Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
"Don't Tread On Me!"
6,425 Posts
On "Sons of Guns" they were able to get the suppressed shotgun down to 144db but that still sounds like it'd be kind of loud to me since it lists a Space Rocket taking off at 140db and an amplified Rock Band at 120db.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
I noticed that, also a suppressor www commercial shows higher sound level than that and other charts. Differences in measurement methods and equipment, no doubt.

I know that even a suppressed .308 is nothing you want to be near with naked ears.
It is kind of interesting to hear the whistle as the "can" bleeds off pressure after the shot, though.

·
USAF Vet
10,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On "Sons of Guns" they were able to get the suppressed shotgun down to 144db but that still sounds like it'd be kind of loud to me since it lists a Space Rocket taking off at 140db and an amplified Rock Band at 120db.
I saw the show but can't remember if he got it down that low consistently or that was just the lowest achieved.

·
Registered
31,725 Posts
Those numbers don't make sense to me. A .380 or 9mm pistol is louder than a .223 rifle? No freaking way.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Test doesn't show at what frequencies these sound levels were tested at & which ones peaked. Low frequencies sounds will vibrate & rattle us but not be damaging to out ears.
Also take into account the guns used. All guns will give different results with different ammo & barrel lengths as well as harmonics from constructed materials.

Still It's common sense...USE EAR PROTECTION.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts