Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
getcha suma dat
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did this seriously just happen. Ok, i have a g4 17, and in the past iv had a lot of luck with SS guide rod's in my guns. I just replace it because i like the quality of the parts. I just received a LWD SS guide rod with spring all ready enclosed on it and a G4 adapter. I'v never used the adapter before and thought it just slid right in but apparently you have to remove the screw on the guide rod and place the adapter on the rod and then put the screw back on. So i spent about a half hour trying to find an allen key that will take this screw off then i try to actually figure out how to get enough leverage to unscrew the darn thing because the spring just wanted to spin in my hand. I ended up pushing the spring down enough, to pinch the rod with my fingers and unscrew it.

I'm doing this while sitting on the carpet in the middle of the living room and I was sort of having a tough time and getting frustrated so i started getting sloppy. I finally got the screw to come off, i have the spring face down in the carpet when my fingers slip. The SS guide rod was immediately ejected out and an instant later i hear smash. It became apparent that the kamikaze guide rod had just took entry though a pane of glass in the middle of my china cabinet. All i could do was sit there for a second stunned. It's kind of funny because my initial reaction was, I hope i didn't break my new part in half. But rest assured it's ok.

My fingers are a little sore from wrestling with this thing but i got it all set up and it looks good. The assembly fits nice and snug in there. Slide comes back nice and smooth. Don't really have any doubts that it will perform well.

Lesson learned from this story is i'll probably wear a hockey mask next time i'm messing with spring assemblies.

·
Sometimes grumpy, not old
1,167 Posts
These things happen when you mess with the stock guide rod.

LESSON: Leave it alone.

·
getcha suma dat
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'm sorry, but the majority of fun i have from firearms other then shooting is just working on them, buying new parts for them, testing, trial and error. In the case of my ccw and home defense guns, i whole heartedly agree, i keep them completely stock because i believe in Glock's abilities to make a pistol that will always work.

BUT... i buy extra guns, just to work on and have fun. I don't mind if i break something or screw something up. It's part of the enjoyment. I have a set of pistols designated for a specific purpose that i know i can't count on should the time arise.

...and trust me, leaving the gun alone wasn't the lesson learned.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Did this seriously just happen. Ok, i have a g4 17, and in the past iv had a lot of luck with SS guide rod's in my guns. I just replace it because i like the quality of the parts. I just received a LWD SS guide rod with spring all ready enclosed on it and a G4 adapter. I'v never used the adapter before and thought it just slid right in but apparently you have to remove the screw on the guide rod and place the adapter on the rod and then put the screw back on. So i spent about a half hour trying to find an allen key that will take this screw off then i try to actually figure out how to get enough leverage to unscrew the darn thing because the spring just wanted to spin in my hand. I ended up pushing the spring down enough, to pinch the rod with my fingers and unscrew it.

I'm doing this while sitting on the carpet in the middle of the living room and I was sort of having a tough time and getting frustrated so i started getting sloppy. I finally got the screw to come off, i have the spring face down in the carpet when my fingers slip. The SS guide rod was immediately ejected out and an instant later i hear smash. It became apparent that the kamikaze guide rod had just took entry though a pane of glass in the middle of my china cabinet. All i could do was sit there for a second stunned. It's kind of funny because my initial reaction was, I hope i didn't break my new part in half. But rest assured it's ok.

My fingers are a little sore from wrestling with this thing but i got it all set up and it looks good. The assembly fits nice and snug in there. Slide comes back nice and smooth. Don't really have any doubts that it will perform well.

Lesson learned from this story is i'll probably wear a hockey mask next time i'm messing with spring assemblies.
I feel your pain. Today I was simply trying to replace the Glock stock floorplate on a 10-rd G26 mag, so I could install a Pearce +3 extension. I worked on it for almost an hour, and NEVER COULD GET THE ORIGINAL FLOORPLATE OFF OF THE G**DAMN MAGAZINE BODY! I think I even might have boogered the little tittie that sticks through the hole in the floorplate, so for all I know the mag might be toast. I have two, and I left the other one alone.

My irrefutable ineptitude at this kind of thing is renowned world-wide. I've ordered some extended slide release levers from Midway, which should arrive tomorrow, but I'm almost afraid to try to install them myself. THE KING OF KLUTZ AM I....................

Hope your luck is better than my luck.
AK

·
Registered
704 Posts
I put Pearce PG2733 magazine extensions (+2 but practically only +1 in 9mm) and had the same issue. There are two tricks to getting the factory baseplate off for the first time.

Trick #1: You have to use a punch long enough to not just push the button up, but you need to flip the entire inner plate vertical in the magazine. This usually requires the use of the Glock tool or a long slender screwdriver.

Trick #2: Once the inner floorplate is flipped up inside of the magazine, gently squeeze the sides of the magazine while pushing forward on the baseplate. I had to use a small c-clamp the first time. Once you've taken the baseplates off, the edges of the locking ears get a bit rounded and it's relatively easy to remove during subesquent attempts.

Here is a video demonstrating the process: Glock Magazine Disassembly

·
Registered
885 Posts
www.mygtul.com It helps me remove the magazine floor plate quicker & easier.:cool:

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I put Pearce PG2733 magazine extensions (+2 but practically only +1 in 9mm) and had the same issue. There are two tricks to getting the factory baseplate off for the first time.

