Glock Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone notice that the captured stock guiderod is the EXACT same in the Glock 38 as it is on the 19/19c?

Even the part # matches on the guiderod. So I was thinking, why not take the SS guiderod out of my glock 19c and try it in the Glock 38.

Anyone do this before? :supergrin:

·
Banned
4,622 Posts
IMO fooling around with guide rods and/or rod springs on a Glock is THE worst thing you can do. Good way to turn it into a jamamatic. I for one do not believe for a second that I am smarter than the engineers at Glock who use complicated logarithms to calculate slide mass ratios coupled with slide retardation per enertia. The timing on any automatic pistol is critical. Just my two cents.

·
Super Moderator
20,478 Posts
The G19. G23, G32, G38 all share the same guide rod. Not need to replace with steel. If you are prone to damaging a polymer rod by incorrect reassembly, then you will be prone to frame damage by incorrect steel rod reassembly. All the guide rod does is guide the spring and make reinstalling the spring easier. A Glock will function all ay long with a broken guide rod, but in nearly 13 years and well over 100,000 rounds of Glocking I've never broken one.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wasn't talking about breaking one, I was talking about putting a SS one to replace the stock one.

Since they are all the same it wouldn't hurt anything, and might actually help with the added weight overall. I'll try it monday at the range.

·
NRA Member
2,412 Posts
There are only two reasons I'd consider replacing the guide rod in a Glock.

First, to install a heavy one to reduce muzzle flip. The G39, for example, could use some taming in this regard.

Second, to install a laser.

I'm not sure either reason is worth the hassle.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Further testing done today.

Used :
Speer Lawman 185gr TMJ ammo
Speer GoldDot 200gr GDHP
Federal HST 230gr
Federal Hydro Shock 185gr
Winchester Ranger SXT 230gr

On ALL of them the recoil with the STOCK captured plastic recoil-rod was less than with the Stainless Steel Recoil Rod and non captured spring.

I'm keeping the original captured recoil rod in the Glock 38.

On an accuracy note, The most accurate was Federal HST, then Win Ranger SXT, then Speer GoldDot and then the Federal Hydroshocks and the Speer Lawman TMJ's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.