Gun buying: starting, frequency, type and number.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by stiletto raggio, Nov 7, 2004.

1. stiletto raggio

stiletto raggio

I am starting to get the feeling that I am really abnormal in the gun buying department.

I got a .22 at age 13, and a shotgun for my 18th. I bought another shotgun that same year, marking my first purchase. Since then I have received two more guns as gifts, inluding my first pistol at age 21, and have otherwise acquired a total of 5 pistols, 4 revolvers, 7 rifles and 6 shotguns. I have only sold two guns, and SKS (which was a bit of an eyesore in my collection) and a 340PD that kicked more than my dad wanted to deal with.

I have noticed some trends, it seems, among younger shooters: focused buying (a guy who owns five handguns but no rifles or shotguns), bulk buying (three cheap guns rather than one nice one) and ammo-focused buying (buying guns that shoot the cheapest ammo possible).

All of my shotguns are 12 gauge. Recoil and weight don't bother me, so why bother with other cartridges?

I have 2 9mms, 4 .40s, 2 .45 Colts and a 10mm. The first two are common, the second two are not.

I have 3 .22 rifles, the most versatile of and format/caliber combination. I Have one each in .223, .308 and 45/70. Again, the last is hardly common or cheap to shoot.

I like commonality of ammo, but not at the expense of performance. I appreciate versatility, but also love guns that do one job VERY well. I like aesthetically pleasing guns, but take more pleasure in good lines and good wood than fancy stuff. I enjoy high-end guns, but what really intrigues me is bang for the buck.

Anyone else out there into diversity like this? If not, why?

(P.S.- I sympathize with all my penniless compatriots. I was that way until recently... the sun will rise!)

2. Aphotic

Aphotic happy-go-lucky

I really tend to go with diversity, but I have my favorites.

First gun was a .22 rifle when I was about 13. Once I had been in a Shooting Sports Club for a couple of years I got a shotgun for Christmas when I was 15. It's been downhill ever since.

I do like to diversify.
    For hanguns... I much prefer .40 or .45 to anything else (automatics). As far as revolvers, I'm a huge fan of the .357 magnum.
    Shotgun... if it's not 12 gauge, I don't want it.
    Rifle... .223 or better, 30.06 or .308 would be standard choices because ammo is available everywhere you look. 7mm is cool too, among many others. I like big rifles.
    Muzzleloading... not into it at all, no need for it.

I don't really like aesthetically pleasing guns. Most of mine are black synthetic or brushed steel. Not sure why, I guess I just can't imagine being out in the snow and rain and mud with a "pretty" hunting gun, or defending myself in a dark alleyway with a "flashy" handgun.

Best quote ever:
    "If you rob me at gunpoint and I draw, the last thing to go through your mind will be 'Wow, that's a nice, pretty gun!' If you rob Aphotic at gunpoint, the last thing to go through your mind will be 'Oh $hit, he's got a Glock!'"
    -My friend DN on 11/06/2004

3. stiletto raggio

stiletto raggio

I guess I should have worded that better. Aesthetics are pretty subjective. I hope you don't look at a Glock and think, "Damn, that is UGLY," because I certainly think mine look good. Clean, modern lines have something to be said for them. "Hardcore" is another good aesthetic, one I think my RR AR embodies pretty well. But I digress...

4. lumberjack

lumberjack One of Many

I seem to buy guns at a pretty good rate, as money alows. (That $500 a month car payment bites!)

I normally perfer synthetic over wood any day. I love the way my glocks look. I perfer function over pretty looks any day.

I like guns/cartridges that can fill a variety of purposes, such as my 45-70, 10mm or a 3.5" 12ga pump.

stiletto raggio, have you checked out double tap ammo? 10mm is making a comeback!

5. TomSplasky

TomSplasky Encase Elegance

Weeellllllll.

I shot my first .22 rifle when I was like 8 (Stevens 22)

I got my Glock for christmas 2003, I got an AR15 somewhere inbetweed that with money I got from selling a dirtbike. Then I'm probably going to get a Kimber TLE/RL2 this christmas.

6. StockGlock23

StockGlock23 Hilarious!

I try to buy a gun a year. I have currently in my possession:
    .17 HMR Savage 93R17
    .54 Caliber Traditions ML
    Mossy 500 12 Gauge
    Glock 23
    .221 fireball Remington 700

I am buying a .308 700VS thia fall and I am hoping to pick up a cheap AK-47 this spring. I look for a reason to buy a gun when I go I tend to go all out if it is feasible. I have only gotten rid of 1 gun in my life and I regret it from the second (literally) it left my hand. My ruger 10/22. I am gonna start cruising the pawn shops looking for a nice 10/22. And if I can find a few older Ruger .357s well I suppose I will just have to buy those too. Basically when I am 50 years old I want 50 guns. Or 500 if budget allows.

7. 45g21

45g21

I didnt get started shooting until i was 16 and that was with my dads old .22 bolt action. I then got a .30-06 one Christmas when i was 17. The next gun I got and the First one i bought was my Glock 21 when I was 21. Then I got an 870 Super magnum last christmas and this year I have bought a Ruger MarkII and a Glock 33. My next gun will be an AR15. All my guns are all black except for the .22 and .30-06 which I did not buy. The number one requirement for any gun I buy is reliability.

8. Aphotic

Aphotic happy-go-lucky

People always say, "Don't get rid of it- you'll kick yourself later..."

