close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gun laws from a scientific perspective

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by jetdefiant, Feb 17, 2010.

1. jetdefiant

jetdefiant

So I was in the shower the other day, where all the best ideas take place, (Doc brown got the idea of the flux capacitor while hanging a clock above his toilet, Archimedes was in the tub when he discovered a means to verify wether a gold crown was real) but all joking aside, here is my thought provoking idea.

In science, we have models, mathematical models of systems. And the whole point of a model of a system is to have it predict, with reasonable accuracy, real world events. Like in high school physics, when our formula dictates the a ball must land in exactly a certain spot every time when thrown with a constant force and angle, but in the lab it never does, this is because the model is not absolute. There are countless other variables that our model does not include. Ultimately a model is only as good as its ability to describe the system that it is modeling. If the model is not reasonably accurate or is just way off, it is of no use.

Now to the core of my rant. The anti-gun agenda is basing their "model" that if we happen to rid the world of guns, there will be less uneccessary death. Everything is relative. If guns did not exist, then swords would be the new "gun". And so on and so forth. But back to the model. Their model does not take into account, human nature(random) and practicality. Practicality is vital in models. Things that work in theory may not work in practice and this is the main disconnect. They are so engrained in their theoretical perfection they don't think about how their model will work in practice. And given that this model is not practical and does not describe real world events, I conclude that for me, it is of no use.

Golden example for NJ:
    Theory: The NJ carry permit model allows permits to those with justifiable need.
    Practice: Ordinary citizens can not carry

Too much thinking for the shower? Maybe...

2. tous

tous GET A ROPE!

Disciplines other than just science use modeling as a simulation of real events and conditions to predict results.

There is no science and there has not been since the 13th century. Since then, political expediency outweighs the desire to know the truth. The vast majority of the human population is astoundingly ignorant and will sooner believe and support the glib speaker than the purveyor of truth.

The only evolution over the last 700 years is that the liars no longer condemn those that seek the truth to death for heresy or being anti-revolutionary. Today, they just accuse them of being stupid.

3. ddbtoth

ddbtoth

"A World Lit Only By fire" sound reading.

4. tous

tous GET A ROPE!

Thanks, amigo.

It already has a place on my shelves.