close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Guide Rod Issue- Stock Rod

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by thegriz18, Feb 10, 2010.

1. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

I just ordered a new guide rod for my G23 as it seems the original is getting weak.

Well, the new one is nice and stiff, but, the captive piece on the end seems like it is ready to fall off. I can almost pull it off with my fingers. When I lock the slide back I can wiggle it back and forth. It seems like it will fly off when I fire the gun. Is this normal? IMO, I have a defective part.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  2. mongo356

mongo356

Sometimes they are like that, some fall off & some stay put. The end just press fits in & the only function it serves is to keep the spring captured when its removed from the gun.

If it comes off, not a big deal just use it as a un-captured till you replace the recoil assembly with a new one, or keep a couple of spares in you shooting box. BTW if it has a "1" on the end it should be a newer rod with the extra "Zytel" supposedly to add some heat resistance for those 1,000 round torture tests. I have noticed that the "1" rods seem more rigid.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010

3. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

Ughh, another part. Maybe Glock will send me a new one for free. I bought this one. This almost makes me want to buy one of those BT Guide Rods. I just can't see spending $40 for a guide rod.

4. toshbar

toshbar Timber Baron

my stock one wiggled at the end. never came loose though. I ended up getting a stainless steel one.

5. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

Everyone says the steel ones cause jams and what not. I have one for mt G17 which jammed before I put it in so I can't tell one way or the other. I've heard so much back and forth on it. I don't know what to believe any more. My gut tells me that it was a cost saving idea Glock had. I don't see how a "flexible" recoil rod could have aided the design of the pistol. I mean everything else about it is designed for low cost manufacturing. Just look at how the slide has so many nice looking machine cuts in it. :cool: I actually like the no B.S. business look of the Glock.

6. mongo356

mongo356

Most likely the cap will stay put. They will but rarely do pop out. If it bugs you change it or superglue your current one in.

This is my opinion and experience with aftermarket guide rods. Back when I was using 357sig I wanted a heavier spring weight in my G32 to tame some recoil. bought a captured all steel 20lb guide rod and proceeded to have several jams. Factory rod no jams but kicked like a mule. Bought a Wolf un-captured and 20 lb spring, all worked well but after about 500 rounds wouldn't pass the recoil spring test (pull trigger on un-loaded gun and hold the trigger back, slowly ease the slide forward, gun tilted at a 90 degree angle) it never caused any jams but seemed that the springs would weaken fast.

With that said gave Wolf set up for my G22 (19lb spring) to my father who is still using it after approximately 5yrs on same spring no less and no problems or jams to report.

Overall I wasted some money on a learning experience....personally I stick with factory Glock recoil units. They work and work well, corrosion/temp resistant. I cannot prove either way but don't really buy the rod flexing with the gun story....may be true I have no idea. YMMV

BTW just for kicks- the new GEN4 double recoil spring is suppose to be a 10,000 round spring. Current Glock 40 replacement intervals are 3,000 and the other calibers are 5,000.

7. Markasaurus

Markasaurus

I'm fairly certain you're absolutely right. Look at every other auto pistol ever made, how many of them have flexible plastic recoil rods - i don't know but the answer is, not many! It probably saves them about $3 per gun or something - maybe the accountants run the engineering department at Glock now?

On another post someone said the earlier glocks had steel guide rods, if true, that ends the debate for all time i think. The point is that a lot of people spend too much money for a steel guide rod that then often makes the gun not work right, if all the posts here about this issue are any indication.

I just paid $16.95 for a stock one from midwayusa, $24 all. They had it in my mailbox in 4 days.

[​IMG]

I ordered a steel one from somebody for my 26 but they botched the order so i just cancelled it. It cost twice as much so i just got this stock one. Nothing wrong with the old assembly after about 300 rounds. But I know all about things mechanical and how they like to break at a bad time (per the post), so i wanted a spare.

Dear Mongo - i have no faith at all in superglue, or any kind of glue, for this purpose - unless you know of a kind i don't.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010