Gun limit in baggage

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by DAKA, Feb 11, 2017.

1. DAKA

DAKA

Here is the latest REALLY SMART IDEA.
    INTERNATIONAL TRAVELERS flying into south Florida airports must now claim guns from a BAGGAGE INSPECTION AREA while going through customs...
    THIS DOES NOT AFFECT DOMESTIC TRAVELERS,
    This change is necessary in light of recent events at the Ft Lauderdale airport says an agency spokeswoman.....
    What kind of MORONS are in charge here?
    I have to wonder how many INTERNATIONAL TRAVELERS bring their weapons.

2. ysr_racer

ysr_racer

Do you have a link? Is like to repost it on a shotgun forum I frequent.

3. 4Rules

4Rules

It actually makes some sense to me because, when you're going through customs, CBP usually sends you to secondary and then, usually, the agent wants to see your firearms. Most of the time, for me, it's been in U.S. CBP preclearance (outside of the United States); generally you have to wait in secondary while your bags are intercepted - which takes extra time - and then the agent inspects your firearms right in front of you.

The new system might even be more efficient. Why? There are still a lot of international airports that don't have (U.S. CBP) preclearance, so most of these passengers have to go through customs in Florida, and most of them (with firearms) would then have to wait in secondary while their bags were inspected. On the other hand, for those travellers - like me - who have gone through (U.S. CBP) preclearance in a foreign country of departure, they've already been admitted to the USA, so they're considered to be a 'domestic' arrival.

So, that said, I don't expect to experience much of a difference from the way it's been done in the past...meaning bags on the carousel, or on the 'oversize' belt, or in the airline baggage office.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  4. DAKA

DAKA

How many "foreign" visitors have firearms with them?

5. 4Rules

4Rules

What would you like them to do? Prohibit firearms and ammunition?

6. DAKA

DAKA

4Rules
    You missed my point...."how many foreign visitors......."

7. 4Rules

4Rules

I get your point. The actual impact of the change doesn't matter nearly as much as the public perception of the impact of the change. In the current political atmosphere of "What can we do to improve things?", seasoned staff made a recommendation for a change that would actually improve things. Political types don't care about facts, just image, and they got the "change" they wanted. The average person reads the article and feels safer, knowing that the political types have "improved things."

8. Geko45

Geko45 Smartass Pilot CLM

Americans coming back from overseas hunting trips comes to mind.

9. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Competitive shooting events too. Not sure how many foreigners there are in that but surely it has to happen.

10. DAKA

DAKA

4Rules, right on....this is not going to mean squat....
    My son travels for business, he takes his Bodyguard whenever he is "allowed", the places he goes to for I.T. are sometimes in "dodgy" areas....
    I am assuming that most of the people (99.999%) who do take their weapons are serious people who have no "evil" intent...so, as you said idiot politicians who don't have a clue making useless "rules/laws"
    As an aside, I no longer watch the TV news...most of those "hair heads" also do not have a clue and just love the sound of their voices...:director: (need emo for a smack in the head with a 2x4)