close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Guidance plse: jpg & similar images to tv-viewable CRD or DVD?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by MB-G26, Aug 17, 2004.

1. MB-G26

MB-G26 Non-existent STUPID GURL Lifetime Member

Since I don't mess with things like music downloads or burn non-data CDs/DVDs, I'm not at all familar with the aspects of file types, extensions, conversions, etc., that pertain to making a media file of one type readable/viewable/playable on a different device (i.e. converting .wav files to .mp3, etc.). So, I'm a bit out of my element.

I have a ton of digital pictures (Cali trip, sister's new baby, etc.) that I would like to copy to either a CD or a DVD (BIL built kiddo a desktop w/a dual-use CDReader/DVD burner drive), which I can then play in either the movie CD player or the DVD movie player at my parents' so they can view the pictures most easily.

IIRC they have a regular, standard-issue type movie CD player in the living room, along w/a VCR movie player; my sister gave a DVD movie player to my dad about a year and a half ago, which they have in his room. IIf it matters, both tvs are more 'modern' than not and thus have the input/output recepticals (into which the tv's peripherals are connected), but only the one in dad's room is less than 2 yrs. old.)

Surely there is (a) some kind of file conversion necessary and (b) probably some autorun.inf type command or program that needs to be contained on the media containing the converted/tv-viewable pictures?

One thing I thought of was to have kiddo prepare one of those 'slide show' type file -- using whichever (see, I'm SO not modern) fancy smancy program** it is that does that, but I suspect such a file would only play on a computer CD/DVD and NOT on a regular television CD/DVD player. (**Excell? PowerPoint? Access? Presentations? something program name like that... he used it to prepare a slide show type school assignment in the last couple years)

Wish I could formulate my questions more tech-articulately, but I am so Unmodernly Unfamiliar w/this end of stuff that even better/correct terms escape me.

So - is it possible to do such thing, prepare (on an XP computer) a 'slide show' self-exe'g type file of jpgs and bmps which will play properly on a non-computer related, tv-connected CD/DVD player?

What program should he use to do this, and do the answers apply to BOTH CD and DVD tv players, or only to, say, DVD players?

TIA!
    m

2. Toyman

Toyman

Most DVD players that can view JPG files will automatically show the pictures as a slide show when you put the CD in. (That's just a standard data CD with files on it.)

If that doesn't work, then VCD format would be needed.

3. MB-G26

MB-G26 Non-existent STUPID GURL Lifetime Member

"VCD" format - sounds like one of those magic words I didn't know, but knew enough to know I was missing :)
    OH! I see, this is where mpeg comes into it:
    Utoh... I'm seeing stuff in google regarding "encoding" problems...

That Nero program - seems like I remember reading about people having a lot of problems w/that one... helpful info in their FAQ tho,
    hum..... reference elsewhere to MPEG-2 being better for tv viewing.... http://www.deskshare.com/Resources/articles/dmc_understandingvcddvdformats.aspx

Thanks! Looks like the magic word is what I needed to get started figuring this out :)
    m