Guidance Needed - My First EDC Pistol

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by JustinB_ZA, Mar 22, 2020.

1. JustinB_ZA

JustinB_ZA

Hi All

Let me preface this thread by saying I fully understand that a lot of the answers to this are based on personal preference and your ability to accurately shoot the specific firearm.

With that said I pose the following question: I am new to the EDC world and am looking at obtaining my first EDC pistol, after extensive research and a bit of range time I have narrowed my choices down to the Glock 19 (Gen 4 or Gen 5) and the Glock 43X. I am a relatively skinny guy (5'9" and Size 30 Waist) and would be looking at carrying AIWB (with spare magazine) as this seems to protrude less than 4 O'clock IWB on me.

I have had the opportunity to "test fit" a Glock 19 with a AIWB holster and I am able to conceal it however it is highly dependent on what T-shirt I wear. I have not "test fitted" the Glock 43X but I am assuming it will be more concealable*

I am a bit weary of the slightly reduced magazine capacity of the 43X but it does not make or break the deal for me.

I intend on carrying 24/7 and thus concealability will play a huge role in allowing me to do so. So with all that said I would like to know your opinions on the matter. Will the 4mm (0.16") difference of the 43X make a big enough difference to warrant the reduced magazine capacity or should I rather stick with the ubiquitous Glock 19 and if so which generation?

Have any of you switched from a 19 to 43X for your carry gun and if so what have you noticed?

* I know concealability depends more on the grip length than the thickness but I am not a fan of shooting short grip guns such as the Glock 26 or Sig P365.

Note: I have shot both the Glock 19 and the 43X and shot both more or less the same. 43X slightly more left than the 19 - but I believe this is just due to lack of range time with the 43x

2. cadillacguns

cadillacguns Millennium Member

Both nice weapons, but the G-19 accepts more magazines, more ammo, and the thinner G-43x doesn’t fit my hand as fully as the G-19.
    I have both, carry a .40, but (IMHO) the G-19 gets the nod, good enough for the FBI.

snowbird.40, BigG19, BillG174 and 6 others like this.

3. jamppp

jamppp

Similarly, I have XL hands, and prefer the G19 size grip.
    If the 43X fits you well, it is not only thinner, but also lighter.

go with the 43X if you shoot it well and it fits your hand

sonoma, snowbird.40, SARDG and 2 others like this.
  4. BoomBoomStik

BoomBoomStik

It isn’t entirely uncommon to have you “dress around” a concealed carry pistol. I carry a Glock 19 with RMR and streamlight tlr-7 in the appendix position. Black t-shirts are your friend. I personally wouldn’t carry anything that I wouldn’t want to be in a gunfight with, so that throws out single stacks and micro pistols.

To be clear, I am not saying that my personal attitude towards chosen carry weapon is correct, nor am I trying to convince you to adopt the same mentality. I am simply sharing.

B0308, snowbird.40, CC Glock and 4 others like this.
  5. -JCN-

-JCN-

1. Claw holsters help reduce printing by pushing the end of the grip towards your belly. Two clip holsters are an alternative to help as well, the angle of the holster can be better governed than with a one clip holster.

2. G43x with a Shield Arms S15 magazine gives you a flush fit 15 round magazine and then you don’t give up any capacity to a G19.

3. Static slow fire on a square range doesn’t give you the true difference in shootability. Rapid fire (like 5 shots per second) and transitions is where you’ll notice the G19 having an advantage.

4. You really can’t go wrong with either. I’d prefer a G19 to shoot and a G43X to carry. Buy both!

6. SARG

SARG

Strange transitional world. Carried a five shot J frame for decades without concern of "not having enough" and today have six Glocks and a P365. I'm at the end of the rainbow but still plan on getting a 43X ........ 10 rounds is more than enough kids.

7. BoomBoomStik

BoomBoomStik

until you need 15.....

I think the point is, if you can carry more, why wouldn’t you?

Teecher45, -JCN- and JustinB_ZA like this.
  8. ak103k

ak103k

I would suggest you carry what you shoot best with, and go from there. Youll figure out a way to carry it.

Im 5' 6", 170# with a 34" waist, and I carry a 17 with a reload AIWB, in my normal clothes (I dont "size up") and dont have any problems doing so.

[​IMG]

Theres a bit more to carrying than just the size of the gun. And I think a lot of people make a big deal out of a few mm of difference here and there, when its really meaningless in reality.

