close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gun from the civil war??

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by alexanderg23, Apr 8, 2010.

1. alexanderg23

alexanderg23

So we have this gun hanging on the wall, and according to my mom it was her great grandfather fathers of some thing like that. He fought with it in the civil war and after it was over he carried it home. I've looked at it, its in good shape, but looks like it used percussion caps? I guess they had those then?? If I wanted to know more about it how would I go about doing that?

Not think I would EVER sell it, I am curious what it could be worth.

2. btr

btr

How bout a pic and description of markings? I don't think anyone can tell you anything without these.

3. DPris

DPris

It could be any one of about ten different rifles or carbines used on either side, and percussion caps go back to the 1830s.
    You'll need to come up with photos if you want information here.
    Value depends partly on what it is, and condition is a major determinant.

You could also Google Civil War Rifles & see if anything that comes up looks like your rifle.

Denis

4. PeteCamp

PeteCamp

Without a really good description and/or some good pics, it is almost impossible to tell. Do yourself a favor and research the gun yourself - don't just take it to somebody and ask about the value. You used to be able to do that, but there are too many shysters today.

I was helping out behind the counter at my local gunstore when a guy brought an old, old Colt Single Action Army in to trade. He said the guy at the pawnshop offered him $150 for it and thought he might be able to do better. I went over it with a fine tooth comb. The Blue Book indicated it was worth over $5,000 in it's current condition. A Civil War era gun could be worth much more.

5. UniversalBrow06

UniversalBrow06

Yeah. Pics would be very nice. Could be a really neat family relic.

6. alexanderg23

alexanderg23

ok pics on their way

7. SouthernBoyVA

SouthernBoyVA

About six or eight years ago, I was at the shooting range where I am a member, on the rifle/handgun range. During a called clear, I do what I generally do - walk along the rear of the shooting lanes (this is a covered outdoor range) and see what other shooters have brought along with them. This one fellow had a Navy Arms 1851 revolver in, I believe, .36 caliber. I complimented him on his fine piece and said that it really was a nice replica. He reply that it was not a replica.. it was an original and he had paid $5000 for it. And here was was shooting it! WOW. A fine piece of American history.

8. vafish

vafish

I had a neighbor who was a gunsmith, he used to call me over when people brought in really screwed up stuff.

One day he gave me a call because he knew I liked Black Powder guns.

Some moron had brought in a 1861 Springfield he had found in his grand parents barn. He wanted to shoot a black powder rifle, but he thought the barrel was too long so he took a hack saw and cut it off about 22" long and wanted my neighbor to crown the barrel and put the front sight in place.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  9. jaybirdjtt

jaybirdjtt

10. jaybirdjtt

jaybirdjtt

Yup! My grandfather gave my dad a Sharps carbine. Still remember playing around with it, cocking the hammer, dropping the lever, etc. A friend of my dad's said, "Hey! I can reblue that gun and get it looking just like new!" He did a great rebluing job, too......for free! It just dropped the value, what, a few thou?!! There is a gorgeous original 1874 Sharps on the site from my previous reply.....$32,500. Not a military carbine, however. Heck! There is one for $65k!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  11. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

my favorite that i had a hand in,

guy brought in an old smith for a "rebuild" ..

then at the end he could no longer finish paying it off,

so we then sold it to cover the difference and he got whatever was over the top of the build,

the smith was one of the very early ones, and blue book on it was very high,

dont remember what it was exactly, but we ruined it by chopping the barrel, reblueing it, i think it might have got a target sight, ..

12. slewfoot

slewfoot Random Mayhem

When I was kid my friend Jimmy was always getting into trouble. His dad got tired wearing out his hands punishing him. He came up the idea to make the kid dig holes in the back yard after school. When the old man came home from work and decided the hole was big enough, he would tell Jimmy to fill it in.

In one of these holes Jimmy dug up what was left of a Sharps carbine. The wood furniture was gone but the barrel and receiver were in good enough shape to read the markings.

Strangely enough, Jimmy dug up an 1800s French fencing foil in the same back yard.

After all of beatings and other punishment, he straightened himself out, got a paper route and was run over by a truck while delivering papers one summer morning.

13. rhino673

rhino673

Gaaaahhh!! That makes baby Jesus cry!

14. skanless

skanless IPA ISLAND

Waiting. :yawn:

15. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

A local smith refused to strip and re-blue an original 58 cal. full stock Hawkins rifle. It was even marked J&S Hawkins Bros. St. Louis Mo. The guy went away mad, went to a gun store and bought some cold blue and did it himself after mangling it with sandpaper and a dremel tool. He even painted the iron furniture with a brass-metalic spray paint.

16. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

i had a bit of a twitch after that last one ..

17. UniversalBrow06

UniversalBrow06

Do not, I plead thee, even utter such wretched occurrences. :crying:

18. gjk5

gjk5 Pinche Gringo

thanks for the morning inspirational story!

19. Psychman

Psychman NRA Patriot Life Member

Yes, it is a gun from the Civil War, used at the battle at Gettysburg by private Jones, and it is worth 2K. Hope that helps you.