I seriously believe that. If I don't think a gun will last me years and years and years, I just don't buy it in the first place. I still have every gun I've ever purchased or been given.

That's about the same situation I'm in. How do you like your G21? I'm seriously considering one... PM me, if you get some time.

9. 45g21

45g21

PM sent

10. Juell

Juell Gun Nut that is

I bought my first gun when I was 18. It is a 10/22 standard, it was on sale for $99.99!
    My folks hated guns, didn't want one in the house, and basically forbade me from having one, but I bought one anyway!
    Next was an 870 police shotty, 3" mag. I kept it under my bed next to the 10/22.
    Then my folks found my stash, and got really pissed.
    I bought a safe the next day, and once they realized that the guns wouldn't get out on their own and just kill people, they became a little less afraid. I educated them, and now they're completely competent when it comes to guns. They like shooting, and understand why I like it too!
    Now I own more guns than most people, and it's more like an investment. I try to buy one gun a month, but lately it's been hard to get to the gun stores (I'm in the Army) So I save up my pay, and blow it all on guns and accesories!
    In the two weeks I've been back home, I bought a WASR-10 AK, a .22 single six, another G-17, and a Romy SKS!
    I'll need another safe soon!!!

11. cjp85

cjp85

my dad got me hooked really early.
    I got a .22 when I was 9
    A Marlin 30-30 when I was 11(I was soooo scared of that thing)
    And when I was 12 my dad passed away and I got all his guns:
    Sako 7mm Rem Mag
    Colt Police Positive Special
    Glock 21
    Remington 870 Wingmaster
    and a couple other guns that I dont really shoot.
    And a couple days ago I bought a G19.
    I would never go strictly El Cheapo, but it is nice no have a couple plinkers to shoot all day without putting too big of a hole in my wallet.

12. eagles405

eagles405

I am 19 now and got my first gun when I was 17. Well my first real gun that burnt powder, a 22 at 15 I got a pellet/BB gun that I practiced with and drilled all my gun safty rules into myself with(there great for that). In two years I have been given a Reminton 700 model 30-06 and a Remington 1100 12 gouge shot gun. Last friday I just purchased my first handgun a glock 23 and am working on saving up for a ar 15.

Eagles405

13. Aphotic

Aphotic happy-go-lucky

G23...

Solid choice my man, solid choice.

14. williamv

williamv

well, i am 16 and have a few guns my self. none of them have i bought but since my grandad died and he had about 40 in his collection i have gotten a few over the years for birthday and christmas.
    30/30
    (1) 243
    (1) 270
    (1) 12 gauge browing citori
    (2) 20 gauge 1100
    (2) 410& 28 gauge match pair 1100
    My dad and i have a bunch of other guns that would take too long to list. About 40 ish in all. 6 or 7 pistols. mostly .22lr a 38, couple 9mm, thats about it.

15. MC_Stan

MC_Stan

I got my 9mm Glock 19 when I was 15. I never had a chance to shoot it alot, and yo I aint into target shoting that's for sure. I only use my gun for self defense. I've only fired ~ 100 ruonds thru it, and I practise in close ranges, like up to 10 yards. I say that handgun is designed exactly for distances like that, so I aint tryin to get Super-magnum accuracy with my pistol.

16. StockGlock23

StockGlock23 Hilarious!

If you have only shot a hundred round through your glock than there is no reason you should be carrying. My opinion. I have shot thousands and I still need to get better. To effectivly carry and be a safe fireamr owner I think you should master your weapon and have the utmost certainty when handling it. I would not feel confidant that I could subdue an attacker with such little trigger time. Not trying to flame but you really should get to the range more.

17. MC_Stan

MC_Stan

Originally posted by StockGlock23
    Yo listen man. I'ma tell you like this - how the hell am I supposed to miss human size target in 10 ft ? Is that possible? I don't aim with my gun side-flipped if that's what you tryin to say. And in an event of self defence, how often ya get to shoot at somebody who's 25 yards from ya? That aint no self defense! I say self defense is when some pissed off mothaf***cka's got you at a gunpoint, and you say "wait please don't kill me I'll give ya everything I got" and then ya pull your Glock and bust a clip at the atacker. Believe me, I'm pretty good at pullin my gun out, I've practised alot on that. And like I said, how stupid you gotta be to miss someone when the distance is like 10 ft?
    Still, I agree, you're right. Practicing can't do no harm.

18. StockGlock23

StockGlock23 Hilarious!

Ten feet and ten yards are not the same. I never mentioned shooting sideways. Under high stress situations 10 yards can probably feel like a mile. I don't know I have never had to draw under a life/death situation. All I am saying is like you said more practice can't do any harm.

19. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

Originally posted by MC_Stan
    ;z Please tell me your joking!

20. stiletto raggio

stiletto raggio

I'm afraid not. The Right to Keep and Bear Arms is guaranteed by the Constitution, but grammar, apparently, is not. This reveals a bit of prejudice on my part, but it is an absolute fact that even if what you are saying is perfectly sensible, people will dismiss you because of how you say it.

I see the logic in both sides of the argument, although I fall under the category of "practice with what you carry," even if reliability is the only issue. I alse know that in a lot of places (like Detroit) it can be hard to find a good place to shoot and much harder to fnd an instructor.

Alos, keep in mind that everyone is welcome on these forums, and most people are just trying to be honest and point you in the right direction.