close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Guide rod

Discussion in 'Okie Memorial Area' started by okie, Aug 7, 2004.

1. okie

okie GT Mayor

My new Colt does not have a one piece guide rod. Would it be beneficial for me to get one^8

2. CCV

CCV Millennium Member

I doubt it.

3. Guy Powell

Guy Powell Guest

I've got a Government Model 380, actually have two of them, and the worst thing about this otherwise nice pistol is the %$#$%& (and then some more&%$#!!!)recoil sring and cap. IS there anywhere one can still buy a one piece metal rod and spring? The only mfg. I know of, McDougals, doesn't make them any more and Brownells is out of stock.
    HELP!!!

4. rubijeep

rubijeep

my springfield had a two piece full length guide rod in it and i took it out in favor of the standard gi plug and short rod, as my colt commander is. i like being able to disassemble my gun completely without extra tools. i dont notice any difference by changing to the standard plug. the only thing is that now im shooting groups under 2 inches and i wasnt with the full length, but thats probably due to the fact that i reload my own ammuntion and before i used magtech and winchester. oh yeah its quicker to take down when you eliminate the step of using the allen wrench to take apart the front part of the guide rod

5. BillK@tcmhmrs.o

BillK@tcmhmrs.o

Okie, this is a big debate in 1911 world. Lots of folks who shoot competition and bullseye like these things as they believe it makes for tighter groups. The aftermarket makers make good coin on selling these along with recoil buffers. I don't have one because it makes the gun a little bit less original. My gun shoots accurately enough and it didn't make snse to me to 'fix' something that ain't broke!

6. okie

okie GT Mayor

I shoot decent without a one piece so I may just leave it the hell alone.;a ;a ;a ;a ;a ;a ;a ;a

7. Silver Fox

Silver Fox

I recently purchased the above parts for my Colt Pony Pocketlite from:

Cylinder & Slide, Inc.
    245 E. 4th St.
    Fremont, NE 68025

Price for both totaled $44.89

Part# SM790108100 MUSTANG S/S GUIDE ROD
    Part# 42812 12# XP RCL SPG-COLT MUSTANG/PONY

8. SmartOne

SmartOne GoingIn CoverMe

;P Well, I guess it’s true confession time. I have full-length guide rods in all of my semi-auto pistols. Are they an advantage; well, some people would say; ‘No!’ My personal experience has been that they seem to improve reliability and smooth the pistol out between shots.

Do they prevent, ‘spring kink’? A lot of people don’t think so. I’m, also, aware that Charlie Petty and Dean Speir don’t recommend them; and these guys, usually, know what they’re talking about. Still, some of the best pistolsmiths in North America have seen fit to install them in my pistols; and, after many years and many thousands of rounds, I’ve never had a problem.

The real question is; ‘If I had it to do over, again, would I do it?’ On the Glocks the answer is easy: I’d switch to Wolff Gunsprings all steel guide rods in a heartbeat. Full length guide rods would, also, go into my Browning P-35’s. As for the Colt 1911’s, well, probably not. The only unresolved question I have in mind is, ‘What’ happens to the frame with 22# springs and hot hard ball ammo? Here, there might be an advantage to a full length rod and recoil buffer. The well-known gunsmiths who built my IPSC pistols, apparently, thought so; and, as I've said, in 20 some odd years of use I've never personally had a problem. ;)

9. Guy Powell

Guy Powell Guest

As for me I'm just tired of battling with this darned foot long wiggling spring that shoots me, or the wall, or the dog, or all of us, whenever I put it back in. Guess I just don't know the correct curse words!

10. Jim Watson

Jim Watson

Smart One,

Does your BHP have an opening for a FLGR to protrude through when the slide recoils? Mine doesn't.

My FLG likes FLGRs and puts them in my match guns, but I keep them out of my carry guns except a couple of oddballs.

11. M2HB

M2HB

I have heard it said that they are smoother and make the springs last longer, however I have never changed one out on my pistols, nor do I plan on it. I also suppose that it depends on what you are using the gun for, competition or self defense. For self defense I would keep it the way JMB intended it.

12. rubijeep

rubijeep

with a 2 piece flgr you still have to fight the spring and plug in and twist the bushing over it, then you have to insert the rest of the rod through the end of the plug and tighten it. i could have achieved the same effect by just not putting the rest of the rod in, it wouldnt hurt anything, just ugly with a big hole in the end of the plug, that open plug is sharp when you push it in. like i said, i didnt really notice any difference in smoothness or quickness in follow up shots and i shoot better groups without the flgr, but i think thats just due to ammo and practice, nothing to do with the flgr imho. just a matter of opinion on whichever you want, theyre not too expensive and there's no fitting involved so if i were you id try both and see which i like better

13. okie

okie GT Mayor

Mine is gonna be daily carry and target shootin;) :cool:

14. rubijeep

rubijeep

when carrying its best to prepare for the worst. with a standard plug you can disassemble the pistol using only its own parts in case you have to. i feel the same way about hex head grip screws. you can take flat head screws out with the rim of the case.

15. SmartOne

SmartOne GoingIn CoverMe

:) Hi, Jim! Well, I see you've been paying attention. Good question, too. You've hit on a painful subject for me. About 4 years ago I gave a competent local gunsmith a pair of already highly customized P-35's to install FLGR's in. One of them he bored through the front of the slide correctly on; the second one he gave to his shop apprentice in order to allow him to practice perfecting his craft. This kid bored the second hole slightly off-center and ruined a beautiful custom-built slide on me! (The day I picked the guns up I could have shot him; and you should have heard the BS story these two Pocono, 'gunsmiths' tried to hand me!)

Well, I recently sold that second gun for a, 'give-a-way' price; however, the first one is about as nice and totally reliable a BHP as you'd ever want to use or carry. All of which reminds me of why I like Glocks so much: Absolutely no need for an FLG! Even a highly desirable upgrade like a Bar-Sto barrel, just, pops right in with minimal stoning!

16. GlockShmock

GlockShmock

What's wrong with the original guide rod in the P35? Mine has never been an issue since it has never malfunctioned and I never heard of anyone trying to bore a hole to fit a FLGR.

17. G. Gunman

G. Gunman Draw Varmint!

:) Two things! It's really hard to get that FLGR to function correctly without the hole in the slide face; and a few crazy gunsmiths seem to think that in addition to peening the slide rails, tightening up the barrel lug, and fitting a barrel bushing, the FLGR also contributes to improved accuracy. And this doesn't even begin to take into account the, $4 - $500.00 cost of the conversion. Sure beats hanging around your shop doing nothing and watching CNN all day! ;f

18. GlockShmock

GlockShmock

LOL....I guess it is human nature to tinker with the things we love (being a hobby and allt that)...but no one is drilling a hole in my Belgium beauty...even for free....;)