gun cleaning. CLP/Hoppes #9 sig p226

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by centr0, Jan 9, 2010.

1. centr0

centr0

I'm trying out different things when cleaning my p226. I used CLP the first time and heard great things about hoppes #9 and my questions are this:

1. do i just use hoppes like CLP? soak a brush and scrub scrub scrub and let it sit? if so, for how long?

2. to anyone that owns a sig P226, where do you oil the trigger? with the frame upside down and add a drop on the trigger itself next to the frame? i cant reach anywhere else.

3. after going to the range i field stripped and near the back of the slide where the firing pin resides theres this metal bar that makes contact with the frame (not sure its technical name). it was bone dry as far as oil. i remember putting a decent amount of CLP the last time and its like its not there anymore. the time elapsed from putting the CLP on and going to the range was 6 days. i guess i just need to put more? do you guys oil up before taking it to the range?

4. the kleenbore silicone cloth works great i guess? theres this petroleum film on the gun and it attracts lint like crazy and feels nasty when i handle it... i have to wipe it down before i rack the slide because it feels so oily. are silicone cloths really suggested after handling the gun? does everyone use them?

5. i also purchased hoppes elite gun oil as my miltec is running out. anyone have experiences with this oil? suggestions on which oil to use? i see people wiping gun oil all over their gun and wipe it off which confuses me. why?

thanks in advance!

2. hikerpaddler

hikerpaddler

For "wet" guns such as 1911's, most sigs, m4's, etc., there's nothing like CLP. For "dry" guns, such as glocks, a proper solvent followed by a few drops of a light oil is more efficient.

3. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

4. ganymede

ganymede

For my P226 stainless, I only use grease for lubrication. I find it works a lot better than oil (stays where you put it and doesn't evaporate). I use TW25b and I think its great

5. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you're seriously interested in details, let me know.

6. den888

den888

I use ONLY CLP and stopped using Hoppes # 9 and CLP. I prefer one step and it has worked for all of my weapons - 1911's, Glocks, S&W revolvers, etc

7. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

I use Tetra Gun Lube and like it. It actually cleans very well and I use it to lightly lube my guns. Similar to the old military LSA.

8. raven11

raven11

if he isn't i sure am , my SIG is getting shot more than i thought it would. and SIG's aren't cheap.

9. centr0

centr0

definitely interested in details if you have the time.

also, im getting wear on top of the frame, near the hammer where the slide makes contact. is this normal? pics after its done soaking if requested (i have to dig around for the usb cable :(.)

it looks like everyone uses gun grease rather than gun oil. never realized there was a difference until recently.

10. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

If you don't mind, I'll put together a PDF and email it to you tomorrow. The steps are easy and the gun stays clean.

In the meantime, here's my almost seven year old Sig P226ST with over 20k rounds on the clock; cleaned and before lube.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If I had run nothing but CLP on this gun, I doubt it would not have made the 20,000 round mark.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  11. raven11

raven11

Thanks Cobra:wavey:

12. DannyB

DannyB

Damn I hate to sound ignorant, but what is CLP?

I just got through having great success with Hoppes #9 on a stainless Ruger 44 without turning it into a workout.

13. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

CLP is used by a lot of folks as the Magical One Step firearms juice.

It's a super high octane cleaner and additive that cleans carburators, fuel injectors, lubricates crankshaft bearings, great for transmissions, brakes, coil over shocks, wheel bearings and works well on leather, naugahyde and chrome trim. Brings out the glisten in black sidewall tires while removing stones and tread punctures. The new, super improved model contains anti-radar additive that thwarts X and K band radar signals. Starting January 1st, you get a $5.00 mail in rebate towards a new ultra hi-cap 67 round Glock magazine.

14. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

Wilson Combat has their own flavor of grease. Almost all the Sigsters use Slide Glide or other high quality gun greases, I use Slide Glide on these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course others have their own philosophy that seems to work well for them. My guns always work, and I shoot them a lot.

15. centr0

centr0

here is a pic of the back of my frame near the hammer where the slide makes contact. the only way i can describe it is that the slide is carving its way through that piece. theres a VERY small groove its making.

Attached Files:

16. centr0

centr0

that would be awesome of you! thanks man!

17. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

From what I can see, not good. There's been a rash of burrs on Sig slides that rips through the annodizing. I wouldn't shoot it until you test for burrs by running your fingernail along all the slide surfaces, and feel for burrs.

Bruce gray has had countless requests to examine new owner's Sigs and he's now recommending that owners inspect for slide burrs. The stainless will rip the sh1t out of the annodizing laying bare the soft aluminum.

My 239 didn't sufffer from that, but the nitron was wearing off at a very early stage before I knew about greasing the rails.

[​IMG]

18. DannyB

DannyB

Is this something that you can simply walk into the auto parts store and ask for?

19. Cobra64

Cobra64 Deals in Facts

No. Auto parts store sells stuf for autos. Brian Enos sells it on his web site, or TopGunSupply.com has it too. Most all the Sigsters on Sig Forum buy all their parts and accessories from TGS. http://www.topgunsupply.com/gun-cleaner-and-lubricant/

It comes in a tub or a tube for about 10 bucks. I've had one tub for a couple of years, so it goes a long way. If you think that's a lot of money, compare it to the cost of a $1,000 pistol or a six pack of beer. :)