close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GT Sluggish?

Discussion in 'Announcements & Support' started by Old School, Feb 13, 2003.

1. Old School

Old School

This might not be the right forum for this. If not, I do apologize (in advance) as I'm not trying to pick a fight.

About 2 weeks ago GT started to get VERY slow for me. The delays start when I choose it from my shortcut menu - it looks like there is a hang, but after a wait the GT page opens. It's not an issue of a page opening bit by bit, rather there is no movement for a long time and then the page loads quickly. The delay pretty much happens on every refresh. Also, some of the smiles are supposed to "move", but they do not.

I'm running a cable modem and Zone Alarm Pro - but nothing has changed and I'm not having this issue with other web sites. I even clocked my upload and download times and all appears to be right at advertised bandwidth.

2. Old School

Old School

Well, when I allow all cookies, GT works fine. When I have Zone Alarm block cookies from tracking sites (which doesn't work that well according to AdAware 6), GT doesn't work well.

What kind of cookies would GT be trying to send me (that ZA would be blocking)?

3. ZIPGRAVER

ZIPGRAVER Glock Engraver

I also noticed Glocktalk has REALLY slowed down for me and I am also running a cable modem but nothing special othere than that. Cookies are enabled but man this is slow.

4. glockshootist

glockshootist

I've noticed the same thing for the past month or so. Since I currently have no broadband options, moving around GT on a dialup has become pain-stakingly slow at times. Not long ago, I actually got trapped in a thread containing a bunch of photoshopped images in which I literally could not back out. Had to close IE altogether, and then re-open to get back on GT. I would imagine there is a lot of stress on the server right now.

Old School, the animated smilies display fine for me, once the page has loaded. Does your Internet Options/Advanced tab have the "Play animations in web pages" checked? Keeping your Temporary Internet Files cleaned up might help also.

I envy your cable broadband capabilities...supposed to be available here soon.

5. Guest

Eric you normalised and indexed that database yet?

6. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head Staff Member Admin Silver Member

The problem is that the size of the database is starting to push the limits of what the server can handle. There are more than 1.3 million messages on the site and that translates to about 42 million total database records. The real problem though is the database's search index table. It is a freakin' monster and is causing some huge server load spikes when searches run. It is also getting corrupted increasingly often. As much as I hate to do it, I need to do some pruning. I am going to cut the number of messages on the active site by about half. i am not going to get rid of the old messages though. I will probably set them up in a second DB, as an archive system. When I get a server that can handle the load, I will move everything back together. I will make these changes this weekend. Sorry for the trouble...Eric

7. glockshootist

glockshootist

Thanks for the explanation, and providing us a place to hang out.;Y

8. Guest

Good Job Eric sir, I appreciate you

9. Old School

Old School

glockshootist - yes, I have the 'play animation' box checked. But thank you for your suggestion. Any other ideas are appreciated. The animation in coyote10mm's avatar works great, just no motion on the smiles.

BTW, I've debated on getting broadband for years. Now that I have it, I can say that I was wrong for not getting it sooner. I have to compete with my children (ages 6, 4, & 2) for computer time. It is a battle I gladly lose - until they go to bed. They will never know punch cards, a true floppy disk, DOS, or dial up. But they will learn to reload ammo.

10. glockshootist

glockshootist

My expertise in animated graphics is limited, I must admit.:) Maybe you should post that issue in GNG. There are many talented computer folks there who may be able to help you with the problem, but may not see it here.

And, BTW, it pleases me to hear your kids will be reloaders. Good job, Dad!;c