GPNY w Knife.jpg

·
finishes it...
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #47

·
Registered
27,811 Posts
My 35+ year old Stetson, and early production 5 1/2" Redhawk .44 (modified to RB & bead blasted) and my 8" Randall All-Purpose Fighting Knife (more than 60yrs old, like me ;) ), sitting on top of a folded rifle case. (Yes, the rear of the Redhawk cylinder was polished, to minimize the appearance of the stop-track between the notches, because the guy doing the bead blasting thought it would make for a nice touch, and I didn't really care, since it was merely cosmetic.)

·
The wind serenades a purified man.
4,121 Posts
My 35+ year old Stetson, and early production 5 1/2" Redhawk .44 (modified to RB & bead blasted) and my 8" Randall All-Purpose Fighting Knife (more than 60yrs old, like me ;) ), sitting on top of a folded rifle case. (Yes, the rear of the Redhawk cylinder was polished, to minimize the appearance of the stop-track between the notches, because the guy doing the bead blasting thought it would make for a nice touch, and I didn't really care, since it was merely cosmetic.)

A man can buy style all day long, but class simply isn't for sale. falstbolt, the setup in your post, from the hat to the revolver, is pure class.

·
In The Saddle
7,458 Posts

Amigo, this set up (all of it) is just plain "sweet..."
Also, Got to love the stetsons... ;)

CM
:horse:

A few Stetsons...
Work and Sunday go to mettin...

IMG_20140413_134747_818.jpg

·
Registered
27,811 Posts
A man can buy style all day long, but class simply isn't for sale. falstbolt, the setup in your post, from the hat to the revolver, is pure class.
Appreciate it. ;)

If you click on the images to see the larger pics, though, you can see signs where that hat's felt (wool, not a fur felt) has been chewed on a bit in a few spots. Bugs will find a way if you let it sit for a while. Figured it matched some of the scars & marks I've acquired over the decades, though. :cowboy:

When I had it steamed and the brim blocked (by hand) about 3 years ago, I took it to a local hat shop, carrying it in an old Stetson oval box. When I stepped inside the shop i had 3 people starring at me. Turned out they were staring at the "antique" Stetson box, having seen me approach their store through their front plate window. Damned if they weren't more interested in the antique hat box than the well-worn hat. (Not that I blame them, as it's not a fancy Stetson, but a budget Mallory Stetson.)

The woman who did the work on the hat said she wanted to lightly clean it, and even offered to "repair" the small damaged spots in the felt on the crown. I told her she could clean it a bit, but I didn't mind the little chewed spots, as I looked on them as being like some scars I've acquired over my life, and signs that both of us had been down and around the corner.

The Randall was cleaned and restored by Gary Randall, sometime back in the 90's, and the old sheath replaced with a new one (made by a retired FL trooper who did leather for them, according to Gary). I'd thought about having the old stag handle replaced when I sent it in for refurbishing, but Gary talked me out of it on the phone. He said that aside from filling in a couple holes in the butt (nerve holes in the horn) and refinishing it, that stag was just as strong as any linen micarta ... and it hasn't been available for many years. He said that knife had been made by his father, and that handle would withstand I ought to reasonably throw at it as well as micarta, and it ought to easily last the rest of my life, and then some. I had my name acid etched on one side (which hurts collector value, but doesn't bother me in the slightest). I figured my name on it would be something my son might like when he inherits it someday.

·
Registered
27,811 Posts
Amigo, this set up (all of it) is just plain "sweet..."
Also, Got to love the stetsons... ;)

CM

A few Stetsons...
Work and Sunday go to mettin...

View attachment 854942
My father had a collection of Stetsons. (Being interested in them since he was from OK, and having worked on a cattle ranch in TX as a young man, and then again in CO when I was a toddler for a bit. I have some brief memories of living in a the "ranch hand's" wood cabin during that time. My late mother told me that during that time the only toys I had were some simple hand-carved wood toys that had been left in chest in the ranch cabin by a previous hand.)

Unfortunately, he had a hat size quite a bit larger than me, so I let my younger brother have them.

I had a passable black one more than 30 years ago, but I seemed to have let it slip through my hands over the years. Dammit.

In more recent years I've been collecting Fedoras ... and I have a right proper fur felt Stetson Chatham Fedora among them.

·
In The Saddle
7,458 Posts
Appreciate it. ;)

If you click on the images to see the larger pics, though, you can see signs where that hat's felt (wool, not a fur felt) has been chewed on a bit in a few spots. Bugs will find a way if you let it sit for a while. Figured it matched some of the scars & marks I've acquired over the decades, though. :cowboy:

When I had it steamed and the brim blocked (by hand) about 3 years ago, I took it to a local hat shop, carrying it in an old Stetson oval box. When I stepped inside the shop i had 3 people starring at me. Turned out they were staring at the "antique" Stetson box, having seen me approach their store through their front plate window. Damned if they weren't more interested in the antique hat box than the well-worn hat. (Not that I blame them, as it's not a fancy Stetson, but a budget Mallory Stetson.)

