GlockTalk Forum banner

Which guitar do you like better and why?

• Fender

• Gibson

• Other. Please elaborate.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
USMC "The Few The Proud"
11,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I love guitars especially lead guitar but I never have played them. Still I am curious what people think about these two giants and which do they prefer and why. I also will have an option in the poll for "Others" so people can opine on other favorites. This poll/discussion is for fun and enlightenment, especially for people like me that doesn't know dilly about the actual guitars just the performers. For those who choose "Other" please enlighten on that choice, thanks. Oh ya, pictures would be a big plus gives some of you guitar players a chance to show your guitars. Later.

Reactions: CanyonMan

·
USMC "The Few The Proud"
11,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well since I don't play a guitar I choose based on performer and performance and that would be Jimi Hendrix and his famous Fender Stratocaster. "Are You Experienced"? Well no, not it when it comes to owning and playing a guitar but I damn sure love a great lead.

Reactions: CanyonMan

·
USMC "The Few The Proud"
11,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you don't play Gibson and Marshall you're a wanker.
Well as I stated I don't play or own a guitar but I do own a very nice Marshall portable bluetooth speaker and it most definitely kicks a**!!! Showering never sounded so good.

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
I'm a Gibson guy.

Easier to play w/ shorter scale length and flatter frets, no nasty hum and the fretboard radius is more comfortable for soloing.

I do hate the headstock design though. Lots of tuning stability issues and prone to breaking. Fender beat them on that one by a mile. I would love an old Les Paul with a PRS headstock.

·
NRA4EVR
11,573 Posts
I like the Fender sound, especially a Telecaster, to Gibson. Single-coil pickups are bright and clear, while humbuckers are a little muddy.

I’ve never played a Gibson, though. My preference is for a fat neck and smaller radius, so an early 50s Tele would be great - except for the cost.

·
Polymerlicious!
6,048 Posts
I love the sound of a Gibson Les Paul through a Marshall amp, those humbuckers cookin', pumping out some heavy Jimmy Page/early Eric Clapton rock. I own a Les Paul and love it ... except for the aforementioned tuning issues. A buddy of mine was in a band and I went to see them play and their lead guitarist sounded sour all night long (I have a good ear for perfect tune). Yep, it was a Les Paul. The split tuner design on the headstock, 3 to a side, puts some of the strings at an angle that makes it difficult to stay in tune.
Eventually, I decided to add a Telecaster to my little arsenal, in addition to my Strat copy, which I really like. When I picked up the Tele, it was like angel wings buzzed in my ears and made me grin. I'll always love my Les Paul, certainly for heavier songs. But the Tele is now my favorite; the sound, the feel, the look, the simplicity. I like the fact that Leo Fender designed and built guitars more for the working man: simple assembly, bolt on neck, whereas Gibsons are more elegant but more expensive.
Both are great and have their place but I'm in the Fender camp now.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
A woman is accused of beating her husband half to death with his guitar collection.

The judge looks down at her and asks, "First offender?"
The woman replies, "Nope, first a Gibson, then a Fender."

·
Registered
735 Posts
You can get a lot more for your money by avoiding Gibson. Fender as well.

I have a Squier classic vibe butterscotch blonde that is quite good. Way better of a player than a fender for twice as much.

I also have an ltd that is a great player and it is half the cost of a gibson.

It depends on the type of guitar you are wanting before any real recommendations could be made.

Super strat? Single cut?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Depends what you want to play. Clean, blues, country, Strat or Tele. Metal, Les Paul or SG. Classic rock, pick either. I personally prefer the longer scale and lighter weight of a Strat over a Les Paul, having owned both. My current fav electric is my 2015 American Standard HSS Strat. Adding a humbucker to the single coils really makes it versatile. Now, if only they made a Velvet Hammer to fit it...

Bottom line: It’s the Indian, not the arrow. Both are great guitars.

·
M62/76
12,258 Posts
I don’t play guitar much, but I LOVE a Rickenbacker 330 fireglo.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I went with PRS. I played a Les Paul standard for years and it's a great guitar but the prices these days are insane and quality is hit and miss. I also have a Fender strat and it's also great, just different. The neck/middle pickup position is THE clean strat sound and I don't think any other guitar can sound like that. The more affordable ones are very hit and miss on quality as well, though.

The PRS Custom 24 I got after the gigging years is the best guitar I've ever played. I think he invented the perfect guitar. The one I got was very expensive but the SE versions are very nice. You can get a PRS SE Custom 24 for less than $800 and you won't regret it.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I know zero about guitars, but I do know Jimmy Page’s number 1 guitar was a 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard with a Sunburst finish, if it’s good enough for Jimmy.....I heard they’re giving these away now!

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
I have a Squier Stratocaster with Fender Tex Mex pickups in it. I am told that it plays well and sounds great by others... I only know a few chords, so I have to take their word for it.

I also have an Ibazez guitar from the 80's with a single humbucker. I guess I would call it Strat like.

I have a First Act Les Paul-ish guitar that I enjoy. I bought it as a wall hanger for cheap, but went ahead and set it up and am happy with it.

Hopefully when I finish up with school, I can spend some more time with my guitars and learn to play them.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Well I love guitars especially lead guitar but I never have played them. Still I am curious what people think about these two giants and which do they prefer and why. I also will have an option in the poll for "Others" so people can opine on other favorites. This poll/discussion is for fun and enlightenment, especially for people like me that doesn't know dilly about the actual guitars just the performers. For those who choose "Other" please enlighten on that choice, thanks. Oh ya, pictures would be a big plus gives some of you guitar players a chance to show your guitars. Later.
I would consider built to your liking. Factory direct,no huge music store markups. Best bang for your buck, quality is exceptional
www.kieselguitars.com

1 - 20 of 123 Posts