close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Guide rods and springs

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Celtic Pride, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Celtic Pride

Celtic Pride

I have decide to replace my factory rods with Wolff stainless rods and springs. The factory weight springs for my 20,21,29 and 35 are 17 lbs from what I am told. Has anyone had any problems with using a heavier 19 pound spring with moderate to warm factory loads? I also have a 27 that I would like to bump up to a 18 lbs spring, again using factory loads and sometimes using a 357sig barrel. Thanks for the input.

2. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

Hate to see ya sitting here all alone amigo.. I have used the wolff rod and 20/22# springs in my G20/21/29 for a very long time and never had ONE problem of any kind with cabillions of rounds.

I like them a great deal, but my favorite are the ISMI springs. They are flat wound like the glock, and I still run them in the same G20/21 at 20/22#'s with an Areo-tek steel rod which is what ISMI encouraged me to use with their springs.

Wolff said to me. "wolff rod with wolff springs, is what david the owner told me waaaay back years ago.

But with the ISMI springs, they reccommended the Areo-Tek rod. I use both and have NEVER had one issue of any kind with any Glock I own....

Good luck.

CM

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012

3. Beretta92guy

Beretta92guy

I have used wolff guide rods/springs in every one of my glocks, berettas, MP's, Sigs for years without one problem... LOVE their product....i have only used factory weight springs for all loads, so i cant comment on the higher weight springs

4. Bruce M

Bruce M

Out of curiosity have your original springs caused weakness related issues or is there another result hyou are seeking?

5. Celtic Pride

Celtic Pride

My initial concern started with my 29 guide rod. It looks very weak. I have also read about people having problems with factory rod/springs in there 27's. I then began looking at the stainless rods and springs for my 20, 21, and 35. It seems to me that if 17lbs is standard for the 21, it should maybe be a little light for the 20, which also uses a factory 17 lbs spring. To me there is a substantial difference in standard 230 gr. 45acp and 175 gr. 10mm silvertips. And they use the same spring weight :dunno:?

My logic (if you want to call it that) is that if I increase spring weight slightly, the slide will be slowed and cause less wear on the guns

How can the G26 and the G33 use the same guide rod / spring assembly, and not cause more wear on the G33 which is obviously a hotter round. Again, do you think increasing spring weight by 2 pounds in my 27 would be a problem?

6. Bruce M

Bruce M

My guess, and it is merely a guess, is that with loads at the higher end of the spectrum, a two pound increase in the spring will function fine. Also I think part of the reason for the same spring in different Glocks has to do with varying weights of the slides.

7. R.T.

R.T.

You are correct sir!

8. mikekj

mikekj

Sounds like you are trying to re-invent the wheel.

Would not the engineers at Glock taken all those factors into consideration during the design and test phase.

Don't get caught up in all the marketing hype. They just want your money. they are there to SELL stuff.

9. tacops5372

tacops5372

Years ago I tried the aero tek guide rods and springs and never really had an issue in my weapon. But after years of owning several glocks and still not seeing any failures with the oem springs. I stopped looking at all the different ones out there. IMO "If it's not broke, dont fix it." If the guide rod starts to show some wear, buy another OEM guide rod for alot cheaper than the aftermarkets...

10. whitebread

whitebread ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I would only go to a heavier spring if your gun is unlocking too early. I have only encountered this with hot 10mm loads.

11. Bruce M

Bruce M

Thank you, sir. I think I read that here somewhere. Or maybe they said it in the armorer's school.

12. Celtic Pride

Celtic Pride

Thanks for the input guys. I will stay with the stock spring weight.

13. Paul53

Paul53 Authorized SKYNET Distributor.

Answered most of my questions too. Thanks! Been considering getting a ssrod and spring assembly because I take the one out of my 23 and can bend it slightly with bare hands. Considering the energy involved in a .40 s&w round, I can't stop thinking there must be some give in the RSA that affects accuracy. A SS RSA wouldn't have that.

Then logic sets in, the gun is still more accurate than I, and broken RSA's seem rare, so keeping one around for maybe years, just in case, seems futile.

Sent through brainwaves reflected off my tin foil helmet.