GlockTalk Forum banner

Which guitar do you like better and why?

• Fender

• Gibson

• Other. Please elaborate.

81 - 100 of 123 Posts

·
NRA Life Member
64,856 Posts
I’m running standard Ernie Ball tens on it, which is the gauge it came with. I think I need to adjust the intonation, frankly.
Man, when it’s dialed in, it sounds incredible. But it’s like my wife: I’m never quite sure from night to night what mood it’s gonna be in. LOL
I also use the Ernie Ball 10's, except on my Les Paul. It cam with Gibson Brite Wire 10s and it sounds so good I'm sticking with those. I wouldn't think 10's would be a problem.

·
NRA Life Member
64,856 Posts
Wow, what a great collection of guitars. Thanks for all the knowledge you have brought to this thread, this is a great example of why I started the thread. In the end it's not really about which company wins the poll, it's about information and pictures is a great bonus, thanks.
I always like looking at and sharing some guitars. Here are a few more. Some of the cool ones I don't have pictures of anymore, due to a hard drive crash years ago, were my Mosrite Johnny Ramone, a Confederate Falg 1984 GIbson Les Paul Studio that looked exactly like and probably was one of the guitars BIlly Idol and Steve Stevens used on the Rebel Yell tour, and a 1962 Martin F-55 hollowbody with a "Martin" Bigsby tremolo.

Here are some I do still have.

Rickenbacker 330 6 and 12 strings:

Some ovation solidbodies

Parker Nightfly

I did find that Mosrite Johnny Ramone after all:

A Les Paul Studio Lite - one of the greatest underappreciated Les Pauls:

And some of my wife's basses:

·
NRA Life Member
64,856 Posts
No more so than any electric brand. You also know as an attorney that you're heavily prejudicing the comment my narrowing it to solid bodies. It still doesn't carry water though. The SG is much thinner than others. Add to that, P90 pickups, mini-humbuckers, bolt-on necks, neck-throughs, set-necks, etc.

Now, when you get to archtops you have different depths, different construction techniques of the tops, ply, carved etc. Plus, different scale lengths (Byrdland) etc. I can make the argument they are more diverse in nature than Fenders.
I agree that the wood in the body makes a difference, but the "sameness" of nearly all Gibson solid bodies having the same 2 humbuckers, tune-o-matic, stop tailpiece, etc. is hard to overlook.

Also, one more Gibson picture. This isn't my picture, but if this isn't the exact same Les Paul I bought and sold years ago, it is identical.

I sold mine to Jon Schaffer, the guitarist from the metal band Iced Earth in the early to mid 2000s.

·
woo woo
30,687 Posts
I thought Page only used a Tele on Led Zeppelin I and the Stairway solo? And most everything else was a LP?
The first and better part of their second album, it also shows up on other songs on later albums like 'All of my Love' and 'Ten years Gone'....people associate JP with the Les Paul's, but in the studio a lot of their stuff had telecaster. He also used a strat and Danelectro, b bender tele....

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Played pedal steel for years in many different country bands including a US Navy country band. There is no substitute for a Fender Telecaster. Watch some You Tubes of Albert Lee and Danny Gatton.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Dang all my mom warned me about was staying out of the shower when it was lightning out, now I can't play guitar?

I'll have to use this next time it's thundering. I love this little guy, I pick for hours working on scale and chord changes watching TV with Lady Gonzoso, doesn't even bother her at all.
View attachment 908938
I’ve got one of those. Great little pocket amp.

