guided hunts

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by RWBlue, Jun 10, 2007.

1. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

Talk to me about hiring a guide and hunting in another state or country. I have the urge to hunt something different.

Moose, elk, antilope,
    or maybe
    African animals
    or maybe something with TEATH like a mountain lion.

Then again, I probably can't afford any of the above, but we can talk about it.

2. Travispitt

Travispitt

well are group packs in and my hunting buddy and I were into big bulls every day. one of the guys in the group asked if I would let him tag along with us... I told him $100 for a morning or evening hunt. he wasn't too happy about that. but after both me and my partner got our elk I think he was concidering it

3. 357glocker

357glocker

I think a guide is worth the money in certain cases. If you are hunting a new species, in new territory it will greatly increase the chance of a successful hunt in terms of saving time, money and bagging game. I will only pay for a hunt that the guide takes me to wild game. I don't consider going to Joe's Ranch and him taking me out to the herd of buffalo hunting. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with somebody doing that, it's just not worth my money.
    When I eventually go on my elk hunt, I will hire a guide. I am not familiar with the land in Colorado and the National forests or private land, I don't really know the habits and patterns of the elk in the area and I don't have the time to go 600miles to scout it out enough to be successful.
    I have hired a guide before to show me the ropes of bowfishing for paddlefish. It is money well spent. He knows the river and the holes that hold the fish. I don't have to tow my boat a few hundred miles (gas money), I don't have put wear and tear on my boat from running into shallows and sandbars ($$repairs$$) and he has a very high tag out rate.
    Be sure to try and get some references if you are going to be paying big bucks for a guide to ensure you are getting what you want.
    I think alot of people question the reasoning behind guides because they are all about doing it yourself. I know a lot of people pay big money for guided pheasant hunts! I'm from Nebraska, I would NEVER pay for a pheasant hunt, but I could see somebody from say....Florida paying for one. Just as that same person from Florida would never pay a guide to hunt hogs, I would!

4. vafish

vafish

Big +1 on that. Just choosing a guide at random out of the back of a magazine can be a disaster.

There was a post around here a couple years ago about a guy that found a guide at random for an elk hunt. It ended up being a canned hunt in a fenced enclosure, you know drive out to a 100 acre fenced paddock at 10:00 after a big breakfast, pick out which elk you want to shoot, and be back at the lodge sipping a cold drink by lunch time. Like .357 Glocker says I'm not against that type of hunt, but it's not what I want to pay money for.

I've paid guides for trout fishing and hog hunts, it was well worth it because I didn't know the area or the animals.

5. RWBlue

RWBlue Mr. CISSP, CISA CLM

With the exception of bison, I will not pay for a caged hunt.

Bison is an exception because, well they are likeshooting cow, even when wild, so....

Is there a good place to get a list of guides for a perticular species state? I mean is there an org. thatonly accepts valid hunting guides?