Trick #1: You have to use a punch long enough to not just push the button up, but you need to flip the entire inner plate vertical in the magazine. This usually requires the use of the Glock tool or a long slender screwdriver.

Trick #2: Once the inner floorplate is flipped up inside of the magazine, gently squeeze the sides of the magazine while pushing forward on the baseplate. I had to use a small c-clamp the first time. Once you've taken the baseplates off, the edges of the locking ears get a bit rounded and it's relatively easy to remove during subesquent attempts.

Here is a video demonstrating the process: Glock Magazine Disassembly
Thanks. I just used a little Allen wrench, which was probably not long enough. I may have boogered up the insides, too. Going to try and find somebody who has actually done this several times before I attempt it again. I'm sure either somebody at a LGS or at my gun club has done it before. People are usually eager to help a blunderbuss like me (Thank God).

AK

·
getcha suma dat
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I love the little challenges associated with working on guns, or anything for that matter. I may break stuff, and things might not work at times but it's all about experience and learning. Trial and error.

·
just me
8,192 Posts
I feel your pain. Today I was simply trying to replace the Glock stock floorplate on a 10-rd G26 mag, so I could install a Pearce +3 extension. I worked on it for almost an hour, and NEVER COULD GET THE ORIGINAL FLOORPLATE OFF OF THE G**DAMN MAGAZINE BODY! I think I even might have boogered the little tittie that sticks through the hole in the floorplate, so for all I know the mag might be toast. I have two, and I left the other one alone.

My irrefutable ineptitude at this kind of thing is renowned world-wide. I've ordered some extended slide release levers from Midway, which should arrive tomorrow, but I'm almost afraid to try to install them myself. THE KING OF KLUTZ AM I....................

AK[/QUOTE
did you use the glock tool ? :whistling:

·
Registered
1,119 Posts

AK[/QUOTE
did you use the glock tool ? :whistling:
No. Don't have the Glock tool, but I should get one. I'll have to look at Glockmeister and MidwayUSA to see if they have the tool, next time I order some gun stuff.

AK

·
Not a golfer
432 Posts
:nailbiting: Or maybe glasses!

No. Don't have the Glock tool, but I should get one. I'll have to look at Glockmeister and MidwayUSA to see if they have the tool, next time I order some gun stuff.
AK
Amazon Prime has it for <$9.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
:nailbiting: Or maybe glasses!

Amazon Prime has it for <$9.
I took one last stab at it, and finally got the little commie b**tard floorplate to move off so I could replace it with the Pearce +3 extension. It looks as if the +3 is really only +2, but that's cool.

Got the other mag done, too, so things are looking up. Will test both mags in my 26 at the range tomorrow.

The rotten part of the day was I was unable to remove the roll pin from the frames of my G17 and G22, in order to install the extended slide stop levers. I used a brass punch and hammer, but to no avail. The roll pins didn't budge so much as a micron. I'm gonna have a Glock armorer do these; not gonna take a chance on boogering up my frames. They cost me too much for that.

AK

·
getcha suma dat
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I took one last stab at it, and finally got the little commie b**tard floorplate to move off so I could replace it with the Pearce +3 extension. It looks as if the +3 is really only +2, but that's cool.

Got the other mag done, too, so things are looking up. Will test both mags in my 26 at the range tomorrow.

The rotten part of the day was I was unable to remove the roll pin from the frames of my G17 and G22, in order to install the extended slide stop levers. I used a brass punch and hammer, but to no avail. The roll pins didn't budge so much as a micron. I'm gonna have a Glock armorer do these; not gonna take a chance on boogering up my frames. They cost me too much for that.

AK
Taking that pin out can be a booger. Did you work the slide stop with your thumb while trying to push the pin out. I usually have to have the slide stop moving back and forth while pushing the pin with significant force. Then it will finally pop out. With some practice it becomes pretty easy.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Taking that pin out can be a booger. Did you work the slide stop with your thumb while trying to push the pin out. I usually have to have the slide stop moving back and forth while pushing the pin with significant force. Then it will finally pop out. With some practice it becomes pretty easy.
Yeah, the cat in the how-to video was saying you should try and manipulate the slide stop when trying to knock the pin out. I don't remember which fingers/hand he was using, but I do remember he pushed the damned pin part way out with just his thumb, then beat it the rest of the way out with a hammer.

I might have one last go at it tomorrow, before I give up entirely.

Thanks for the feedback,

AK

·
getcha suma dat
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You don't really need to "knock" the pin out, just push the punch on the pin and give it a lot of steady pressure. Hold that pressure and put more concentration on working the pin back and forth. I usually sit on the carpet with the gun at an angle and press downwards so i can get more leverage. Remember how the pin has those two slots in it so i think the slide stop sort of gets caught in there. The pin will eventually come out. Good luck.

·
Punisher
738 Posts
Now that's a funny story.

To get that pin out you need to jiggle the slide stop up & down and back & forth as you apply pressure. Once it clears the slot it will come right out. A hammer is NOT needed.

·
Not a golfer
432 Posts
I've only ever done this on an AR and didn't particularly enjoy it. Nor replacing them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts