Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
22,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
/

My 1993 GMC Sonoma gets very little use. Maybe started 6 times per year and driven 2 times per year. Today I started it and immediately noticed it sounded different. Or should I say it didn't sound like anything!!! It started right up but it is extremely quiet, almost to the point of not being able to hear it run at all. It normally has a little bit of exhaust rumble. I did hear what I believe to be some slight exhaust popping coming from near the engine. I went back to the tail pipe and again very quiet. I put my hand down and I do feel some hot exhaust coming out but almost no sound. I am suspecting a partially backed up/clogged exhaust. I did drive it and it seemed to drive ok but once again while driving I couldn't hear it running at all especially while coasting, very weird feeling. Are there any simple tests to diagnose or confirm a backed up exhaust?

By the way we do have mud daubers(sp) pretty bad around here. I wonder if some got in the exhaust?

Thanks

/

· Banned
28,106 Posts
Put some fresh gas in it and drive it some more and maybe a bottle of this
Liquid Yellow Fluid Drink Paint

· Registered
10,066 Posts
If it’s sat for a long time, the exhaust may be full of rodents and nests.

I had an old truck that we used to haul stuff around the property. It sat over winter without use for about 5 months and when I started it it blew mice and straw and dog food all over in back of the truck. A whole mouse village.

· Registered
6,825 Posts
If you had a total blockage, the engine wouldn't start.
I have seen small things jammed into the exhaust shoot out like a cannon.

If it it extra insect muffins. It will break up, and blow out eventually.

Did you try driving it around?

· Values. Can't be bought.
16,200 Posts
Or bits of catalytic converter.

· Banned
28,106 Posts
/

Dang my thread got moved. I didn't even know we had a car forum!

/
No one new will see it now that you got banished to the dungeon forum

· Millenium #3936
6,681 Posts
I would suspect a converter that has rusted and collapsed on the inside OR something built a nest in there. That is assuming that all your cylinders are firing.

Reactions: Atomic Punk

· Registered
226 Posts
20+ years and never heard that complaint. Since an engine is basically an air pump, don’t discount the intake side. I’d find it easier to believe something built a nest in the air filter. A significant restriction should also cause a loss of power. Did the truck feel sluggish under hard acceleration?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts