GlockTalk Forum banner

Which guitar do you like better and why?

• Fender

Votes: 35 46.7%
  • Gibson

Votes: 24 32.0%
  • Other. Please elaborate.

Votes: 16 21.3%
101 - 120 of 123 Posts

·
woo woo
30,727 Posts
When I started out playing through a cheap solid state Crate amp, they all pretty much sounded the same, lol.
The nuances and different tones really emerge when you get good amplification.
In general, I like the more 'woody' and horn style sounds of semi dirty and overdriven Gibsons vs semi dirty Fender, but clean reverb with Fenders can be pure bliss, chiming bells tones and chord definition.
Different pickup combos and drive can have Teles sounding like LPs or P90s in Gibson SGs...

·
Registered
864 Posts
If I had to pick a Fender, it would be a Jaguar because of the 24" scale. If I had to pick a Gibson, it would be an Epiphone 335 PRO. Great sound at a WAY lower price, and a shorter scale than most Fenders. If they made a Strat with a 24.5" scale, I'd be all over it.

·
In The Saddle
7,821 Posts
No electric.... But I do have acoustics...

Fender/with electronics, Seagull S-6 cedar top with cherry wood sides and back... Martin HD-28 Alaskan Sitka spruce top and rosewood solid sides/back...

Don't discount the Seagull. My Martin is a $3,500-ish Guitar, and the Seagull does give it a run. I have used/played the Seagull in prisons and jails for the guys, more than the Martin. Yes the Martin Is the winner hands down, but don't underestimate the Seagull if you get the opportunity.... Mine has an excellent full sound, and I've had 3 of them. Gave the other two away to musician friends.... This one I will always have... And the Martin.

CM
🐴

_storage_ (2).jpg

MARTIN HD-28

IMG_6099.JPG

IMG-1167.JPG

·
Registered
161 Posts
I had a Telecaster but I was offered more than I thought it was worth so I sold it as I needed the money. I thought it was great while standing, but resting on my leg while sitting soon became uncomfortable for me. The Stratocaster is scalloped on the back of the body and more user friendly, again for me. I also prefer ones with the slanted single pickup. Humbuckers are great but I like the trashier sound of single pickups

If a Gibson I would seek a SG as the body is more comfortable
This is why I love offsets, just as comfortable sitting down as standing up

·
USMC "The Few The Proud"
11,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Here’s me and Rick two years ago View attachment 909092
Wow, thanks really cool. What are the circumstances of this meeting? I also noticed Rick wearing a "Beatles" shirt, ever see their DVD where they play the whole "Seargent Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"? They wore the same costumes as the Beatles and it was a great show. Later.

·
17,952 Posts
Wow, thanks really cool. What are the circumstances of this meeting? I also noticed Rick wearing a "Beatles" shirt, ever see their DVD where they play the whole "Seargent Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band"? They wore the same costumes as the Beatles and it was a great show. Later.
Have you got a link for that?

·
Premium Member
22,804 Posts
My first guitar was a beautiful MIM Strat made around 2004 if I remember right. I bought it used with a case for about $350. It was a great guitar but after playing many styles I decided I didn't care for it as much and sold it years later for $425.

View attachment 909089
My first decent guitar was the Masada Strat, now known as the lawsuit guitar. I was more an Les Paul guy, so I eventual got a Les Paul studio. However, I saidon day I’ll have a real Strat. Meanwhile, my “copy”got decent tuners and pickups. By the time I got the real thing, and sold off the copy, I was hugely disappointed. I had an eBay search setup for 3 years, and finally found another Masada. Now I need to do the tuners and pickups all over again.:whistle:

·
USMC "The Few The Proud"
11,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Well I bought a CD/DVD combo pack right when it came out several years ago when I was still working. I split it(Cost) with a co-worker, I got the DVD and he got the CD.

Anyway, I'm sure that you can find the DVD somewhere on the net, maybe Amazon or E-Bay.

Reactions: Inyo Tim

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
It was a meeting at our trade show (NAMM). I was looking for him to do some endorsement/PR work for a guitar brand I was pushing. I worked with him for quite a few years when I was working for another guitar brand he was known for using. Tom Petersson was using our bass guitars at that time. We invented the 12 string bass which we designed for him.

·
USMC "The Few The Proud"
11,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
No electric.... But I do have acoustics...

Fender/with electronics, Seagull S-6 cedar top with cherry wood sides and back... Martin HD-28 Alaskan Sitka spruce top and rosewood solid sides/back...