The most important thing "is the gun", should you actually need it, and yet this seems to be where people choose to compromise. The odds of actually needing it may be small, but if and when you do need it, you NEED it and need something that is effective, and you can be effective with, in any situation. Not just the ones you win in your mind.

A proper gun and gear, reasonable clothes, and a whole bunch of confidence and attitude are the formula for making it work. ;)

If the choice is the two you listed, Id take the 19 with a 17 mag for the reload.

9. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

A 19 is awfully big to carry all the time, especially if you are skinny, and there is an awfully big difference between a 43x and a 19.

Personally, I'd find the 43x too big. I carry a 43 and keep the flat base on one magazine, to keep it small, then I have a Ruger LCP for when the 43 is too big.

Life is not a Jason Bourne movie, you can get by just fine with James Bond capacity. Keep in mind which of those characters was written by a real spy/commando and which was written by a Marine private with a drama degree.

10. GlockyQ

GlockyQ Custom Title

My vote is for G43X for you. Here are the reasons:
    1. You are planning to AIWB carry, instead of IWB carry.
    2. You are planning to carry 24/7.
    3. You are not LEO. (If you were, you wouldn’t be asking the question here.)
    4. You can get new SA 15-rounder mags.
    5. You can use the G48 upper.

Let me elaborate:
    1. Obviously smaller guns are much easier to carry AIWB than larger guns. Between the two guns, the G19 has a longer upper and a thicker grip, which make AIWB harder than the G43X.

2. I usedq to IWB carry my trusty G19 with 15+1 rounds and a spare mag with factory +2 extension with 16 rounds for many years. Back then I did not carry 24/7, but when I carried them all day, they felt really heavy at the end of the day. If you are planning to carry 24/7, you will definitely appreciate a lighter gun!

3. Seriously, capacity for civilian ccw has been much overrated these days. Unless you are a dope dealer in the ‘hood, you will never need a lot of fire power. Ten +1 in a G43X and 10 more rounds in a spare mag should be more than you will ever need as an ordinary ccw license holder.

4. If, for some reasons, you ever want more than 10 rounds in your gun, get a couple of SA 15-rounder mags, which seem to be reliable according to members reporting here.

5. Once you have a G43X and if you ever want to carry a gun with a longer G19 size barrel, you can always buy a G48 upper. A G48 with a SA 15 rounder mag will hold the same number of rounds as a G19 (if you must have them), have the same length barrel as the G19 but will still be thinner and lighter.

When you are new to carrying a handgun, you tend to want to carry a bigger gun that holds more rounds. But once it becomes your routine, you will start seeing this whole CCW thing more realistically....

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
  11. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

All I can add to the very good advice already posted is; after 47 yrs of EDC and instructing hundreds of LEOs and civilians, I think the overarching issue is committing to EDC regardless of what you actually carry...Choose a platform you will actually commit to carrying each and every day ( where lawful) and like Nike says; Just do it...so many folks get wrapped around the axle of endless debates about whether a J-frame or a P365 or 43x is "best"...choose something you can live with, and can hit a man-sized target out to 10 yds with consistently...learn it, live it, love it...

12. The Viking

The Viking

I am a Glock 19 fan but I carry OWB and eschew IWB.

13. SARG

SARG

I suppose for the same reason I don't carry two money clips ... or two of anything. Been a LEO for three decades and suspect confidence in ability has a lot to do with being comfortable. Being in polyester (in uniform) is a totally different scenario. Then being a pack mule with over 45 rounds is justified.

snowbird.40, ruffhunter and Jeff S. like this.
  14. Spats McGee

Spats McGee

Welcome to EDC! We'll have you ready for your Wally Walk in no time.
    Kudos to you for going to the range and shooting both. So often, new gun buyers show up with questions, the answer to which is often "go to the range and shoot them before you buy."

As I carry neither a 19 nor a 43X, I can't compare the two. I carried a G19 for several years, but switched before the 43X was available. I have no shooting experience with the 43X, but I can say these two things: (1) the G19 is a fine pistol for concealed carry, being small enough to conceal, but large enough to shoot well; and (2) I have no reason to think that the 43X is any less reliable or accurate than the G19.

