close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

GT Mechanics - Where to start?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by pjrocco, Apr 8, 2010.

1. pjrocco

pjrocco Rock

I have 2000 Buick Regal GS with 130,000 on the clock. Overall she has served me well over the last 8 years. Recently, she has developed an issue I can't seem to put my finger on. I'm hoping to get some starting points and go from there.

Between 35mph and 45mph only under acceleration I am getting a very strong shimmy or shake. It moves the entire car and doesn't seem to come from one certain spot. Before 35 and after 45 it is smooth... First I thought it might be an alignment issue or tire issue, but it only happens under acceleration. But, if I hammer the gas or use strong acceleration it is not there. It only happens under normal driving.

The car still drives well and has plenty of power. Everything is in good working order except I need a battery really bad. If the battery sits more than a day or so, it dies. But, that should have no bearing on this issue. I did a full tuneup and all fluid flush at 70,000 and I know she's due for some maintenance intervals, but again, I don't believe it's linked to this issue.

Money is tight right now, so I'm trying to do as much as possible by myself.

Thoughts? Where do I start?

2. knightkrawler00

knightkrawler00

Is the transmission shifting at that speed? If you get out of the throttle and get back into it does the vibration come back? What does your transmission fluid look like? Figure out what gear you are in and rpm range. Put the transmission into that gear manually and try varying amounts of throttle and see what that does for your issue. The reason I'm leaning towards transmission is that it is not there under no load or high load. You are moving shift points around, as well as transmission line pressure, with varying amounts of throttle. Which engine is your car equipped with? There is a bulletin that applies to 3.1L cars that seems similar.

3. Ol Timer

Ol Timer ↓ hog hunter ↓ Millennium Member

Sounds like worn tie rod ends to me.

4. JMS

JMS 02

Sounds like more of a tire balance issue.

5. paulbow

paulbow

My Grand Prix started doing it shortly before I got rid of it. The torque converter clutch has trouble locking up and thus the hesitation. I drove the car for 6 months with it doing it before I got rid of it.

Your transmission's days are numbered :crying:

6. The_Hunter

The_Hunter

Is it speed or RPM dependent? If its speed then its a wheel/tire/syspension issue. If its RMP dependent then its a drive train issue.

Answer that and then I can give you more

7. paulbow

paulbow

My car did it when the trans would go into lockup which would be roughly 35-45 mph. It would only do it while I was on the gas under slight acceleration.

As it got worse it would happen at highway speeds while going up hills.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  8. paulbow

paulbow

Regal GS = Series II Supercharged 3800

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  9. GlockSupremacy

GlockSupremacy Recycle Kids!

Most likely (99.9% sure) it is the torque converter clutch solenoid. The TCC only engages under the conditions you described.

You could have a backyard mechanic replace the solenoid on the cheap pretty easily if you know one.

Or you could just drive the car until something major in the transmission lets go.. it all depends on the kind of mindset a person takes to cars, condition of the car etc.

Are you on your first set of intake gaskets?

10. Reignman

Reignman

pm'd my number... call me.

11. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Put the car into second or third, see if it still does it.
    Sounds like transmission woes to me.

12. Marc1956

Marc1956 CLM #66

I'm thinking that the flicker fluid could be low or the muffler bearing may be worn.

I'm sorry. Somebody had to! :supergrin: :wavey:

13. Arquebus12

Arquebus12 Non-broccophobe CLM

Start with the basics. Get another battery installed, because everything begins and ends there. On board electronics can behave radically different if system voltage dips just a tenth of a volt below a certain point, and the effects of such a problem can cascade, causing secondary problems.

Once it's installed, make sure you're not discharging the battery while it sits with everything off; this will ensure that all you had was a bad battery in the first place, and not an unwanted draw. Clocks/memory/ will always draw a little voltage... connect an accurate multimeter to the battery after the car's been shut off for at least 2 hours. Read and note the voltage, which should be about 12.4 volts or so on a healthy battery. Then disconnect the negative terminal, isolating the batt; if the voltage goes up more than .15 volts, somethings shorting out, and you'll have to isolate it then repair it.

I'd start there if it were my ride. The KISS principle is always in effect.

14. paulbow

paulbow

This is a possibility. The other being the valve body has something going on. He should take it to a trans shop to be sure.

15. paulbow

paulbow

The supercharged cars have less of an issue with intake problems.

16. GlockSupremacy

GlockSupremacy Recycle Kids!

Best response yet!

I am guessing a qualified tech that has given advice over the internet before??

To the op: take him up on this offer.

17. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

Dang nice of you.

18. Bigworm74

Bigworm74

i have had a bad tire do the same thing to me until it blew up on the highway

19. plasticgunz

plasticgunz Swollen Member CLM

I had something similar happen to me and it turned out to be a bad tire also. There was a bulge directly in the center of the tread, a little bigger than a grapefruit.

20. pjrocco

pjrocco Rock

Thanks for all the responses so far... It seems to only happen in third or four gear, but I'll put that to the test this evening.

I'm going to pick up a battery tomorrow after work and see what happens in the respect.