Gun for defending a motor home?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Glock-10mm, Jun 30, 2020.

1. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam
    Any* shotgun that won’t cycle LE13200 reduced recoil buck, it isn’t worth having around.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    rlewpolar likes this.
  2. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I think a mini-14 and .223 are a great choice. Low recoil, a lot of power, plus accuracy and range.

In general, a mag fed gun is pretty good for home defense. I also like the simplicity of a double barrel shotgun (short barrel).

You probably are not going to leave a loaded gun around. You have kids, so you have a lot of safety issues to consider. There are also safety laws concerning loaded guns and locked up guns, to consider.

With a detechable mag, you can keep that loaded and the gun empty. Emergency happens, mag goes in gun and rack the bolt/slide. Now it is loaded. In this case I think we are talking 10 rounds. Sure better than any sort of tube loading (various lever rifles, pump and semi-auti shotguns). I do like a double barrel shotgun, break open, insert 2 rounds, loaded.

When driving, be aware of state laws about loaded guns in vehicle. And be aware if that also pertains to loaded magazines (even if the gun itself is empty). And this issue might even be subject to individual police officer's opinion/interpretation of the law. Again here is where I like the simplicity of a double barrel shotgun (unloaded is unloaded, no question). NYS Troopers are big on loaded guns in vehicles and treat that as serious felony time. If one searches your motor home, moving or parked, you want to clearly know the laws on that issue.

Fortunately, the mini-14 is NY friendly, because no pistol grip. As long as you don't have additional features such as adjustable stock, threaded barrel, flash hider, muzzle break, etc. Again, the simplicity of double barrel shotgun (even Biden approves of them).

For .223 ammo, you want to make sure it works in your gun. Some might have feeding issues. Also be aware that .223 has a lot of bullet weights, so the twist rate of your barrel is important for getting the correct weight bullets (otherwise they fly funny and keyhole). Do you need to avoid hollow points for NJ? Are match HP bullets (built as hollow point for accuracy, not expansion) NJ friendly? Is FMJ a good self-defense round? Are lead soft-point rounds better? Will they feed ok in your gun? Those are ammo issues to think about.

With any semi-auto, cleaning is important. You don't want the action to rust and freeze up. You don't want the bolt/slide stuck. If stored away, heat, humidity, who knows. Maybe not checked often. Just a thought.

Just so you know, .223 is LOUD! If staying alive, that might not be your top consideration. But any other shooting if .223, be sure everyone has very goid hearing protection, that fits. I'm thinking of a kid with sloppy ear muffs pressed crooked against a stock. Also, that brass will fly. Eye protection and a baseball hat brim should be required for all. If shooting close, those high velocity .223 bullets will give potentially a lot bounce back or splash back, depending on what they are hitting. Also the obvious that .223 will travel a long, long, long way.

.223 is no different than any other centerfire rifle concern, so most of these issues are generic to a bunch of rifle calibers. I'm just mentioning them if you aren't used to centerfire rifles.

Hope you all enjoy your new gun :)

Glock-10mm likes this.

3. eddief4

eddief4

Grandpa kept a pistol grip Mossberg 500 in 12 gauge for RV defense. I'd feel plenty safe with a 20 gauge as well.

4. Kentucky Shooter

Kentucky Shooter NRA Life Member

You can’t beat a shotgun for defense in close quarters where ricochet and over penetration are concerns. In fact, the shotgun is hard to beat for home defense anywhere. And I’d also feel well protected with 20 gauge.

El Pistolero and rangerjd like this.
  5. glide

glide Just sayin'

To protect the homestead, my go-to gun is my Mossberg 500 Persuader 12ga shotgun. Got my electronic earpro right next to it. Slugs and 00 buck loaded alternately in the tube.

6. familyman357

familyman357 I'd be more cynical, but my apathy prevents it.

Solid choice. It's a wonderfully-reliable carbine (use factory Ruger magazines!) and the manual of arms is relatively simple and obvious. Is your Mini one of the old pencil-barreled ones or one of the new ones with the longer stock and heavier tapered barrel?

If you didn't already know, Ruger changed the barrel twist rate over the years. Here's a good list that may help you find the ideal bullet weight for your particular carbine:

https://sunflowerammo.blogspot.com/2012/11/ruger-mini-1430-barrel-twist-rates.html

Also, just for fun, a review of the earliest version of the Mini-14 by Col. Jeff Cooper from "back in the day":

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  7. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Thanks, well worth the read. Although I wonder if the AR-15 has seen improvements in reliability that he may not have been aware of :)

8. familyman357

familyman357 I'd be more cynical, but my apathy prevents it.

