close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Guardian class paramedic definition

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by G21FAN, Nov 2, 2004.

1. G21FAN

G21FAN Useless loser Millennium Member

2. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Under 170.80, para 5: The competitor is a full-time or volunteer firefighter or paramedic.
    That would qualify to shoot under AG. :)

3. Terminator

Terminator

Is that paramedic only does it include EMT's also?

4. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

I think I see the distinction you're after but can't answer (EMT in private ambulance perhaps, vs. fire dep't paramedic). Probably best to call GSSF office on that one at 770-437-4718. :)

5. Norske

Norske Millennium Member

My thought is that if your job (full time or volunteer) requires you to be "on call" to respond to emergencies just as firefighters and police are, and your duties put you at some personal risk for the public good, you qualify for "A-G" in GSSF.

I for one do not know what the differences are between a paramedic and an EMT.

If someone could enlight us, perhaps our attempts to answer the original question would be more accurate.

6. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

The National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians has established three levels of EMT's.

1. Basic

2. Intermediate

3. Paramedic

The real difference between the three is that a paramedic can do more advanced procedures and can give drugs that basics and intermediates can't and a paramedic provides advanced life support procedures in the field, while basic EMT's can only do basic life support.

Basics, EMT I's and Paramedics do the same job, just at different levels.

7. GeoEMTP

GeoEMTP TX Sheepdawg

There are various levels of certification of Emergency Medical Technician (EMT). Many states and the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians recognize three levels of certification, Basic (EMT-B), Intermediate (EMT-I), and Paramedic (EMT-P.) EMT-B's typically spend about four months in training and are trained to a Basic Life Support (BLS) level. This typically includes advanced first aid, vital sign monitoring, spinal movement restriction, ventilatory support, CPR, and use of Automated External Defibrillators (AED). In some systems EMT-Bs can also monitor blood glucose and administer aspirin and nitroglycerin to chest pain patients but are typically unable to perform invasive procedures or administer medications.

In contrast EMT-Ps spend about two years in training and some states have made it a mandatory Associate's degree program. Paramedics are trained to provide the full range of prehospital advanced life support care including invasive and even some surgical procedures, numerous medications, endotracheal intubation, and advanced cardiac care.

EMT-Is are trained to, you guessed it, an intermediate level between Basic and Paramedic. The intermediate scope of practice varies widely from EMS system to EMS system.

This is all just information per the previous poster's request. In my opinion anyone who answers a 911 call for help should be eligible to shoot in Guardian. I doubt GSSF would make any distinction between various levels of certification. Last time I shot Guardian I was never asked to provide any evidence of my certification. I'd go ahead and sign up for it if I were you.

Geoff

8. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

:) FWI(not)W, my guess is that an EMT or paramedic (pick your term) working in the field, as opposed to someone who may be trained at that level, but always working in a clinical environment, should be able to shoot AG. The concept of Guardian to me involves some level of personal risk in service to the public. Just my $.02
    ;?

9. Norske

Norske Millennium Member

I concur with the basic concept that if you respond to 911 calls, whether for fire, police, or medical emergencies, you qualify for "A-G" at GSSF

10. Sniper 7.62

Sniper 7.62

I'm run with a VFD here in SW/PA and I shoot AM/G all Public Safty IE Fire,Police and EMS are able to shoot this catagory, I call'ed Chris E. with GSSF in the spring 04 and that is what he said.

11. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Thanks Sniper! Chris would be the man. Sounds like the rule's consistent with the basic philosophy we all discussed. If you're hangin' it out there for the public good, you deserve to shoot AG.
    ;?

12. Terminator

Terminator

OK,
    so do we take into consideration people that have been EMS personnel in the past, but not present??

I am not an EMT now, but i was EMS for approx 10 years. I since have moved on. I guess youd call me civilian since i no longer fit that category. I guess i need to ask Chris and see what he thinks.

13. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

I doubt that "used to be" is going to fly. If you retired from an active EMS/Fire/LEO job then you still qualify.

14. Terminator

Terminator

Cool!
    thanks Fireglock

15. Norske

Norske Millennium Member

Says "The competitor is retired from any of the above positions and receiving benefits from the organization".

I read that as saying that you retired and get either retirement or disability benefits, or WILL get such benefits when you actually do retire.

16. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Not many volunteers receive pensions or disability benefits. :(

17. Sniper 7.62

Sniper 7.62

You need to be active or retired.

18. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

Did you let your certification lapse?

19. Terminator

Terminator

Yes i did let it lapse. I didnt think i would ever work in that field again, and my wife wasnt much in favor of it any longer so i let it go. I am a ER RN now so i keep doing similar things but on a different level.

20. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

For a lot more money to.

I think your larger pay check should make up for your inability to shoot in Am/Guardian. ;f