·
Premium Member
2,063 Posts
I had a Telecaster but I was offered more than I thought it was worth so I sold it as I needed the money. I thought it was great while standing, but resting on my leg while sitting soon became uncomfortable for me. The Stratocaster is scalloped on the back of the body and more user friendly, again for me. I also prefer ones with the slanted single pickup. Humbuckers are great but I like the trashier sound of single pickups

If a Gibson I would seek a SG as the body is more comfortable

·
NRA Life Member
64,856 Posts
I had a Telecaster but I was offered more than I thought it was worth so I sold it as I needed the money. I thought it was great while standing, but resting on my leg while sitting soon became uncomfortable for me. The Stratocaster is scalloped on the back of the body and more user friendly, again for me. I also prefer ones with the slanted single pickup. Humbuckers are great but I like the trashier sound of single pickups

My first Gibson was an SG Standard, but I have always found the SGs to be neck heavy and that strap button on the back always feels wrong. The most comfortable playing Gibson I ever had was an Explorer.

Reactions: cyberghostx13

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
I agree that the wood in the body makes a difference, but the "sameness" of nearly all Gibson solid bodies having the same 2 humbuckers, tune-o-matic, stop tailpiece, etc. is hard to overlook.

Also, one more Gibson picture. This isn't my picture, but if this isn't the exact same Les Paul I bought and sold years ago, it is identical.
View attachment 908968

I sold mine to Jon Schaffer, the guitarist from the metal band Iced Earth in the early to mid 2000s.
I see that sameness more in the Fender line.

·
NRA Life Member
64,856 Posts
I see that sameness more in the Fender line.
I disagree - Just between the Stratocaster and the Telecaster you have entirely different pickups, different number of pickups, and fixed bridge vs. tremolo, then you've got the Jaguar, Jazzmaster, Bass VI (if you consider it a guitar, rather than a bass), etc.

Reactions: Lockback

·
17,873 Posts
No pics but my favorite is my PRS Mccarty.

I never gave them a second look until I saw a used one and sat down with it. It's just kinda melted into me and I knew I was buying it before I even played it.

Paul Reed Smith even autographed it for the previous owner, who I think managed one of. the Guitar Centers in CT.
PRS is what Carlos Santana plays. He used to play Les Pauls and SG's and in the mid 70's Yamaha agreed to build a guitar for him to his specs.One of his requirements was a 24 fret two octave neck. The first prototype he tried he asked them to make the body heavier for better sustain and make some other changes. The final guitar they ended up making was the Yamaha SG-2000 which he used from 1976 to 1982 when he switched to Paul Reed Smith Guitars.

A friend of mine who I went to high school with had a tour bus business in Nashville from the late seventies until just a couple of years ago and rented tour buses to a lot of rock bands but not very many county musicians because they liked to have their own buses. Two people who he rented buses to were Carlos Santana and BB King and he got to know both of them very well and said that they were the two nicest people he had ever met. BB even gave my friend one of his guitars and I got to see it and lay hands upon it the last time I visited my friend in Nashville. I didn't play it because the strings were all kept loose while in storage so that it wouldn't warp the neck.

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
I disagree - Just between the Stratocaster and the Telecaster you have entirely different pickups, different number of pickups, and fixed bridge vs. tremolo, then you've got the Jaguar, Jazzmaster, Bass VI (if you consider it a guitar, rather than a bass), etc.
I thought you’d disagree....which is fine. In the last 25 years though, I’ve been deposed on intellectual property for guitars. Most around trade-dress and trade marks. The courts agree with me.

I’ve been sent cease and desists and suits too.

l
Lastly, Gibson has had wraparound tailpieces, trapeze tailpieces etc.

I’m out on this thread.....too much like work.

·
Registered
7,009 Posts
I voted Gibson but I assumed you’re referring mainly to the Les Paul and Stratocaster. Having played both quite a bit (and the SG), the Les Paul is definitely for me. I don’t have any Gibsons though. They’re all Epis.
The Gibsons are so pricey and mostly gorgeous but from what I've seen they can be a bit hit or miss on quality control even with American made.

I like that Fender has the in between MIM fenders that are reasonable. The MIM Fenders are really good quality for the money. The MIA have some nicer qualities too like nut width, and finish but for strict playability and component quality the MIM starting at $600-700 are about all one needs to play.

