Guide rod issue on Glock 33.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Domestic615, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Domestic615

Domestic615 OD G19

I purchased a stainless steel guide rod from lightning strike for my G33 more so for looks than anything else but after i rack the slide a few times the back of the guide rod seems to work its way off the little groove where it catchs i have not fired it yet being i would like to resolve this issue before i shoot it to avoid any real problems , Also the barrel is polished could that add to the problem? Has anyone else had this problem? Is there anything i can do to make it catch on that groove better like dremel the groove to make it catch better? Any help would be greatly appreciated i already emailed lightning strike but i probably wont hear from them until tomorrow.

Also if your going to say "Put your stock guide rod back in it" refrain from posting i could care less about advice on using stock parts i bought the stainless one for a reason an i intend on using it i just want to make sure this isnt a real problem or wont turn into one.

2. 9mmXRAY

9mmXRAY IDPA MW2 GSSF

Its still seated correct? Like halfway in the seat of what it was when you put it in and pressed it down into the seat right?

3. CynicX

CynicX

What is it sliding off of? It should be catching on the frame. When you assemble it, rack it a few times, and disassemble it. Where does it end up? Falling out or still locked between the slide and barrel?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  4. Domestic615

Domestic615 OD G19

Its still seated but not completely and a couple times it worked its way completely off just getting caught on the bottom of the barrel.

The front of the rod/spring is fine its the rear where it catchs on the groove on the bottom of the barrel it seems to work its way down not staying seated like it should , Or is it not supposed to be completely seated in that groove?

5. CynicX

CynicX

It will work its way out a LITTLE bit. Remember its only on that grove when there is no tension on it.

If you disassemble it and you can push it onto the barrel a little bit (feel it slide further on) then thats normal. If its falling out when you disassemble it, you got problems.

Even the stock part will let you slide it on a little further when you take it apart. Its only in the position when there is absolutely no tension on the spring (when disassembling it). So its not uncommon for it to not be exactly where you put it.

I would suggest putting the stock part on just to illustrate its normal. I think you'll be fine...

6. Domestic615

Domestic615 OD G19

7. Domestic615

Domestic615 OD G19

It doesnt fall out or anything like that just doesnt seat where i thought it was supposed to i had thought that it was supposed to seat all the way in the cresent shaped groove.

8. 9mmXRAY

9mmXRAY IDPA MW2 GSSF

No thats only for installation, after you rack the slide its going to reposition itself. My stock G17 polymer guiderod moves like 1/2 off and so does my stainless guiderods. Its normal shoot it.

9. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

That's the assembly notch.Once the slide is reassembled, it pops into the upper notch.You're good to go...:cool:

10. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

Beat me to it by one second...:steamed:....................:supergrin: :wavey:

11. Domestic615

Domestic615 OD G19

Ok i guess i just never noticed it before , Thanks for all the info Bentbiker , CynicX , 9mmXRAY , and 3rdgen40 you really relieved my stress i thought this was a problem.

+1 for GT again

12. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

Glad to help...:wavey:

13. 9mmXRAY

9mmXRAY IDPA MW2 GSSF

:highfive:

14. CynicX

CynicX

I should have mentioned when I said mine did the same thing the slide flew off and stuck into my forehead.

Oh well!

15. Domestic615

Domestic615 OD G19

Haha sounds like it hurt.

16. bentbiker

bentbiker

Actually, once it is assembled, no part of the recoil spring is in contact with the barrel until it is disassembled again. When operating, one end pushes forward on the slide and the other end pushes on the frame. The notch in the barrel lug merely acts as a carrier to properly line it up for assembly.

17. species0113

species0113 RECOIL WHORE