Glock Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Lifetime Newbie
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Registered
874 Posts
Maybe ask your department to purchase one for you? Call it T&E for use on foot patrol, write an opinion on it.

That seems pretty steep for what it is. It's a neat idea, and I'm sure it has use, but I think more so directing traffic and handling vehicle checkpoints.

· Registered
1,464 Posts
Our entire agency is issued them. For a crash scene, traffic direction or large crowd security you can't beat the visibility.

While they aren't the end all, be all, solution for every situation, they have their place.

If you get one, you'll love the work light feature and the battery life.

· Massive Member
27,175 Posts
These new LED lights on the cars are super bright, great for the car visibility, but for the guy on the traffic stop walking next to the car, they render him invisible at night.

Rather have something on the back so motorists can see you and nothing on the front so the driver can't see your approach.

Does seem kind of expensive though.

Randy

· Registered
1,464 Posts
Also OP, you might want to call them direct and see what they can do on pricing for you. I know when we ordered in bulk we got a discount. The guys who started the company are former public safety (I think one cop and one FF). I am sure they would offer you some sort of discount if they know you are paying out of pocket.

To be honest, the more I thought about this last night and this morning, I really would recommend one for you. If you work foot patrol and need visibility, it doesn't get much better. If you get in some **** and need people to find you, the guardian angel will do that. When you turn it on emergency mode, airplanes can't miss you. We have used them for large festival crowd control and they are great. If you need help quickly, just tap this thing on and you're no problem to find.

Aside from that, I always use mine at crash scenes. The combination of the light and traffic vest make you almost undeniably visible.

· Lifetime Newbie
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah we backed up some bicycle cops last night and their lights were a huge help (they have LEDs on their bicycles). Made me more convinced I should find the money. Not to mention the special events I work involving herding people and cars

· Lifetime Newbie
2,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I pulled the trigger and bought one - found one for $125 shipped. Should be here in a week or so. I'll let everybody know what I think.

· Registered
2,119 Posts
But $200 seems awfully steep...
There are plenty of these types of lights available from bicycle shops and places like REI for a LOT less money. Some are under $10 and have 100 hour battery life. I used to carry one with me when working a big parking lot at night so my backup could find me.

These in infrared would be really super duper when working with an air unit at night. The guys in the air unit could see everyone on the perimeter and instantly tell the bad guys from the good with their F.L.I.R or night vision. You could probably put one or two by the back window of a vehicle and the air unit could always pick you out of the crowd when trying to tail a suspect at night. Or maybe even put one (magnetic) on the suspect vehicle so the air unit could keep up with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts