ame="http://compare.ebay.com/like/110949866347?_lwgsi=y&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar"]http://compare.ebay.com/like/110949866347?_lwgsi=y&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar[/ame]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  5. glock19master

glock19master

like a previous person has posted reg cheap dino oil is slightly acidic and with a polymer frame i dont want to take chances. and synthetic is better in not breaking down

6. Andy123

Andy123

7. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

"... and remove all doubt." :supergrin:

8. bmoore

bmoore

This is supposed to be really good stuff. Still wanna whip some up and try it.

9. skorper

skorper harborrat

All motor oils are great oils, and to a certain extent, all commercial oils are just about as good as any other. The problem is, a quart of motor oil does not contain a full quart of oil. All brands have additive packages which are mostly cleaning detergents, designed to scrub the innards of your engine and keep dirt from clinging to the hot metal.

As well, all of the multi-viscosity oils also have even more additives, which are there to react with the heat and expand or thicken the oil under operating conditions. A multi-viscosity oil rated at 5w-20w (a 15 weight spread) has less of these particular additives than a multi-viscosity oil with a higher range, such as 20w-50w (a 30 weight spread). When you use these oils on your gun they will work but are not quite equal to most specialty gun oils. Most gun specific oils have only one additive, and that is something designed to make the oil cling to the area upon which it is placed. Also be aware that if you are using motor oil on your gun, you are only applying the thickness (weight) of oil that is the lower number. Oil burning off the barrel not withstanding, because of the lack of heat the additive package will not kick in to change the viscosity.

To further complicate things, oils that are marketed as do-it-all products (cleaners lubes and protectants) have an even larger additive package and are therefor inherently not the best lubricants, because they are not 100% oil.

As far as rust protection, any oil that STAYS on the gun metal where it is applied and acts as an air/moisture barrier will work fine for protecting guns. I use gun oil for lubrication and protection. Cleaners have their own place.

10. lvl1trauma

lvl1trauma

Methinks some people are combining lubrication with rest prevention or at least feel like a lubricant should be preventing rust.

11. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

12. bmoore

bmoore

Mobil 1 is for lube. I could rub CLP together with my fingers and make it burn off.

13. RichJ

RichJ

Sure, but that's not what was asked. I asked how well it stored your gun long term.

I don't want to worry about cleaning/lubing my gun and putting it up, then coming back to a rusty gun. I want an oil that will both lubricate and protect and there are many gun specific products that will do just that.

If you want to use motor oil on your gun you are certainly welcome to do so.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  14. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun

One idea for for semi long term storage is lots of oil and wrap with kitchen shrink wrap or similar. I'm not one for the heavy gunk like the military. Depending on how long, remove any wood if it's easy. I did that on an old pistol. Grips in one plastic bag and the frame in another plastic arm with lots of oil.

RC

15. GasTurbine

GasTurbine Porschey Power!

I would not use ATF as it has no lubricating properties. It is a hydraulic fluid, not an oil.

16. bmoore

bmoore

It has detergents/cleaning properties. Thats why when mixed with Mobil 1 it works very well inside AR15 BCG's.

17. GasTurbine

Absolutely untrue. Every piston engine has some sort of crank case ventilation system where fresh outside air (and its humidity) are introduced.

18. GasTurbine

You didnt say you were mixing it. ATF has no lubricity and thats what I want on my BC, not something that cleans...Ill "clean" my AR when Im done shooting it.

19. bmoore

bmoore

50/50 Mobil AND ATF usually means mixing it bud. 50/50 means half and half. Not sure how to be more clear about mixing it. I posted that on the first page of this thread, probably the part you did not bother to read.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  20. GasTurbine

Easy hoss. I stand corrected on that...you did indeed say that, however, I still dont recommend using ATF. After I am done shooting, I will CLEAN my rifle, then LUBRICATE it with OIL, not hydraulic fluid.

But thats me...to each their own. Over the years Ive seen guys who "lube" with everything from furniture wax to silicone spray, so if it makes you feel good to use hydraulic fluid on your AR, more power to ya.

Regards.