close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gun ammo "hoarders"

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by eccho, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Cybercowboy

Cybercowboy Support the 2nd

Let's just say that I'd like to happen to the current ammo speculators what happened to the tulip bulb speculators a few hundred years ago...

2. Roger1079

Roger1079

Got to agree here. If you are purchasing it for someone else that is going to purchase it from you it is a straw purchase. Regardless of whether they are prohibited, you are lying on the 4473. If you told the truth that you were buying it for someone else and being repaid for it, the store would refuse the sale.

What that guy from the Facebook page is doing is walking on a frayed tightrope. He openly admitted he was purchasing the firearms for resale which means he is lying on the 4473 for every firearm he is buying for that purpose. Aside from that, BATFE has a well documented history of interpreting laws the way they see fit. In fact many of the laws they enforce are written very open ended to allow such vague interpretations. The one on the purchase and resale of a firearm seems pretty cut and dried though. This guy is doing something ILLEGAL, and he openly admitted it on Facebook leaving BATFE the ability to potentially hit him with a straw purchase for every firearm he has purchased that he no longer has possesion of. This guy is an absolute idiot and has no understanding of what the consequences of his actions could potentially be.

3. Roger1079

Roger1079

Forget blowing a hole in the wall. There would just be a drone strike ordered on the house. Problem solved. Drone strikes should also be ordered on the hoarders residences so that ranges, stores, and the NRA won't cease to exist, and the 2nd amendment won't be wiped from the Bill of Rights.

:rofl:

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  4. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

At the range I frequent they have ammo but they are rationing the sale to two boxes for range use and one box to take home. I've also noticed a lot fewer people shooting at the range in the last few weeks, and I attribute that to the ammo shortage.

Cowboy, I don't think the speculators are that big a factor in the shortage. I've seen several of these now and I think it's mostly caused by ordinary folks panic buying all the available supply. After all the other panics I never saw any indications of speculators going broke.

5. 427

No, not having ammo because their prices are below the current market and they have no ability to restock. If they'd raised their prices, they might have some ammo to sell.

Why would they do that? Please explain.

6. 427

Somebody please explain why ammo/mags/firearms are held to a different standard than any other product/commodity that's bought and sold. I keep asking but none of the emotional people will answer.

7. 427

And if it's a private sale? Say some one buys a firearm, not because they want it but because it's a good deal. They want to flip it, trade it whatever. Is that illegal?

8. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

:rofl: I hope we don't "go Dutch"

9. Mushinto

Mushinto Master Member

Without primers, they may have to stay ready.

No, it is not illegal.

10. joatmo

joatmo Under treatment

I have 150 rounds of .45. If I can find some, I will buy some. I won't buy all of it though. To each his/her own. I have alot more things to worry about than how much ammunition I have. Don't get me wrong, I love to shoot but it's not life or death.

11. Fear Night

Fear Night NRA Life Member

I thought "ready" implied that I had enough primers, which I do. Just need to shoot some more to get more brass :supergrin:

12. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

I bought 200 rounds of .45 ACP in December to break in a new gun. First factory ammo I'd bought in a year or more. It was before the crisis, though, so I didn't contribute to the shortage.

13. joatmo

joatmo Under treatment

No different standard as I can tell. It's bought and sold just like anything else that costs $.

14. Jack_Pine

Jack_Pine CLM

Exactly. I hate speculators with any commodity.

15. Angry Fist

Angry Fist Dehumanizer® Lifetime Member

Really, I got 6 boxes of .308 at WM 2 years ago, for a gun I no longer own. Am I a straight-up bastard for wanting even $30 per box, when I only paid $20? Guess I'll sit on it, even though, like many here, I could always use the money, and I never known anyone to complain about their own profit.

The Summer's Eve is deep enough to drown a few ****ers, here.

16. gwalchmai

gwalchmai Lucky Member

Speculation drives the economy. It'd be a dull place without 'em.

17. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

Meaning...
    It'd be a dull place without speculators because most people would go hungry on a frequent basis. none of us would have fuel in our vehicles, and our homes would be dark with no electricity.

So many folks in this discussion seem to expect that life will somehow be "fair". It sometimes surprises me how many adults have never moved past this childlike notion. Some people live very sheltered lives.

For these people "fair" inevitably means "what makes me feel good".
    Then they're somehow surprised every time they find that the world isn't particularly concerned with what makes them feel good.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  18. spcwes

spcwes

The biggest issue with this thought process is thinking there are folks buying everything in sight and hording it in a bunker somewhere. Most folks that stockpile ammo have had their piles of ammo for years.

What you are seeing right now is folks buying everything in sight and marking it up 300% and reselling it to folks that didn't plan so well. One would be without reasonable thought process to think that even the majority of these folks buying everything in sight are doing so because they want to have it on hand in case of an emergency, they are selling it hand over fist.

19. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

And ?
    Is that really a problem?

20. racerford

racerford

It depends on the totality of the circumstances. If you buy guns with the intent to resell at a profit to support yourself, and do so, it could be illegal because you could be "in the business" of selling firearms. As such if you don't the proper FFL you would be in breach of federal law. The ATF prosecutes people for this on a regular basis. They frequent gun shows looking for just this type of thing. Additionally, if you sell firearms for a profit, even as a coincidence to a firearm hobby, and do not report that income, you would be guilty of tax evasion.

So the answer is not a flat "No, it is not illegal" . As they say, the devil is in the details.