close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gun Magazine recommendation

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Gaprofitt, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Gaprofitt

Gaprofitt

Hi All,

I just purchased a new handgun, looking for a good publication to read up on the latest and greatest, reviews, etc. What do you guys think about guns and ammo magazine?

Thanks,

Greg

2. buckhunter3987

buckhunter3987

Join the NRA, and you have a choice between American Rifleman, American Hunter, and Americas' 1st Freedom. Rifleman has all your reveiws and general gun articles, Hunter is primarily about hunting, and 1st Freedom is primarily news concerning gun rights issues, although the other two usually contain a peice from the NRA's Institute for Legislative Action (NRA-ILA). You also have the option to change at any point during your membership which magazine you get. I currently am getting Rifleman, but as the elections start gearing up I might switch to 1st Freedom, and maybe goto Hunter when Deer season rolls back around, or not I kinda like Rifleman.

A year's membership is only $35 and you are taking a stand with the rest of us to protect everyone's right to purchase, carry, and enjoy firearms.

:wavey:

3. Arquebus12

Arquebus12 Non-broccophobe CLM

Guns and Ammo is a fine magazine. My favorite part was Cooper's Corner, but I just don't pick it up anymore.

American Handgunner is the best periodical out there, even though it comes off as a 1911 devotee-type of magazine. Best writers, with the best range of associated topics, to include something that just doesn't get enough attention, gunleather.

My opinion only, congratulations and best of luck on your new acquisition.

4. Smashy

Smashy

Lots of people will tell you not to waste your money because their reviews are all biased, since the gun makers advertise with them. I read them anyway because they have other interesting articles about all sorts of topics: shooting skills, hunting, history, ballistics, etc. Even the reviews are worth something just to keep up on new products being made. I just ignore their glowing "what-a-great-gun" conlcusions and come to forums like this one for that sort of information from people with practical experience and no advertising factors to color their judgement. Other than that, I think the various gun rags still have a lot to offer.

I read them all, but usually only end up buying a few issues a month, depending on the contents. My usual practice is to browse the various titles at the magazine rack and only buy an issue if it contains an article of interest to me.

For handguns specifically, two good ones are American Handgunner and Combat Handguns.