Well, it was written in 1974 or 1975, so not all of the content has aged well. ;)

ithaca_deerslayer likes this.
  9. Duramaxsky

Duramaxsky

I would like to have a mini 14. It's kinda on my wish list.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

10. 0311INF

0311INF

I had a mini 14 "tactical" traditional synthetic stocked version for a while. Nice rifle. Yes the mags must be the relatively pricey Ruger brand for greatest reliability. Which is partly why I passed it on. But for the OP's stated use, it fits the bill.

Glock-10mm likes this.
  11. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Uh, a shotgun is more likely to over penetrate than quite a few other choices. And buckshot ricochets well.

12. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Cool article. I could probably dig through my stack of old gun mags and come up with a couple more articles on the Mini. The only thing I don't like about my mini is the curved butt stock plate. Since the OP is going to cut his stock off for his wife he can make it straight with a rubber butt plate. Not for recoil but for a better grip on the shoulder. As Cooper points out, the butt plate is rather slippery.

The French National Police carry Mini 14s with the proper stock on them...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    Glock-10mm likes this.
  13. Kentucky Shooter

Can’t argue, but I’m curious as to what those other choices are, how readily available they are and how much they cost compared to a basic 1 oz load of 7.5 or 8 shot that I would use in moderately tight quarters.

In a truly crowded RV park, I’m doubtful there is anything that would be safe to discharge without putting bystanders at risk.

To answer the thread title and the OP’s question, I believe there may be no answer, except “pick the safest or least dangerous amongst a bunch of dangerous options.” But they are all gonna carry risk and you are responsible for every shot you fire.

14. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Birdshot is an abysmal choice for self defense, and fails to meet any of the common self defense standards such as the FBI’s 12” penetration standard.

You should check out the Box O’ Truth and the pistol and shotgun penetration tests. The 9mm snd 45 both penetrated more than the 12 gauge shooting 00 buck.

Kentucky Shooter likes this.
  15. Kentucky Shooter

I hear you and don’t disagree, but remember the scenario in question is an RV park.

If a 9mm or 45 penetrates more, wouldn’t they also be more susceptible to “overpenetration”?

16. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Yes, if you want limited penetration you need either a frangible bullet, a high velocity bullet that will tumble and fragment, or a bullet like the ballistic tip

Kentucky Shooter likes this.
  17. AZED

AZED

A bit outside the box, but, how about a well trained German Shepard? They are generally very good with kids and very protective.

18. 0311INF

0311INF

Yeah, but the Mini 14 is easier to potty train.

19. Glock-10mm

Glock-10mm

Thanks for the reply's guys! That old Mini-14 article was an interesting read!

To answer the question, the Mini-14 my wife bought was a new one (ranch edition) with the newer style thicker barrel which is supposed to have increased accuracy.

Also to clear something up, we seldom stay in RV parks. We mostly boon dock (dry camp) in the desert as far away from others that we can get. Don't forget we still have our hand guns that we can use when we're staying in built up areas.

Unfortunately right now we have a fire ban in our area, so no shooting in the National Forest. When we can get back out there we will be safe and keep the kids hearing well protected. Maybe we might have to take a trip to the local gun range...

A few people have mentioned a dog and I agree that they are a great alarm system and general deterrent. But our eldest has a dog allergy so that is a non starter.

So far we have ordered a Holosun HS512c red dot and a pic rail system for the min-14. Mounting will be forward of the ejector port (scout gun style I believe it's called) which will be good for me since the optic won't be right in my face with that tiny cut down stock. Also bought four 10 round Ruger mags and we were able to buy about 200 rounds of .223 ammo. 62 gr bullets which I believe are close to the sweet spot for the mini's barrel twist rate of 1 in 9, but I will have to double check.

I'm a little disappointed to find out there are no Ruger 15 round mags. In fact I can't find any 15 round mags by any manufacturer. 15 round mags are legal in CO, and I'd prefer to have them at our house and keep the 10 round mags for the motor home. Ruger sells 20 and 30 round mags, but they are not OK in CO. Stupid gun laws!

When the pic rail gets here we're going to borrow my Glock 40's Streamlight TRL-2 light laser combo to see how well it works for the wife. She has a green laser on her M&P 380 EZ shield, so I think it would be a good idea to get her the same color laser for the mini.

ithaca_deerslayer likes this.
  20. Glock-10mm

Glock-10mm

FWIW, the one we purchased (ranch edition) has a straight butt stock plate. It think it's just the older ones with that curve.