Don't discount the Seagull. My Martin is a $3,500-ish Guitar, and the Seagull does give it a run. I have used/played the Seagull in prisons and jails for the guys, more than the Martin. Yes the Martin Is the winner hands down, but don't underestimate the Seagull if you get the opportunity.... Mine has an excellent full sound, and I've had 3 of them. Gave the other two away to musician friends.... This one I will always have... And the Martin.

CM
🐴

View attachment 909112

MARTIN HD-28

View attachment 909114

View attachment 909116
Damn that's some fine guitars you have there, now I want to hear Richie Haven's "Freedom"....LOL. Saw him play live opening for Wishbone Ash at a Junior College in Rockford, Illinois back in the mid 70s. He was fantastic. Later.

Reactions: CanyonMan

·
In The Saddle
7,821 Posts
Damn that's some fine guitars you have there, now I want to hear Richie Haven's "Freedom"....LOL. Saw him play live opening for Wishbone Ash at a Junior College in Rockford, Illinois back in the mid 70s. He was fantastic. Later.

LOL... Yes sir, I'll come right over and rip off a RH for ya! HA. Wish I could play like RH.... ! At least ya got to see/hear him ! Very cool.

Well thanks amigo... There 'are better' (tough to beat Martin HD-28 though) for sure, but these three have a lot of time on them, and are sounding fantastic for me.... Some poke fun at the 'Seagull' until they hear it, and then they want one....! Ha. Sounds (to me) like a cross between a Taylor, and a Martin. Not to boomy, and not to light or tiny. Somewhere in the middle of it all and especially running Phosphorous bronze D’Addario lights....

I have played drums since kindergarten, but kinda hard to carry a drum set around, ha. So I took up 'the Acoustic' way back, to use at the prison and jails, and also at Church where I minister...

Hows Miss DM & Mr. Money?

Thanks again....
Stay safe.

I'll call ya when I am as good as RH... HA.

CanyonMan
🐴

·
Registered
9,337 Posts
Threads like this make me sad I'm a lefty.

It's not as bad for new instruments these days, but the used and vintage market is still pretty closed to me.

·
Friends Call Me "Flash"
4,433 Posts
I bought two Fender guitars and I'm very impressed with the low end guitar quality. Price was great and quality was very good! Unfortunately, my hands and fingers are so large that my chance of my playing either guitar was just not gonna happen! I gave one of the guitars to a friend who knew how to play it and I keep the other just to look at it.

Flash

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I have Gibsons. Like them a lot for what they are. Except they never frickin' stay in tune. I also like a lot of ther brands for what they are. Guitars made in South Korea are the bomb man. For what they are, and for the price you pay. Like this one I recently got. A Chapman ML-2 pro:
*Stainless Steel Frets
*Coil tappng/split
*Glow in the Dark Fret markers
*a medium 25" scale neck.
*Compound radiused neck 12-16" (I think)
*True neck through construction
*awesome scalopped neck/body area
*open/locking turners
*Graph tech (fake bone) nut
*Mahogany body with a thick Maple top.

Bought it as a factory 2nd (although I can't find anything wrong with it) for about $1050.00.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
I bought two Fender guitars and I'm very impressed with the low end guitar quality. Price was great and quality was very good! Unfortunately, my hands and fingers are so large that my chance of my playing either guitar was just not gonna happen! I gave one of the guitars to a friend who knew how to play it and I keep the other just to look at it.

Flash
You're kidding, right? My right hand's ring finger is a size 21. The left is about a 20. They stop the ring scale at 16. I am not a great player but I can still play. Hand and finger size is just an excuse. Now, go grab that guitar and turn to. I can recommend a great teacher too if you want.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have played guitar for 55 years and have a gig tonight and tomorrow night. As to electric guitar preference, I have played my Carvin since 1986.
Nice! Carvin made some excellent instruments. I still have a Carvin bass that I gigged with for about 10 years in the 90's.

·
USMC "The Few The Proud"
11,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Jimi Hendrix found a way. ;)
Well you sure got that right, especially inch he grew up dirt poor with lame parents. He joined the Army so he would make money and be part of a family. That changed when he broke his ankle in a jump while with the 101st Airborne and that was that. He a genius kinda like a Mozart or Beethoven. He was also a fantastic entertainer. He's number one in my book both in blues and in rock.

101 - 120 of 123 Posts