Do not overlook the value of a good belt and holster. Many here (myself included) will advocate a little 'dressing around the gun.' The belt is the foundation of your whole carry system, and having a good belt and holster makes it a whole lot more comfortable to consistently carry. I use either OWB or IWB, always at 4 o'clock, and I carry everywhere I can. It may feel a little strange at first, but soon enough, it will feel strange if you don't have your pistol on yout.

snowbird.40, Teecher45 and JustinB_ZA like this.
  15. BrianV657

BrianV657

I went with a 19 gen5. I’m a little heavier than usual. 5”11 195. I do print a little with the grip but carrying everyday for over a year now, no one has have ever said anything. Not that they would but I’m fully legit concealed carry.

I also went thru about 30 holsters before I went with a N8 Tactical professional and live it. It has a different type of retention the I must twist slightly to unholster but I feel comfortable that no one can just pull it out. I can draw just as quick as a normal retention holster. Just my thoughts!

snowbird.40, -JCN- and JustinB_ZA like this.
  16. seanmac45

seanmac45 CLM

The best advice I can give is to shoot both as much as possible before deciding. Then go with the one you shoot BEST. Comfort is second place to the ability to put shots on target accurately and quickly.

snowbird.40, ak103k and JustinB_ZA like this.
  17. Mike-M

Mike-M

Why???

The percentage of USA self-defense events in which more than one or two rounds are discharged by a civilian is abysmally and negligibly small...to the point of practical nonexistence. Emphasis on magazine capacity by non-law enforcement users is ALWAYS pathologically absurd and has no justification in the real world. You and everyone you know or ever will know will be more than satisfactorily served for EDC by even just a five-shot revolver. Do not let a bogus concern about capacity affect wildly more important issues in selecting a weapon for EDC.

Unless the grip is less comfortable to the owner, a G43 is a superior weapon for frequent civilian concealed carry compared to a G43X. Either beats a G19 for comfortable EDC. Consider anything else you can think of while selecting your EDC weapon, but leave in dreamland those high-capacity multi-magazine hero phantasies about gunning down the ISIS/ANTIFA/MS-13/CNN Axis-Of-Terror brigade that's assaulting your neighborhood Dollar General. :)

18. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

I look at it like this: I accept that my fight might not be average in regards to what is commonly expected in a civilian gunfight. That said, the 43x has more than twice the ammo commonly needed for citizen self defense actions. If more ammo is needed, you can simply pull a reload out of your pocket. A 43X plus one reload easily offers more than 4X the statistical norm.

Speaking for myself, I would choose a 43x over a 19 any day of the week and not even blink. Its lighter, thinner, easier to conceal and more ergo in my med sized hands.

If I were being dropped off in an active warzone which is occupied by a large number of enemy.. I would probably opt for the handgun with the most capacity. It goes without saying that I do not consider the difference in magazine capacity ( 43x v 19 ) to make any realistic difference during my travels to the grocery store.

I have carried a G23, G26, G19, G17. I now carry a 43x and do not lose any sleep over the reduction in capacity. I fully expect to purchase a 48 and simply sell off all my other glocks. The 43, 43X and 48 are the Glocks that we have been begging them to make for more than 20 years. They have finally made them and now I am done.

My advice to the OP would be to purchase the 43X , 20 to 30 good holsters and call it a day.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  19. SARG

SARG

And just to respond to the OP ..... I wear xxl gloves and have the three sizes of Glock .. all double stack ... but I have handled the 43X and found it very comfortable in the hand. I have a P365 Sig for summertime but plan on getting a 43X.

sonoma, Jeff S. and JustinB_ZA like this.
  20. Agonizer

Agonizer Unmasked

I know the Sig P365 is not one of your choices, but if I could only have one gun, the P365 would be it. I wish it had been available when I started carrying, it would have saved a me lot of money.

A gun gets heavy and uncomfortable after carrying all day. Believe me, you will get tired of carrying a G19 all day, unless you are a very dedicated carrier.

I have tried all the Glocks from the G17, G19, G26, and G43. The G43 is good for all day, but lower capacity.

With the Sig, you can run up to a 15 round mag if you feel that is necessary, or keep it in a smaller package with a 10 round. The P365 is small, lightweight, and can be high capacity.

I have XL hands, and have added a Hougue beavertail grip sleeve. The grip feels just fine in my hands.

I highly recommend the Sig P365. It is THE gun for all day concealed carry. You will thank me later.