Guide Rod Laser to Zero new Sights. Advice?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by nighttrainNC, Sep 28, 2020.

1. nighttrainNC

nighttrainNC

Hi,

Just got some Trijicon standards put on a G26 and the front sight is much smaller than factory (or expected), although the issue is this:

My factory rear sights were originally drifted slightly to the right in the dovetail slot a tad off center but not much (mainly noticeable if looking at the amount of dovetail on each side of the groove from above before going to my smith, definitely drifted slightly right but not much).

The Guiderod laser's dot always sat on the right side of the post, although we noticed that the factory post was a tad twisted to the left, so the Guiderod laser was 'likely' always centered.

So here we go:

The smith measured and centered the Trijicon sights perfectly with a micrometer and the Trijicon front sight is straight now, BUT to me, the Guiderod laser is sitting above the left of the front sights corner now, yet the smith said it looked centered to him fully and he indeed has better vision but from what I'm seeing, I'm thinking he didn't want to make the minut adjustment to it...
    (I have an astigmatism so it has a starburst affect and the red dot is a huge mess and I agree the starburst effect on red dots flares to my left, but nothing is directly above the post when the dots are perfectly aligned!!!) Until then, astigmatism or not, it's not aligned imo!

Getting home, unless I let the front sight favor *slightly* toward the right side of the rear opening (a taaad off center when aligning the dots) it is only then when the laser looks fully aligned perfectly with the front post, just higher elevation. (Do they make shims for Trijicons?)

Should I drift it a taaaad, or keep it centered for now?

If so, what direction does the Rear go to make the red dot that's leaning left become centered? I go "Right", correct?

Have an NCstar tool in route to make adjustments. It's a 50 buck tool but figure it's good for Glock sights. (Unlike XD and Beretta which are hell to budge)

The new sights are smaller & shorter and the laser sits much higher than before, also not kissing the front Sight's tip anymore due to the shorter sight post, the Factory ones had way less space on each side of the front. But hey, "Aim Small, Miss Small" I guess...

Would you trust the windage of a Lasermax Guiderod laser, or just keep the rears measured dead center?

The lasermax can have play, although I'm using it after racking it when it's settled in it's normal position.

It's a G26, not a tack driver, but still... Want the best being don't plan to verify at the range anytime soon.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  2. jamppp

jamppp

Keep the sights centered and shoot from a rest before you adjust anything

FullClip and Chowser like this.

3. MajorD

MajorD

Two independent sighting systems that have nothing to do with each other. Use sights and ignore laser or vice versa.

Chowser likes this.
  4. pittpa

pittpa What did I come in here for?

Fortress of Solitude on 11th floor - SW PA 'burbs
    Just so you know and for what it’s worth I bought a Glock 27 with a guide rod laser already installed, used. The laser was way off. I found out it was installed upside down. I turned. it around and it worked out great. I had no right to left issues as I recall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. cciman

cciman MacGyver

Since the laser is in the recoil spring, and not in the bore, you have to zero (Calibrate) the laser to the barrel first, before using it as a reference to the sights.
    Most lasers are cheaply made, not necessarily centered or inline with it's own housing.

Sights centered on the slide, does not guarantee that they match the barrel axis (that is why they are drift ADJUSTABLE- NOT MANUFACTURED WITH THE SIGHTS.

Ultimately you are moving the sights or laser to match your point of impact. Zero both independently, since you are not using both at the same time anyways.

6. nighttrainNC

nighttrainNC

U

Lol,

I did the same today, I put new batteries in the Guiderod laser and put the battery cap on upside down.

When Installed, it first was like 6 inches high at 5ft away!!!

Realized the issue and it came back to the top of the sight.

Now, just wanting to get the windage lined up with it, as it seemed to be pretty spot on in the past, even tho using it just for this. I've ditched the Guiderod for an OEM recoil spring after hearing how prone they are to breaking.

7. nighttrainNC

nighttrainNC

Not ZERO per say, that fit better in the title, but my "windage" (roughly) being a home defense pistol, haven't designated range time yet, just wanted to upgrade the sights. Wanted to sit it down and plan for it to be 'about' the same or 'good enough'.

The Guiderod laser seemed to be dead on on the past. Batteries had long does and brought it back out today to double check after the sights were on.

It's only a tad off, but I can also see where the sights aren't as far to the right as they previously were, even if only a few hundreths of an inch according to my smith. It's visible and if I go the slightest away from the front post being dead center and drift to the right, it lines back up.

8. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Private side

Where the dot is in relation is going to change , up and down, as distance changes, or so my experience with the Laser Max showed. Still, I could put it in a G17 and it was dead on at 15 yds, lining up to sit on top of the front sight but off to the left on my G22; both pistols sights were adjusted for me to have poa/poi hold around 15yds.
    I can only assume there was something “off” about the G22 and guide rod combo.