Reactions: Berto

·
Registered
7,009 Posts

I love my telecaster but the strat has it beat for comfort by a mile in any position. It's cool and nice to have and play but I mostly reach for the strat.

Reactions: Inyo Tim

·
USMC "The Few The Proud"
11,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Well as I said, I never owned or played guitar but I did go to high school with Rick Neilson(Lead Guitar) and Tom Peterson(Bass) of Cheap Trick. I moved to California in 1978 first in Burlingame. In the summer 0f 1979 Cheap Trick played at one of Bill Graham's "Day On The Green at the Oakland Stadium. It was an all day concert starting at 10:00am and included Molly Hatchet, Cheap Trick, Blue Oyster Cult, AC/DC, Journey, and Ted Nugget headlined the event.

I went to the back of the Stadium and got the attention of one of Cheap Trick's "Roadies" and proved that I knew Rick and Tom and he let me in, then I was backstage a very huge area not just the back of the stage. Each group had their own trailer and I was invited in as Cheap Trick had finished as one of the earlier acts. They had lots of imported beer on ice and I drank a few Heinekins. Outside there was a whole bunch of free food including grilled burgers so I chowed down. There was also more beer on ice. I met some of the members of Blue Oyster Cult first and even hung out with their drummer for a bit. I also met all the members of AC/DC and they were very nice.

I went walking around the perimeter with Tom Peterson a fence/barrier between us and the fans and they screaming at Tom. Went back to the food and beer area and drank way, way too much. I ended up getting a ride home from one of the "Roadies" of Journey, thank God as I was pretty smashed. It was one of the best days of my life.

Rick Neilson's father owned a music store on 7th Street in Rockford, Illinois and Rick began collecting guitars very early, here are some images of that collection.

Well that's all folks, later.

·
woo woo
30,687 Posts
Well as I said, I never owned or played guitar but I did go to high school with Rick Neilson(Lead Guitar) and Tom Peterson(Bass) of Cheap Trick. I moved to California in 1978 first in Burlingame. In the summer 0f 1979 Cheap Trick played at one of Bill Graham's "Day On The Green at the Oakland Stadium. It was an all day concert starting at 10:00am and included Molly Hatchet, Cheap Trick, Blue Oyster Cult, AC/DC, Journey, and Ted Nugget headlined the event.

I went to the back of the Stadium and got the attention of one of Cheap Trick's "Roadies" and proved that I knew Rick and Tom and he let me in, then I was backstage a very huge area not just the back of the stage. Each group had their own trailer and I was invited in as Cheap Trick had finished as one of the earlier acts. They had lots of imported beer on ice and I drank a few Heinekins. Outside there was a whole bunch of free food including grilled burgers so I chowed down. There was also more beer on ice. I met some of the members of Blue Oyster Cult first and even hung out with their drummer for a bit. I also met all the members of AC/DC and they were very nice.

I went walking around the perimeter with Tom Peterson a fence/barrier between us and the fans and they screaming at Tom. Went back to the food and beer area and drank way, way too much. I ended up getting a ride home from one of the "Roadies" of Journey, thank God as I was pretty smashed. It was one of the best days of my life.

Rick Neilson's father owned a music store on 7th Street in Rockford, Illinois and Rick began collecting guitars very early, here are some images of that collection.

Rick appeared on American Pickers, seemed like a very down to earth guy.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
The Gibsons are so pricey and mostly gorgeous but from what I've seen they can be a bit hit or miss on quality control even with American made.

I like that Fender has the in between MIM fenders that are reasonable. The MIM Fenders are really good quality for the money. The MIA have some nicer qualities too like nut width, and finish but for strict playability and component quality the MIM starting at $600-700 are about all one needs to play.
My first guitar was a beautiful MIM Strat made around 2004 if I remember right. I bought it used with a case for about $350. It was a great guitar but after playing many styles I decided I didn't care for it as much and sold it years later for $425.

·
Registered
8,229 Posts

Here’s me and Rick two years ago

81 - 100 of 123 Posts