close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Guest editorial: Americans have no right to carry guns in public

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ridgerunner, Jan 10, 2010.

1. ridgerunner

ridgerunner

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20100107/OPINION01/1070327/1007/

Other Views
    When Leonard Embody, wearing a cammo jacket, military boots and a black skullcap, openly carried an AK-47 firearm in Radnor Lake State Park on the Sunday before Christmas, he did more than scare a few hikers. His actions, though lawful, sparked outrage and a larger debate on Tennessee handgun carry laws.

Tennessee law defines a "handgun" as "any firearm with a barrel length of less than 12 inches that is designed, made or adapted to be fired with one hand." Apparently Mr. Embody's AK-47 fell within this definition because its barrel was 11 inches and was adapted to be shot with one hand.
    Mr. Embody's "hiking" while openly armed in a state park shows how handgun carry laws fundamentally alter the nature of civic life, the peace of public places and the character of society in Tennessee. Similar to an episode in Pennsylvania where a gun-toting mother exercised her "right" to openly carry her permitted handgun to her 5-year-old's soccer game, Mr. Embody's brandishing of an AK-47 in a state park leaves citizens aghast.
    State changed law in 1994
    Mr. Embody stated that he openly carried his AK-47 "because it was his right" — a right believed to have been acknowledged in the U.S. Supreme Court's decision in District of Columbia vs. Heller (2008). But there is no Second Amendment right to openly carry a weapon in public.
    In Heller the Supreme Court decided only that Washington, D.C.'s ban on handguns in a person's home was unconstitutional. The Supreme Court did not hold that the Second Amendment's individual right to bear arms was a "fundamental right," nor did the court validate any right to carry firearms in public. Heller does not prevent states or the District of Columbia from prohibiting concealed or open carry of firearms in public. Many states prohibit openly carrying handguns or firearms (Arkansas, Texas, Illinois, New York, Oklahoma, Florida, South Carolina and Wisconsin, as well as Washington, D.C.). After Heller the District of Columbia still bans concealed and open carry of handguns in public (as NBA basketball player Gilbert Arenas recently learned).

In 1994 Tennessee changed its laws to require that handgun permits must be issued to qualified applicants. Now 339,000 handgun carry permits have been issued in Tennessee. Because Tennessee also allows permit holders from any state to openly carry a handgun in Tennessee, conceivably 4 million permit holders (the number estimated in the U.S) could carry handguns in Tennessee.
    While Mr. Embody is likely a law-abiding, zealous advocate of the open carry of handguns, the Violence Policy Center in Washington, D.C., is keeping tabs on the number of shooting deaths by handgun permit holders. Some 107 people were killed by permit holders since 2007, including six murders by Tennessee permit holders; see www.vpc.org/ccwkillers.htm.
    The claim by the NRA and gun lobbyists that less-restrictive gun laws or more guns in the hands of law-abiding citizens will make society safer or deter crime is false. Studies show that gun control legislation lowers the number of gun-related deaths anywhere between one to almost six per 100,000 individuals.
    Simply put, more guns equals more crime.
    David Randolph Smith is a trial attorney in Nashville and a former professor of law at Vanderbilt Law School. He was lead attorney for the plaintiffs in the successful challenge to Tennessee's guns-in-bars law.

2. engineer151515

engineer151515

So, I guess the world was a perfect place before the advent of firearms?

That's not what my history books taught me.

The good attorney did not mention that the Supreme Court puts you as responsible for your own protection - absent a contract with the police to the contrary.

3. Chad Landry

Chad Landry Cajunator® CLM

Hmmm....

I don't want to take the time to look them up.

I'm guessing that the "6 murders" weren't murders. I'm guessing they were homicides, most likely justified in self defense.

Of course, I'm more than certain that the vast majority of the 107 people killed by permit holders were in the category of "needed killin'".

The problem with VPC and other anti-gun groups is that they group anyone killed by a gun into "gun murders".

4. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

Lie, Lies and still more lies!

5. john58

john58 BHO is a LIAR!

I guess carrying a gun by this guys definition is brandishing. I always thought brandishing is using a gun in a threatening manner. So by extension, open carry is brandishing. What a load of excrement. This is just typical anti-gun ranting. Gun control always results in crime increase, just ask Australia and UK.

6. Chad Landry

On the other hand, this is what our old friend "kwikrnu" brought upon those who carry legally in public.

This walking through the park while carrying an AK pistol, with an orange painted tip, while wearing military-type clothing, was supposed to somehow help those of us who cherish our 2nd Amendment rights.

This guy's a worse piece of work than this fanatical anti-gun attorney.

As much as I love Tennessee, and all the good people there, let's not forget where Al Gore comes from.

7. HCRoadie

HCRoadie Rock or Suck?

Some 107 people were killed by permit holders since 2007, including six murders by Tennessee permit holders
    How many people were killed by NON permit holders in that time? As cjlandry said, I am sure that most of that 107 Needed to be dealt with

8. thanospro

thanospro

Go figure, an editorial in the tennessean from a tree huggin hippy. Another reason I don't buy that garbage anymore.

9. AZ DBLTRBL

AZ DBLTRBL Out Of Order CLM

Hey David...gimme your wallet! :2gun:

10. Chad Landry

Take him to Memphis while you're at it, and drop him off there.

11. Fiery Red XIII

Fiery Red XIII Adorkable CLM

As an attorney, he should know that his state grants americans (for the most part [read:permitted]) the right to carry guns in public. He's a lowsy lawyer!

Red

12. Chad Landry

On the contrary, the permitting process makes his case.

It's not a right if you have to be licensed or permitted to do it.

ETA: Rights were never "granted". Privileges are granted. Rights are inalienable, neither given nor taken by anyone.

13. Atlas

Atlas transmogrifier

Well spoken.

14. AZ DBLTRBL

AZ DBLTRBL Out Of Order CLM

Can I drop him off in more than one green garbage bag? :whistling:

15. Fiery Red XIII

Fiery Red XIII Adorkable CLM

you're right...back to the "trying to be quickwitted" drawing board!

:embarassed:Red

16. Chad Landry

If you do, I'll tip more generously.

17. holyjohnson

holyjohnson

::::shudder:::: all 4 million US permit holders could show up in Tennessee at the same time! all "brandishing" they`re LEGAL firearms.crime would skyrocket (if following the law and open carrying was actually brandishing that is)
    does his logic apply to law enforcement and the Military as well.because the Constitution says Militia not,military or police.

18. keeper85

keeper85

David Smith- "You sir are are an idiot"

19. Gallium

Gallium CLM

We therefore by extensions have no right to free speech in public places, and we certainly DO NOT have the right to assemble in public places either.

Have I forgotten any?

:)

'Drew

20. Retseh

Retseh