close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gun fire on the job

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by Glockenbang76, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Glockenbang76

Glockenbang76 Glockaholic

I know police are shot at on occasion while performing their duties. Have any of you ever experienced this being an EMT/FF? What is your department's policy on being shot at? Meaning, do you retreat (leave the scene) until safe or wait until police arrive? Yes, this question sounds retarded, but I was just curious. I mean, I'm sure it happens where a FD is located in a bad part of a city.

2. DTD2

DTD2 vote or die

Yep, 5 years running on an ambulance on th NW side of Milwaukee. 3 diffrent instances resulting in 4 holes in punched in the box, while sitting in it.

Not one of these happened while enroute to or on scene of a call where you would expect gunfire.

As for what happened.....duck and punch it.

We have a radio procedure which in essence is similar to an "Officer needs assistance" request.

The night I decided to purchase a vest, I went on 7 diffrent assaults/domestics/fights ranging from beat with a pipe, to hit with a lamp, hit with a brick, to a good ole fashion pistol whipping.

At the pistol whipping the PD called us in, scene secured. We went in and began treatment. The PD continue to interview the pt. When asked what did he do with the gun she replied "I don't know". The 3 year old heard the question, snuck off into the bedroom and retrieved the handgun off the bed and brought it to the officer.

Moral of the story THE SCENE IS NEVER SECURE.

3. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

I never been shot at while on the job.

If I ever do get shot at I'm gonna be outta there quicker than Superman in a kryptonite store!

4. Navy HMC

Navy HMC

I have had several calls in which I received fire, though not for a few years. In all cases, rapid retreat was not an option. the only thingwe could do is find cover quickly and call for help. BTW, the large business sized dumpsters will stop .357, 9mm and .223. This is from past experience.

5. 00blkgt

00blkgt

Not that this is fool proof but I try to load and go to the outer edge of whatever neighborhood it is and let the Po Po know that if they have anymore questions for the individual where they can find us. I also try to strip them of any excess clothing ( jackets, extra shirts, etc. ) and tell them its just for us to be able to accurately assess them. I cannot rely on the police to keep us secure.
    J:shocked:

6. oldstyle

oldstyle Jeep Pirate

We responded to a structure fire and AFTER our arrival were notified to "stage" because this was also a shooting scene. We considered leaving, but quickly decided the safest place to be was INSIDE the burning house.

I have never been shot at but have seen the pointed end of a knife twice. I ran once and reasoned with the other.

7. patw

patw

About a year ago in my dept., Sta. 15 responded to a seizure at a nightclub. It was in a bad part of town and it was in the late hours of the night.I heard it on the radio and spoke to one of the guys afterwards. He said it went like this. He and his partner were on the rescue truck driving to the scene with an emt student on board,and the engine a few minutes behind. The rescue crew went towards the building,when all of the sudden one guy came flying out of the building covered in blood,running past the rescue crew towards the rescue truck. The guy jumped in the rear of the truck and started locking the doors,(the emt student was still inside). The guy jumped into the front cab and started locking the front doors,when a large crowd also started towards the truck after him,apparently they didn't finish what they started to do to this guy.Anyway,the guy stepped on one of the floor/air horn buttons,causing the siren to go off.My buddy said about a dozen people pulled out some guns and started firing everywhere. About that time the engine rolled up,the lt.,who still did not know what was going on,but did after a few moments and held his radio in the air(capturing the sounds of guns being fired),the engineer took off into another direction,my buddies both took off into separate directions,leaving the guy in the rescue unit along with the emt student. When all was said and done and the cops controlled the scene,there were about 20-30 casings around the rescue truck,although no bullet holes. My brother said it was like a scene from the movie 'Black Hawk Down',(he said this because the lt. reminded him of the character Sizemore played in the movie holding his radio in the air with gunfire abound,chaos was everywhere). We have never had a situation this bad before and I am sure it will not be the last,unfortunately. I thank God every day for my safety and that of my fellow brethren. I have had a few close calls,but nothing like that.

8. D25

D25 The Quick

Not shot at, but had an up close view of the business end of a shotgun on two seperate occasions. One was a structure fire, the other was an injured thumb while I was doing my paramedic internship - funny story actually.

On the front poarch, I asked the gentleman how he cut his thumb so bad. He answered that it was from wrestling the shotgun away from his meth-head son. As he is telling me this, I see the before unseen son level the shotgun at me from inside the house. A really quick step off the poarch and a few more quick steps into the ambulance kept that day a good one. My partner nearly crashed the ambulance backing it up the winding driveway at about MACH 1.3. A while later, with us staged about a half mile away, and the sheriff on scene, we hear 2 gunshots, followed by the police stating the scene was now secure. I thought that they had killed the tweaker, but the had beanbagged him, and I had the privelage of treating and transporting the guy who had just tried to kill me.

9. Random

Random AtticRat

Psshhww. There is no bad area in our city. Only a bad city. We get dispatched on burglar alarms and 911 hangups almost routinely. Everyone just hopes that they're not the one that catches the bullet to get this to change, but we all know it's coming.
    -NOFD (Yeah, I said it. Let 'em fire me)

10. Navy HMC

Navy HMC

One of my most memorable "Shots fired calls came when I had a paramedic student who was absolutley totally cluesless about self- preservation.

We had the call of a shooting and were about two blocks from the scene when a person bleeidng is lying in the middle of the street. We make the proper calls about having a new patient and responding another unit to the original call as we were now gainfully occupied with a red red stabbing patient (from a different incident, but he heard/saw us and came up with a radical and dangerous way to gain our attention: lay down in the middle of the street.)

While we are starting to plug hole and package for transport, we hear additional gun shots in the direction of the original call. The student grabs the trauma box and starts running down the street towards the shots. Talk about an as* ripping when we were done: 1) patient abandonment-he was caring for the stab patient when the shots rang out 2) WTF were you thinking? We are not superman, we don't dodge bullets, they hurt when they penetrate your body and the like.

Mind you, this was the same student that when we made a call for a possible suicidal patient, did the following: We approach a darkened house, no movement or anything, lights out but curtains open. This moron puts his face against the window saying "I don't see anyone" meanwhile, he didn't understand why we grabbed him and bid a hasty retreat from the porch-about two heart beats later, the alleged patient is coming out of the house with ball bat in hand.

11. akulahawk

akulahawk

I'm glad I've never had any co-workers who were THAT clueless... and I've been pretty lucky that I've never been surprise attacked while at work. I DID get a guy who was having a psychotic episode to volunteer to have him put into 4 point restraints... Yes, he REALLY DID volunteer. Eveyone else that had been restrained was either in custody already OR we'd had to fight them a bit.

A few years ago, one of my friends (worked for another company) told me that it wasn't uncommon for some of their crews to be shot at... but at least nobody had been hurt or killed.

One of my instructors relayed to us this story: "We went to a 'man-down' call, went inside and found the patient inside this house. We quickly realized this this guy had been shot and we'd started to work on him. My partner said aloud, "I wonder who shot him," and a voice from behind them said "I did." We told him that we hadn't seen him and to please let us continue our work. We heard nothing so we continued working. When we were ready to transport, we saw that the voice had left.".

12. emtman45

emtman45

Our policy is RLH( run like HE**)!! we rolled up to a grass fire one time and had to go behind this guys house to get to it and he met us with a shotgun in tote needless to say we jammed it in reverse and headed to the road and called the county sheriff and let them take care of the gun totin redneck before we dealt with the grass fire