The woman who did the work on the hat said she wanted to lightly clean it, and even offered to "repair" the small damaged spots in the felt on the crown. I told her she could clean it a bit, but I didn't mind the little chewed spots, as I looked on them as being like some scars I've acquired over my life, and signs that both of us had been down and around the corner.

The Randall was cleaned and restored by Gary Randall, sometime back in the 90's, and the old sheath replaced with a new one (made by a retired FL trooper who did leather for them, according to Gary). I'd thought about having the old stag handle replaced when I sent it in for refurbishing, but Gary talked me out of it on the phone. He said that aside from filling in a couple holes in the butt (nerve holes in the horn) and refinishing it, that stag was just as strong as any linen micarta ... and it hasn't been available for many years. He said that knife had been made by his father, and that handle would withstand I ought to throw at it as well as micarta, and it ought to easily last the rest of my life, and then some. I had my name acid etched on one side (which hurts collector value, but doesn't bother me in the slightest). I figured my name on it would be something my son might like when he inherits it someday.

Excellent write up.
Man. ALL my Stetsons, and Resistols (sp) are worn. Some very worn, and I do wear them a very great deal. Hat is always on my head, except for bed and shower! ha.

Sort of an unwritten cowboy code. The hat is always the last thing off at night, and first thing on in the morning. ;)

Take care of that classic!

CM

·
In The Saddle
7,458 Posts
My father had a collection of Stetsons. (Being interested in them since he was from OK, and having worked on a cattle ranch in TX as a young man, and then again in CO when I was a toddler for a bit. I have some brief memories of living in a the "ranch hand's" wood cabin during that time. My late mother told me that during that time the only toys I had were some simple hand-carved wood toys that had been left in chest in the ranch cabin by a previous hand.)

Unfortunately, he had a hat size quite a bit larger than me, so I let my younger brother have them.

I had a passable black one more than 30 years ago, but I seemed to have let it slip through my hands over the years. Dammit.

In more recent years I've been collecting Fedoras ... and I have a right proper fur felt Stetson Chatham Fedora among them.

Well, I think you may already know, We're from a ranch in Oklahoma near panhandle by Kansas, NM border, and (long needless story here) we're on the place in Texas now, and have made more changes as well. (another long boring story). Just natural to slap on a hat in the morning.

I'm glad you got to grow up in such a way, and it is a very good way, and I'm sure you have a ton of great memories. Hired hand quarters (in most places) have gained 'some ground' and especially if your married and have a family. Still real simple. Fire place/stove, propane tank, and usually 25 acres or so, and keep the freezer filled with beef. Back when I was on wages, I made 300.00 a month and the hands cabin, and that was working for family! ha. Good life. Just break horses several times a week, and work cattle, and fix fence, and take down big cats that want a roast beef sammich! ha. Lots, lots more as you probably know, but a good life.

Haven't been on wages for a loooong time now. ha. Sure better this way!

I wish your head worked in those hats man! ha. A good one will usually last (even in and under hard work and abuse) almost a life time or close to it. But the fun is going to town or somewhere, or stock show etc, and buying a new every few years or so, just to do it! ha.

Hope ya still got some of those hand carved toys. I did that for my youngins as well.

You've had a blessed life sounds like amigo. Not many folks get to live a ranch/cowboy life, even for a short while. Hang on to all those memories! I know ya will.

I enjoyed your back story. Very cool. ;)

Be safe, and wear that stetson!

CanyonMan

·
Registered
27,811 Posts
Well, I think you may already know, We're from a ranch in Oklahoma near panhandle by Kansas, NM border, and (long needless story here) we're on the place in Texas now, and have made more changes as well. (another long boring story). Just natural to slap on a hat in the morning.

I'm glad you got to grow up in such a way, and it is a very good way, and I'm sure you have a ton of great memories. Hired hand quarters (in most places) have gained 'some ground' and especially if your married and have a family. Still real simple. Fire place/stove, propane tank, and usually 25 acres or so, and keep the freezer filled with beef. Back when I was on wages, I made 300.00 a month and the hands cabin, and that was working for family! ha. Good life. Just break horses several times a week, and work cattle, and fix fence, and take down big cats that want a roast beef sammich! ha. Lots, lots more as you probably know, but a good life.

Haven't been on wages for a loooong time now. ha. Sure better this way!

I wish your head worked in those hats man! ha. A good one will usually last (even in and under hard work and abuse) almost a life time or close to it. But the fun is going to town or somewhere, or stock show etc, and buying a new every few years or so, just to do it! ha.

Hope ya still got some of those hand carved toys. I did that for my youngins as well.

You've had a blessed life sounds like amigo. Not many folks get to live a ranch/cowboy life, even for a short while. Hang on to all those memories! I know ya will.

I enjoyed your back story. Very cool. ;)

Be safe, and wear that stetson!

CanyonMan
Sent you a PM, or whatever the hell it's called nowadays.

Reactions: CanyonMan
41 - 60 of 102 Posts