close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Gun Air Travel

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by glockess56, Apr 12, 2007.

1. glockess56

glockess56 CLM

OK gang, I need advice. I want to do some GSSF matches out west or at greater distances. I have driven from Columbus, Ohio to Ft. Benning, Topton, PA and Conyers, not counting the three of four hour drives to Indy, Brighten, Lexington and Marietta. I know some of you travel from Florida to matches in Texas and I know you fly. What is the procedure for flying with firearms in baggage. Do you ever worry about the guns being stolen once you get there? I was thinking of flying to Chicago and traveling 1.5 hours to the Milwaukee match instead of driving the seven plus hours. I know that if I ask here I'll get good advice. It seems that some of these air fares are cheaper than filling the van.

2. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

3. DEJ/FL

DEJ/FL Millennium Member

glockess56
    We do fly to a couple of matches a year and the only issues we have ever had was with the total weight of ammo. We flew out of Jacksonville,FL to Baltimore on Southwest to attend the Jackson, NJ match and when we checked in the lady at the check in wanted to weight all our ammo, needless to say we were over there 11 pound MAXIMUM and had to leave ammo back in the car.
    The sight that Matt has up is pretty good. We break down the pistol to where the slide and barrel are off the frame and that seems to make everyone happy. With SouthWest and Continetal, the ammo can be in the same case as the firearms. We have our firearms in a hard sided gun case and then we place that gun case in a regular suitcase. That way it doesn't scream "GUN CASE" and it is what most airlines recomend.
    This year we are flying into Philly to attend the Jackson match to avoid the anti-gun state of MD.

Dan:cool:

4. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

Keep in mind the 11 pound rule is an Airline policy not a Fed law like it used to be. Some airlines dont care about ammo weight so check with your carrier first.

5. BCarver

BCarver CLM Millennium Member

Matt and Dan,
    Great advice for those traveling with handguns using the airlines. I have always used a Pelican hard equipment case with padlocks and most people think that I'm carrying camera equipment or other electronics. I declare my weapons, fill out the paperwork and lock the paperwork inside the case. I've had a couple of incidents in Baltimore where the agent at the ticket counter wanted me to give them my keys to the case but I politely reminded them that according to FAA regulations, I am not suppose to leave the locks unlocked and they told me that they would page me if they needed me to unlock the case. I had no problem after that.

Like Matt said, do some homework before you fly, follow the regulations and you should have no problems.

See you at a match soon,
    Bobby Carver